Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Probin' Johnsons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seidaku
Just how foolish would it be to mindprobe a johnson before deciding to take a run?
BitBasher
That depends widely on the game. In most games the target knows they are mindprobed, and mindprobe holds a Felony charge associated with it similar to rape.

The Johnson will likely have you all killed ASAP outright.

In a game with little to no consequences for actions, go crazy.

This all depends on the GM.
Seidaku
QUOTE (BitBasher)
In most games the target knows they are mindprobed, and mindprobe holds a Felony charge associated with it similar to rape.

Is there any canon basis for this, or just a commonly held interpretation? Either is fine, I'm just curious.
Nikoli
Look law chapter in the Seattle Survival Guide, I think it's covered there.
And if the Johnson offers to let you probe, walk away immediately and consider some plactic surgery pdq.
Solstice
only with lots of lube
Siege
According to the BBB, it doesn't state that subjects of a Mind Probe spell are consciously aware of the spell. Of course, it doesn't state that the subject is unaware either.

Most GMs I know would rule that the subject is aware of the spell and will react accordingly.

If your GM rules that subject is aware, then I'd refrain from doing it because odds are nobody likes intruders entering uninvited and you can expect things to go to frag pretty fast.

If the subject is unaware of the spell, then go for it. Be advised that if the Johnson finds out, his response will be much the same as above. Additionally, magical support may tip him off to the runners and the spell.

Personally, I'd just skip it and not risk getting fragged in the process. Odds are, the Johnson won't have all the details and will only be presenting the details that were presented to him. Check the description of Johnsons in SotA (I think that's the book).

For all practical purposes, they're given a script and a budget and told to make it happen.

-Siege
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Siege)
According to the BBB, it doesn't state that subjects of a Mind Probe spell are consciously aware of the spell. Of course, it doesn't state that the subject is unaware either.

Not exactly canon rules, but there have been some mentions in the more recent, third edition at least, adventure sourcebooks about how during the meet if the PC's try to mindprobe the Johnson he'll know and get pissed. I'll try and dig them up.
Sunday_Gamer
I'm from the school of mind probe being felt by the target, they might not know they were mind probed depending on who they are, but a Johnson would know what just happened and that would be the same thing as saying:

" We refuse your offer and think you should start shooting at us now."

So I would say, bad idea. If however your GM says a mind probe is invisible and there's no magic anywhere near the Johnson, you might get away with it.

Kong
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Seidaku @ Feb 13 2004, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Feb 13 2004, 08:16 PM)
In most games the target knows they are mindprobed, and mindprobe holds a Felony charge associated with it similar to rape.

Is there any canon basis for this, or just a commonly held interpretation? Either is fine, I'm just curious.

The rules for noticing spellcasting are a Perception test vs. TN 4 + magic rating of caster - force of spell, an additional -2 if there's a Shamanic Mask visible. That's canon.

It's a bad, bad, BAD idea unless you've got a magic rating of at least 9 or 10, since if I remember correctly a good Mindprobe has to be Force 5 or 6 to hit any decently-Willpowered Johnson.

~J
Siege
The problem is, perception test modifiers apply -- which leads me to believe it's a physical viewing of the subject casting a spell and not realizing the influence of magic on the subject.

If the subject is unable to view the caster, no perception check is possible and the spell effect is still valid (or so I would think).

-Siege
Kanada Ten
Perception includes sound, hearing, touch, and taste too (as do the modifiers). The spell "affected sense" could be unique to the spell. Mind probe might just be feeling one ruffle through the thoughts...
Glyph
Mind Probe is not a mental manipulation spell; it is a detection spell. The only thing suggesting that the subject would feel anything is that stupid story at the start of the Second Edition book. Personally, I think it would be a pretty useless spell if the subject could "feel" it. I prefer it as an inobtrusive spell - that fits in with the overall paranoia of the game, and the phobia that the general public has about mages (namely, that someone who looks completely normal could telekinetically push them out into traffic or read their dirty secrets, by doing little more than thinking about it).

