Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwarf Splat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bushw4cker
Using the Arsenal rules for improvised throwing weapons, throwing a metahuman. A dwarf thrown by a dragon with Strength 35 would do only (Dwarf Body)S damage, and could only be thrown about 15 meters. (STR-BOD)/2 A troll falling from sky hitting old lady would only knock her out?.(Troll Body)S I'm looking for advice on making a house rule for damage done by metahumans thrown or dropped with super-human strength. I have situation in upcoming run where this possibly might come up. Don't ask.

Thanks
nezumi
You could default to SR3 rules for drones moving at high speed smile.gif (You'd just need to translate the damage codes over.)

The power of the thrown object is going to be set by its speed. I don't know that SR has a mechanic for determining speed, but I suppose some sort of Strength or Athletics test would be appropriate.

Once you determine speed, set by the strength test (with a target number based primarily on the mass of the object), the number would be reduced by the object's drag (which will be significant with a dwarf trying not to be thrown). You'll also want to modify the target number to hit, because the dwarf is not perfectly balanced and aerodynamic, and is indeed actually moving and shifting his center of mass. This would be a hefty modifier as well - but that determines whether you hit or not, not the base damage of the dwarf-weapon.

Once you have speed (in m/turn), I'd translate from the SR3 rules - speed/10 is the power. Damage level (for a vehicle or other object getting hit by a metahuman) is also based off of speed. Speed of 1-20 is 0(0). 21-60 is L(1). 61-200 is M(3). 201+ is S(6). Arguably, a troll is closer to a vehicle, and so the damage level goes up by a notch. Also, based off the rules, it could be read that a metahuman hitting another metahuman would also increase the damage level by a notch.

(Remember that m/turn converts to mph when multiplied by .75, and km/hr when multiplied by 1.2. So a dwarf travelling at 100 mph translates to 133 m/turn, which is 10M damage - about as much as getting hit by an Ares Predator.)

Also note that damage will also occur to the dwarf. If the dwarf is hitting a solid object or vehicle, the damage level will be:
Speed of 1-20 is M(3). 21-60 is S(6). 61-200 is D(10). 201+ is Asplode(10 + 50% to the power). Power stays the same.

Edit: As an aside, a dwarf's terminal velocity is going to be pretty hard set. A skydriver's terminal velocity is 124 mph. With arms stretched, it's still 120mph.

That translates to 160 m/turn - 16M damage to a wall or building. 16S to another metahuman. No matter how hard you throw, you won't be able to beat that, without putting your dwarf into a bullet suit.

Second edit: Record for intentional super speed skydiving is about 320mph. So if the dwarf WANTED to really splat, he could manage 32S, or really, arguably, 32D to that vehicle. But at that point, he's going out of his way to kill himself. Granted, "dwarf bullet thrown by dragon with enough force to destroy a helicopter" is still a pretty awesome way to go.
Stahlseele
I think in SR3 Damage of thrown Metahuman was Body M Stun and was Resisted with Body after you deducted your own worn Impact Armor from the Flying Body Rating.
And the thrown Body took damage of Target Body minus the thrown Impact Armor.
Ol' Scratch
He's more concerned by the fact that throwing a metahuman (which uses the metahuman's Body to determine the damage) doesn't rely on the thrower's Strength at all. So it doesn't matter if you have a Strength of 1 or 100, you'll do the same amount of damage if you chunk a Body 4 dwarf at someone. But if you were throwing, say, a chair, the amount of damage you did would be drastically different.

The solution is pretty simple, just change the damage code to something you prefer. I'd probably start with (Thrower's STR/2 + Metahuman's BOD/3) and see how that worked out. The range of a thrown metahuman body is no different than other improvised weapons, so you'd just need to come up with something that suits your tastes there on your own. I don't see why a thrown troll and a thrown 8-ball would go the same distance myself, but I believe they do. I don't have my books with me to confirm right now.
KnightRunner
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Apr 2 2010, 01:42 PM) *
I have situation in upcoming run where this possibly might come up. Don't ask.

Thanks

Aww tell us please. I, for one, am dying to know.
Lok1 :)
QUOTE (KnightRunner @ Apr 2 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Aww tell us please. I, for one, am dying to know.

Second!
Neowulf
For bodies falling on someone (or really any objects), you could use the falling damage rules and apply it to both the falling troll and the poor old lady the troll fell on.

You might also expand on it a little, like subtract the body rating of the ground person from the damage the falling body takes.
Stahlseele
Yeah, Falling/Ramming-Damage.
Simply use body x distance thrown or something.
OK, it would get pretty ugly pretty fast, but come on!
Electric Blue Mohawks and the such! ^^
darthmord
Ya know... if I have a dragon punch a runner, I fully expect said runner to blow through the wall like it was paper. 40+ strength is nothing to sneeze at.

Besides, if punched, he should do more than just stun damage to another living being upon impact. If he's moving fast enough to blow through a wall, the pink skin getting smushed with him should more resemble a greasy smear than intact but unconscious person.
Pepsi Jedi
*nods* I have to agree. Getting in a fist fight with a dragon in my games is sort of like "I dive on the grenade to save my friends" sorta move.

That's nice.

Roll a new char.

No you're not soaking a grenade to the belly, even with your troll dermal skin armor. You're dead"

Sorta things.

I must say though, the thoughts of using metahumanity as projectile weaponry makes me grin just a little on the inside.

