Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PhotoShop just got Smarter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Draco18s
This first video is just fucking crazy. The one under it is just freaking cool. And at the bottom of the page is another demo of the same tool as the first video.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
That is pretty impressive indeed...

Gotta love technological momentum...

Keep the Faith
nemafow
Thats pretty neat

EDIT: EXTREMELY NEAT
SpellBinder
Nifty and scary at the same time. Was almost hoping the program has some way to embed info into the image file that it's been altered, but then also realized in the next moment that such info can be cut out anyway.
Caadium
?!?!?!

Nice!
Draco18s
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Mar 25 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Nifty and scary at the same time. Was almost hoping the program has some way to embed info into the image file that it's been altered, but then also realized in the next moment that such info can be cut out anyway.

We're going to have a dastardly hard time creating un-removable watermarks after that tool gets out.

The only thing I can think of is LSB Alterations, which can't be seen by the naked eye.
Squinky
I think it is cool, but I can see the little smudges left behind in the grass. I'd think there is still a good deal of real work to be done there.

Still, pretty neat.
IceKatze
hi hi

It has already been here for at least 3 years. Just a heads up.
Daylen
the real way to spot fakes has been for a while simply looking for digital aberrations (although this can be from compression instead) and a lack of optical aberration. makes more of a case for being a cynic when large amounts of money and power are at stake.
AngelisStorm
... how does it know? O-o

That's some crazy stuff yo.
IceKatze
hi hi

If you look at the link I posted earlier, it explains exactly how it knows. There is a plugin for GIMP readily available that does this.
Liquid Rescale
Daylen
QUOTE (AngelisStorm @ Mar 27 2010, 01:38 AM) *
... how does it know? O-o

That's some crazy stuff yo.

Math.
Mantis
Yea now when is this available? Not the resizer, the 'content aware' fill and healing brushes. That would be super useful and a time saver. I hate going through a photo doing all that manually. Touch ups are a given.
Adam
Adobe has announced that they will announce CS5 availability on April 12th.

(And at the risk of being a jerkpants: It's Photoshop, not PhotoShop. No StudlyCaps needed!)
Mantis
Thanks Adam. I love PR. They announced that they are going to have an announcement. It's like starting a conversation by saying you are going to start a conversation. I understand why its done and all but it still sounds goofy if you think about it. I suppose that's why advertisers don't want you to think.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mantis @ Mar 26 2010, 09:29 PM) *
Thanks Adam. I love PR. They announced that they are going to have an announcement. It's like starting a conversation by saying you are going to start a conversation. I understand why its done and all but it still sounds goofy if you think about it. I suppose that's why advertisers don't want you to think.

Hear about the woman who was charged with prostitution to get World Series tickets?

They found her not-guilty of prostitution, but guilty of attempted prostitution ("attempted prostitution"? Isn't that "solicitation"?).
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Mar 26 2010, 07:16 PM) *

Yeah, that video is the second one listed on the link in the original post.

the image rescale (more like dynamic hiding of image elements to fit a frame size), and the new photoshop tool is two different things (for the most part, i think the rescale also allowed to remove objects without affecting image size).

still, the new photoshop tool already exist in gimp form, iirc.
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer/removal
Method
That is impressive. Of course, I'm not sure how that will help me make maps for SR, which is the main thing I use PS for anyway... biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
but it can give a nice impression of what a enterprising hacker with a edit program can get up to with the "evidence" wink.gif
knasser
Is this real? Wow! The thing is, by SR2072, this wouldn't be rating 6. This would be a standard rating 2.

Most of the the time in that video was the demonstrator talking, making mouse clicks etc. Give the program some principles on which to make those decisions and you're approaching real time for some of those edits (removing the tree and the lens flare, etc).
Ol' Scratch
You just described the Negator Environmental AR Software from Unwired. It completely erases anything you want it to from simsense and video feeds in real time. Probably the single most overpowered piece of software in the game in the right hands. And all for a measly 100¥.
knasser
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Mar 27 2010, 08:49 AM) *
You just described the Negator Environmental AR Software from Unwired. It completely erases anything you want it to from simsense and video feeds in real time. Probably the single most overpowered piece of software in the game in the right hands. And all for a measly 100¥.

So hack security cameras. Feed all video through your Nexus running Edit programs, remove yourself from all images. I'm picturing an older man walking calmly through an Ares compound ignored by all security measures to steal some precious new nanomaterial. His name is FastJack.

K.
Ol' Scratch
Or just create a worm with Replicator, Negator, Stealth, and Exploit (or whatever other combination floats your boat). Feed it into a security system, tell it to infect every device it can find, and have it edit out your entire team.
Draco18s
QUOTE (knasser @ Mar 27 2010, 04:42 AM) *
Is this real? Wow! The thing is, by SR2072, this wouldn't be rating 6. This would be a standard rating 2.

Touche. But by reverse depredation rules.... wink.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 27 2010, 03:31 AM) *
That is impressive. Of course, I'm not sure how that will help me make maps for SR, which is the main thing I use PS for anyway... biggrin.gif

I suspect it will be an interesting way to generate and randomize textures to fill areas with ...
Mongoose
Indeed, it would be fun to get your hands on that program and try throwing really weird input at it to see what it comes up with. What happens if you "context sensitive delete" a chunk of the Mandelbrot set? How about a Penrose tiling? Or a field of random colored pixels? A moire pattern? Beyond the amusement factor, the mathematical basis behind the results might have applications to preventing counterfitting, designing camoflauge, etc.

Hmm, its also suspiciously close to the kind of intelegent interpolation you might need to use for a Ruthenium based chamelion suit.
knasser
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Mar 28 2010, 01:14 AM) *
Indeed, it would be fun to get your hands on that program and try throwing really weird input at it to see what it comes up with. What happens if you "context sensitive delete" a chunk of the Mandelbrot set? How about a Penrose tiling? Or a field of random colored pixels? A moire pattern? Beyond the amusement factor, the mathematical basis behind the results might have applications to preventing counterfitting, designing camoflauge, etc.

Hmm, its also suspiciously close to the kind of intelegent interpolation you might need to use for a Ruthenium based chamelion suit.

I'm going to "context-sensitive fill" over the Lifting rules in my SR4A PDF and see if it can replace them with something sensible.

K.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Mar 27 2010, 08:14 PM) *
What happens if you "context sensitive delete" a chunk of the Mandelbrot set?

Good question!

*Gets his paws on a 4000x4000 pixel image of the Mandelbrot set and removes a chunk with the GIMP plugin*

FAIL (100 pixel search radius).
FAIL (500 pixel search radius).
FAIL (1000 pixel search radius).

http://i44.tinypic.com/5zi88z.png

How about a Penrose tiling?

Also fail, but at least somewhat right.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2jdjaki.png

Or a field of random colored pixels?

Nothing interesting. Different random pixels.

A moire pattern?

Depended entirely on what I was deleting.
http://i43.tinypic.com/4l4wo9.png
http://i39.tinypic.com/2dirpjs.png

After further tests I have determined that the GIMP plugin is shit. I tried to delete a patch of scales on a reptile laying on sand and got a patch of SAND.
Mantis
Thanks. I won't bother with it then. I thought maybe GIMP could do it since I use that on occasion too.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mantis @ Mar 28 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Thanks. I won't bother with it then. I thought maybe GIMP could do it since I use that on occasion too.

That was the GIMP plugin. Not having CS5 I can't test that tool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012