Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Commlink Modification: Optimization
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
D2F
Hey there, everyone!
As the tread title already spells out: I am stuck in a rules question. Can you buy the commlink modification "Optimization" for your Firewall software?

QUOTE (p.198 Unwired)
Optimization
This modification optimizes the device’s processor and components to enhance one particular program, applying a +1 dice pool modifier for all tests using that software. Each device may only be optimized once.

I bolded the two relevant words that are the source of my confusion. Firewalls can be "programed". They are classified as "software".
Now the question is: does "program" in this context exclusively refer to common use and hacking programs or to all entries listed under software. Personally, I am leaning towards the "only common use and hacking programs" option, but I am uncertain.

Any thoughts?
Ol' Scratch
It shouldn't, but there's no reason that I'm aware of that it can't as per the rules. Good thing GMs exist to keep things in check when they feel something's inbalanced or prone to abuse. smile.gif
Faraday
Funkenstein is pretty much correct. Really, though, optimizing for firewall is little more effective than optimizing for the armor program.
D2F
Thanks for the feedback to both of you =)
Saint Sithney

Well, firewalls don't take up system resources and are basically part of the OS, so I'd have to say the nay-no. It's not listed under the Program heading in BBB at least..

Malachi
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Mar 30 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Well, firewalls don't take up system resources and are basically part of the OS, so I'd have to say the nay-no. It's not listed under the Program heading in BBB at least..

Agreed. A software firewall certainly falls under the English definition of a "program" but what's important is the game definition, and the game repeatedly does not classify Firewall as a "program."
nemafow
QUOTE (Malachi @ Mar 31 2010, 03:24 PM) *
Agreed. A software firewall certainly falls under the English definition of a "program" but what's important is the game definition, and the game repeatedly does not classify Firewall as a "program."

I agree, real life terms vs Shadowrun definition/as intended.
Ol' Scratch
Funny. SR4A p. 330 seems to think it's a Matrix Program considering, you know, that it's on the Matrix Program table along with Agents (which is what I'd use Optimization on if I were being cheesy), System and Autosofts in addition to Common Use and Hacking.
D2F
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Mar 31 2010, 06:13 AM) *
Funny. SR4A p. 330 seems to think it's a Matrix Program considering, you know, that it's on the Matrix Program table along with Agents (which is what I'd use Optimization on if I were being cheesy), System and Autosofts in addition to Common Use and Hacking.

Damn it, you're right. I could slap myself for not reading that earlier. Doh!

And even more than just that, Agents and IC are under the "Program" Chapter p.232 in SR4A as well. Though, Firewall and system are not (as they are mentioned under matrix attributes instead).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (D2F @ Mar 31 2010, 03:38 AM) *
Any thoughts?

Optimize for Analyse.

No questions anymore, same effect on detecting hacking, much more useful as used in matrix perception tests.
D2F
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Mar 31 2010, 01:32 PM) *
Optimize for Analyse.

No questions anymore, same effect on detecting hacking, much more useful as used in matrix perception tests.

My question wasn't so much about actual application for one of my characters but about the limits of the optimization modification itself. I knew that it worked for analyze. I just wasn't sure about firewall, system or agents.

Funkenstein provided me with the last bit of info I needed to make up my mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012