Stahlseele
Bu that's NOT what's supposed to happen.
You are a Troll. 300 to 400 kilo of 3m tall Muscle and Armor.
And wearing close to mil-spec armor too.
What's SUPPOSED to happen is: Grenade does X Damage.
You can soak through your superior Body Y Damage.
If Y is HIGHER than X, NOTHING happens and you can say:"Ow, that stung"
If Y is LOWER than Y, You get the difference in Damage applied:"FRAG! Remind me to NOT do that again!"

In SR3, i had a Troll that went up against a small feathered serpent in unarmed combat. Boxing. With 2 Cyber-Arms. Strength 16.
A Body of 16 too. And 10 Points of Armor. Yes damn it, i got into overflow damage. in the 3rd Round of Combat. Only got saved by being blown away from the dragon by an Ares Great Dragon ATGM Projectile killing the Dragon and blowing my Character through the side of a Truck. I only lived because we had told one of the mages we were supposed to guard to stay hidden in there and do support. He healed me enough that i did not bleed to death. i was still one box before deadly damage, but i lived to tell about it damn it!
THIS IS SHADOWRUN!
Trolls are SUPPOSED to do stupid awesome stuff and live to tell about it.
Angelone
I think the damage should be str/2+ bod/2.

Some how this topic got me thinking about gnomechucks.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 2 2010, 05:46 PM) *
THIS IS SHADOWRUN!

This line just doesn't have as much impact without a nearby pit to kick someone into.
Stahlseele
*punts a random elf into a random pit*
KnightRunner
Suddenly remembers a troll PC shooting someone with a grenade launcher......in a steel elevator........standing over the target in the elevator with him.......with the doors closed.

This was way back in Second edition, using the "chunky salsa" grenade-in-confined-spaces rules. The Troll lived, just barely.
Mongoose
In sr3, I had an elf who just whipped out his Franchi Spaz (APDS slugs) and blew the Feathered Serpent away. Later in the same adventure, he clean dodged a panther cannon round while flat naked.

Sr3 was a lot like band camp....
Stahlseele
Fun to remember, embarassing to talk about?
nezumi
QUOTE (KnightRunner @ Apr 2 2010, 06:23 PM) *
Suddenly remembers a troll PC shooting someone with a grenade launcher......in a steel elevator........standing over the target in the elevator with him.......with the doors closed.

This was way back in Second edition, using the "chunky salsa" grenade-in-confined-spaces rules. The Troll lived, just barely.

And this touches on my problem...

How do you calculate chunky salsa when you're ON TOP OF the grenade? Should laying on top of the grenade really cause less damage than standing in an elevator shaft next to it?
Rotbart van Dainig
No. By RAW, Chunky Salsa only works horizontally. Otherwise, damage for explosives detonated on the ground would double on the point of impact.

But don't even try to think to hard about it: From the scatter rules, to the no-staging rules to the reflection rules, the rules for explosives are so fundamentelly b0rken that there is no point in savaging them at all. Just treat explosives like indirect combat spells, except for the degradation/range thing and use scatter for glitches only.
KnightRunner
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Apr 3 2010, 06:19 AM) *
No. By RAW, Chunky Salsa only works horizontally. Otherwise, damage for explosives detonated on the ground would double on the point of impact.

But that is kind of what does happen when someone throws them self on a grenade. They absorb all/most of the explosive force to save others. I am certain the amount of force received from 1 cm away is far more than at just 1 meter away.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's why there is degradation ove distance.
Bushw4cker
FOCUS!!
Bushw4cker
FOCUS!!
Stahlseele
Nah, Grenade-Focus does not work.
It stops after leaving your hand.

What? ^^
Godwyn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 3 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Nah, Grenade-Focus does not work.
It stops after leaving your hand.

What? ^^

Ah, but what if it is a grenade weapon focus? You make the attack roll before it leaves your hand. . .

Now that I think of it that seems like a really awesome grenade, though a bit karma heavy.\

I think part of it is that SR is designed to be played, with a gm and all. At some point the gm is expected to take over and say, no, without burning edge you are not living from jumping out of the suborbital flight, no matter how awesome.

I think the collateral damage makes more sense than the amount of damage the thrown metahuman takes. While there may be a lot of force behind the throw, which is going to hurt the missile when it punches through walls or whatever else, generally, unless the old lady is hit directly into the ground, or is secured in some way, she will not fully stop the missile. This means that, however fast/hard the missile/dwarf is thrown, it will only transfer a fraction of that force to the old lady. Still having plenty left over for that wall just up ahead.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Angelone @ Apr 2 2010, 04:43 PM) *
Some how this topic got me thinking about gnomechucks.
Gopherchucks!!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Apr 4 2010, 12:37 AM) *
Ah, but what if it is a grenade weapon focus? You make the attack roll before it leaves your hand. . .

Now that I think of it that seems like a really awesome grenade, though a bit karma heavy.\

The holy Handgrenade of Antioch?
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Apr 4 2010, 12:44 AM) *
Gopherchucks!!

"But Chosen One, I'd like to help you, but I, I, I, I, I , I, I just can't. I won't! WEE-OOH, WEE-OOH!"
Godwyn
It all makes sense now! The rabbit was just a really expensive biodrone.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Godwyn @ Apr 3 2010, 04:10 PM) *
It all makes sense now! The rabbit was just a really expensive biodrone.
And the Holy Handgrenade had an anchored spell on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012