I think it's usually a really dumb idea to use on a Johnson, though. Most of them will have a high Willpower, and I imagine that any Johnson meeting a spellslinger will have some spell defense on tap - and even if the character "wins", the Johnson's wage mage will still let him know that the PC tried to cast a spell. And I agree that such a spell being detected, by either side, is likely to result in a very violent reaction.
Mark Somers
I'd tend to decide how noticeable the use of Mind Probe is by just how invasive the spell was at the time. If you're just scanning surface thoughts then the target probably doesn't have any idea of it beyond the standard rules for noticing spell casting. As soon as the spell become interrogative rather than passive, however, I'd say the target would probably notice immediately. In a way it comes down to whether you view the spell as dredging up old memories and thoughts or whether it's merely 'viewing' those memories. The rules are pretty vague about the whole thing, really.

Of course, a good magician with Control Thoughts/Actions and Alter Memory can get away with being a bull in a china shop. biggrin.gif
k1tsune
I keep remembering in TRFH when Yves kept casting Control Thoughts and such on all the corp people. You know. When it became TRFH.
Kagetenshi
Yeah. We've had bad experiences with Control Thoughts. Or at least they did. My experience was rather wonderful. I was in a run that almost went south when someone detected a mindprobe, though; fortunately the perpetrator cut and ran and I managed to pass myself off as an innocent bystander (effective charisma 11, gotta love the cultured tailored pheremones).

~J
The White Dwarf
Mind Probe = bad
Checking up with Legwork = good

Definatly look into the J but maybe not so straightforward, regardless of if he notices or not, if he ever finds out it would be *bad*.
Siege
The topic of this particular thread still bothers me.

-Siege
DigitalMage
I'd be inclined to agree that Mindprobe is felt by the victim, otherwise it devalues the other spells such as Analyse Truth. It is still immensely powerful and useful spell though.
The Burning One
Just remind yourself that anything you can do to an NPC and NPC can do to you.

For those advocating the undetectable mind probe spell what stops your GM from probing the low WIL character in your group and getting a full list of the crimes your group has committed? I mean they'll never notice, their chances of resisting are slim to none. Think about it, an awakened mage/shaman without even initiating should be able to mindprobe your fave orc/troll sammy and find out not only what you've been up to but where all the bodies are buried. The best part of it is that you wouldn't have a clue it had happened until it was way too late for you to dig yourselves out of the grave they'd made for you.

Sure it's not going to happen out of the blue but the chances are after you've been around for a bit one law enforcement agency or another (or god forbid criminal organization/corp) is going to catch wind of your actions. Then all they need to do is send their resident mind mage to probe the afore mentioned Low WIL sammy through a telescope and bam, you're screwed. Blackmail information on old runs, locations of family members/dependants, the combo to the lock on your squat, who knows?

Seriously think about this, or more to the point be a little concerned that your GM might have already done so.

TBO
Siege
Here's an interesting spin -- wouldn't a subject had to have been mind probed before and told what was happening (or what had happened) so (s)he could identify the experience?

Otherwise it's just another sensation or feeling that they have nothing to attribute it to and will chalk it up to something else entirely.

-Siege
The Burning One
Perhaps, but if something suddently started playing fast forward and rewind with your brain what would you attribute it to. A psychlogical breakdown?

TBO
Siege
Provided that's the effect of the spell -- or you could find yourself in reflection, wondering why this or that crept into your mind.

It might even be an entirely different sensation and you're not aware of specifically of someone reading your thoughts and examining your memories.

"Oh no, I'm being mindprobed!" is probably not an immediate reaction. Unless, of course, you have something to compare it to.

-Siege
ShadowPhoenix
Brainscan 1st meeting with johnson, it states that if the players mindprobe there is a chance he will detect it, and if he detects it and believes that his mission was compromised he will immediately blow his brains out. if he doesn't believe his mission was compromised he will simply get up walk out and notify the players that they will never work in seattle again. This portion of the book says to me strongly that mindprobe is detectable, and quite possibly, the affected might even be able to tell what you're digging up. I'll get a page ref when I get home.
Kagetenshi
As I keep saying every so often, the TN for noticing magic of any variety is 4+Magic-Force. I see no reason why that wouldn't apply to Mindprobe.

