Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Demolish (Gun) spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Space Ghost
Okay, I'm trying to figure out exactly how this works. It would be cool to play a mage that could wipe out all the guns in a 6-meter radius without causing any other collateral damage, but I'm not going to bother unless the guns are completely destroyed. So...
1. What's the OR of a gun?
2. How many structure boxes does a gun have?
3. What's the armor rating of a gun? This one is more important for the Sludge (Gun) spell.

Are there any solid stats out there, or is it all up to the GM? If it is a GM judgement call, what do you all think?
Tanegar
Per the Object Resistance Table (p.174, SR4), a gun has OR 3. It's more sophisticated than bricks or leather (OR 2), but less so than a computer, drone or vehicle (OR 4). The other stuff, I dunno.
Nows7
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Apr 3 2010, 09:07 PM) *
Per the Object Resistance Table (p.174, SR4), a gun has OR 3. It's more sophisticated than bricks or leather (OR 2), but less so than a computer, drone or vehicle (OR 4). The other stuff, I dunno.

What if the gun has a built-in smart-link, has a pilot upgrade (Per Arsenal it's a drone in all respects?) or it just has a large number of complicated and advanced mod?

Should "Guns have OR 3" override the compexity of the parts?

I do actually think that 99% of guns should be OR three... but a case could be made for OR 4.
Tanegar
What constitutes a "complicated and advanced mod?" For that matter, what constitutes a "large number?" IMO, you're getting into excessive bookkeeping. Other GMs may (and some probably will) rule differently, but I would say that a gun, or a drone that started out as a gun, has OR3, while a purpose-built drone has OR4.
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Apr 3 2010, 02:12 PM) *
It would be cool to play a mage that could wipe out all the guns in a 6-meter radius without causing any other collateral damage, but I'm not going to bother unless the guns are completely destroyed.

Would you name him "The Sphinx"?
Dakka Dakka
I'd rather make an indirect gun destroying area spell. As such you don't have to see the guns. They only have to be in the spell's area of effect. The drain is a bit higher though.
W@geMage
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Apr 4 2010, 04:17 AM) *
I'd rather make an indirect gun destroying area spell. As such you don't have to see the guns. They only have to be in the spell's area of effect. The drain is a bit higher though.
It's called Powerball wink.gif
Indirect spells are by nature indiscriminate in what they affect.

Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (W@geMage @ Apr 4 2010, 04:10 PM) *
Indirect spells are by nature indiscriminate in what they affect.
Not necessarily:
QUOTE ('Street Magic p. 164')
Corrode [Object] (Indirect, Touch, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: T • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F÷2)
Melt [Object] (Indirect, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F÷2)+2
Sludge [Object] (Indirect, Area, Elemental)
Type: P • Range: LOS (A) • Damage: P • Duration: I • DV: (F÷2)+4
Similar to Acid Stream and Toxic Wave (p. 197, SR4), these
spells create a blast of corrosive spray that inflicts Acid damage (p.
154, SR4). The acidic effects of these spell, however, only affect
the specified objects for which the spell was created—everything
else remains unharmed. Each different object requires a separate
spell: Corrode Wall, Melt Electronics, Sludge Armor, and so on.
Melt affects a single target. Sludge is an area effect spell.
Corrode requires the caster to touch the target.

You could also design a custom spell without the (useless) elemental effect for 2 less drain.
Space Ghost
Yeah, I don't think I want to get into Corrode/Melt/Sludge (gun) line of spells. That's just one more stat (armor) I would have to figure out. I'm thinking that 5-7 structure rating is fair for a gun. I'll run it by my GM.

@Dakka Dakka: I see your point about visible targets, though. It would suck to find out that holsters count as cover or something.
Shinobi Killfist
Even indirect spells have to deal with cover, and I'd put a gun in full cover if its holstered and under your coat.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Apr 4 2010, 09:31 PM) *
Even indirect spells have to deal with cover, and I'd put a gun in full cover if its holstered and under your coat.
The book isn't clear on that. If you want to aim an indirect combat spell at a target behind cover, it gets the bonus. With area spells however this is only the case for the center of the affected sphere. how secondary targets resist is not specified IMHO.
Wiggles Von Beerchuggin'
QUOTE (Nows7 @ Apr 3 2010, 11:18 PM) *
What if the gun has a built-in smart-link, has a pilot upgrade (Per Arsenal it's a drone in all respects?) or it just has a large number of complicated and advanced mod?

Should "Guns have OR 3" override the compexity of the parts?

I do actually think that 99% of guns should be OR three... but a case could be made for OR 4.

A gun with a smart-link, skin-link, and a bunch of other computer heavy modifications still relies on a trigger mechanism and a firing pin to get the bullet out of the barrel. Destroy those, and you've got a smart-linked paperweight.

Possibly the only case that could be made for an OR 4 weapon would be if it had an electronic firing mechanism. Even then, the barrel could still fail.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012