~J
Shadow
If you are blasted by a fireball do you have to make perception check to see it? No. You make a perception check to see if the mage is casting, not to notice the effects of it. I would think someone battering your will down and forcing themselves into your mind would be noticeable. That is what a will power check is, your mind resisting the alien entry with everything it has. I don't think it would go unnoticed.

BitBasher
As I keep saying every so often, the TN for noticing magic of any variety is 4+Magic-Force. I see no reason why that wouldn't apply to Mindprobe.
Because the difficulty of noticing someone cast a spell, and the feeling of being hit with a spell are two entirely different things. One is just noticing that someone you are looking at cast, and the other is nothing that you are the target fo a spell. Those two events don't even have to be related.
Siege
QUOTE (Shadow)
If you are blasted by a fireball do you have to make perception check to see it? No. You make a perception check to see if the mage is casting, not to notice the effects of it. I would think someone battering your will down and forcing themselves into your mind would be noticeable. That is what a will power check is, your mind resisting the alien entry with everything it has. I don't think it would go unnoticed.

How can you resist something you don't see coming? How do you maintain a mental defense against magical spells?

The discussion revolving around whether or not a subject knows if he's the subject of a mindprobe spell is identical to the current discussion on what the effects of the spell happens to be.

If the special effect of Mindprobe is the feel of cold fingers shuffling through your mind or an overwhelming presence settling on your head, sifting through every memory you've ever had -- then yes, I agree the subject would be aware and probably do everything within his power to resist.

However, if the special effect is far more subtle, then the subject may not be aware of the spell. A cool breeze blows through you -- that nobody else notices, for example.

-Siege
atoga
I don't see anything wrong with physically threatening a Johnson before accepting a job and/or taking all of their cred. Beats most runs, anyway, as long as you can cover the nasty affair up. So mind probing certainly isn't out of the question.
ShadowPhoenix
As I think a few people have said, there are 3rd edition canonical references to mindprobe use and johnsons, and the facts are according to canon adventures, the johnson can resist, and can detect mind probes, without another person notifying him of the intrusion. This would make me believe that mindprobes are detectable, especially by trusted employees of corps who deal with untrustworthy scum like Shadowrunners. These people are actually probably highly trained to be wary of this kind of affront to good etiquette.
Siege
This does beg an interesting question -- how many runners use Astral security precautions when meeting with a Johnson?

-Siege
toturi
Mine? All the time. Watchers, spell defense, the works.
ShadowGhost
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

So you need a perception test to be aware that you've just been hit by a force 6 Serious Manabolt with four successes? eek.gif

This test is to notice a spell *being* cast.... not to notice if you've been *hit* by a spell.

I'd say Mindprobe is a noticeable and subtle as an anal probe.

Now if the target is unconscious, that's different.
toturi
Does that mean that you'll know if someone hit you with a Detect Life? Both Mindprobe and Detect Life are Detection spells you know? If so, wouldn't the Detection line of spells suck even bigger time?
Kanada Ten
Only if you are in the area affect when the spell is cast. Mindprobe must always be cast on individual targets, thus the target shall always make a perception test to notice the casting.

Whether the effect is only noticed by sight is another matter.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (toturi)
Does that mean that you'll know if someone hit you with a Detect Life? Both Mindprobe and Detect Life are Detection spells you know? If so, wouldn't the Detection line of spells suck even bigger time?

Would you then say that Spell Shield and Transform into a chimpanzee offer the target the exact same chances of noticing they have been targeted by a spell?

Just because spells are of the same class doesn't have to mean they work in the exact same way.
toturi
A Transformed chimp would know he's been Transformed only if he suceeds in a Perception test, most probably TN 2. If the dumb thing is a bloody snail to begin with, you think the snail would be smart enough to notice the difference? "Oooo, I'm a big snail now!"
Hasaku
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 20 2004, 05:47 PM)
Only if you are in the area affect when the spell is cast. Mindprobe must always be cast on individual targets, thus the target shall always make a perception test to notice the casting.

Whether the effect is only noticed by sight is another matter.

The target may make a perception test to notice the effect of mind probe (if I'm feeling generous to the caster, otherwise it's automatic), but the perception test to notice casting is only made if the target can see the caster. Using the stealth skill (and succeeding), targeting a blind person, or even just targeting someone when their back is turned all negate the perception test for the target. Obviously someone else in the area may be positioned to notice.

In my games, tests to notice spellcasting are all visual. You may take a geas that requires you to chant the three magic words whenever you cast a spell, but AFAIK there's no canon rule that states you must make magical utterances during spellcasting. Most (hermetic) spellcasters would do something to indicate they're casting a spell, anything from a hard stare to moving lips and small hand motions, subconciously. My magical PCs all do something when they cast spells unless they specifically state they're concentrating on maintaining a normal appearance. They may give up sorcery dice to increase the target number to notice spellcasting at a 1:1 ratio, representing their divided attention between casting the spell and suppressing their normal tics and unintended gestures. Shamans can't really do much about the shamanic mask.

This, of course, is a house rule.
BitBasher
How can you resist something you don't see coming? How do you maintain a mental defense against magical spells?
ou automatically get to resist spells, whether aware of them or not, even if unconscious. In fact, all spells (Except beneficial health spells) are automatically resisted when unconcsious including Mind Probe.

So obviously you can resist a spell you can't see coming.
Siege
QUOTE (BitBasher)
ou automatically get to resist spells, whether aware of them or not, even if unconscious. In fact, all spells (Except beneficial health spells) are automatically resisted when unconcsious including Mind Probe.

So obviously you can resist a spell you can't see coming.

I was unaware of that. Interesting.

-Siege
bit_buckethead
In the book First Run, in the module Supernova on page 23 it states that the Johnson named Nigel "has been trained to notice this spell and knows what it does. If a character uses Mind Probe. Nigel makes a Perception Test against the Force of the spell. If Nigel achieves even 1 success, he walks out of the meet". So I think that the spell has a define feel to it, but it requires training to recognize the feeling for what it is. I guess the training would be GM's call.

Just my two bits.
Bit_Buckethead
Nikoli
Read Plus ca Change in the BBB. The decker girl definitely knew she was being probed and didn't much care for it, nor did the mage's friend.
Kanada Ten
The difference being that Plus ca Change is is Second Edition and First Run is Third.
Nikoli
My mistake. Forgot, 3rd bbb had the run gone wrong in the facility
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 19 2004, 07:42 PM)

~J

So you need a perception test to be aware that you've just been hit by a force 6 Serious Manabolt with four successes? eek.gif

This test is to notice a spell *being* cast.... not to notice if you've been *hit* by a spell.

I'd say Mindprobe is a noticeable and subtle as an anal probe.

Now if the target is unconscious, that's different.

Yes, I would say so. Actually, I wouldn't allow you to notice that at all, as the spell would kick you straight to unconsciousness and near-death. If it only had one success and was unresisted, though, I'd say that the target would be able to surmise that they'd been hit with a magical attack, but the only way to differentiate between powerbolt, powerball, stunbolt, or stunball would be by observing the effects (Perception test). Actually, under some circumstances I might rule a manabolt to be difficult to differentiate from a club to the back of the head.

~J
Seidaku
Not to derail the thread (since I think it is quite informative), but how do people deal with Control Thoughts? Similar situation.. if the subject knows their thoughts are being controlled (or remembers afterward), why use that spell instead of Control Actions? Sure, you don't have the -4 to tns, but you also have the constant chances for the subject to fight off the spell. This is another one I think could really use some extra description (same with Alter Memory).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012