Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: one way to mess with the star during a run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/cri...ils-police.html

maybe this will be the reaction of lone star and others when they get multiple responses on a dna based SIN search?
Stingray
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 4 2010, 02:34 PM) *
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/cri...ils-police.html

maybe this will be the reaction of lone star and others when they get multiple responses on a dna based SIN search?

..actually no, unless they are are dosed with Laesa, combination of Mage, Analyze truth spell and one question would work it out..
Tiny Deev
I seem to remember that magical means of getting information doesn't hold up in court. I mean, if there is a court ofcourse.
Stingray
QUOTE (Tiny Deev @ Apr 4 2010, 03:27 PM) *
I seem to remember that magical means of getting information doesn't hold up in court. I mean, if there is a court ofcourse.

in SR3 BBB there is a mention of testimony of the ghost againts it's killer is legal and valid..so getting info by magical means is very
effective AND legal way..
Sengir
I also remember a statement that "spectral evidence" is not admissable in UCAS courts, whereas awakened nations see no reason to do so.

But in most cases you'd have a far easier way to tell who did it: Identical twins still have different fingerprints and other biometrics

Edit: Found it, SM p. 14.
hobgoblin
i think this is the issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-incrimination

iirc, spells like mind probe and possibly analyze truth can be seen as a act of self-incrimination. Also, would not a analyze truth without other evidence to back it hold as much value as a lie detector test?
Stingray
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 4 2010, 04:52 PM) *
i think this is the issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-incrimination

iirc, spells like mind probe and possibly analyze truth can be seen as a act of self-incrimination. Also, would not a analyze truth without other evidence to back it hold as much value as a lie detector test?

..(w/active Analyze thruth) "so, mr. Jones, would u tell me who is person in the security vid".." (in matter of alibi)
i do think Court would allow use of magic to find truth in matter of those kind of cases and rights of the citizen might be really different than now..

evidence gathered by magical means are valid.
Sengir
QUOTE (Street Magic)
Because the UCAS and the CAS still retain major bits
of the former US Bill of Rights in their legal codes, methods
like mental probes and aura reading can’t be used to gather
evidence, since both violate Fifth Amendment prohibitions
against self-incrimination.
[...]
In the UCAS, spectral evidence (that is, evidence or testimony
provided by spirits) isn’t admissible in court, so magicians
can’t do things like summon up the spirit of a murder
victim to finger his or her killer—because there is no way to
prove definitively that the spirit in question is in fact the victim.
That doesn’t mean, however, that spirits haven’t been useful
to investigations in the past, and in many cases, ghosts and
spirits have led investigators to evidence crucial to convicting
a suspect of a crime.

Things like astral signatures are OK, though, and in the NAN or Amazonia things are far different.
Blade
Not admissible in court. That doesn't mean they can't use it, unknown to the victim, then use the information they got to help their investigation.
An investigation which, if they discover that the victim is SINless, will probably be over real soon.
Tiger Eyes
I actually know someone who tried to blame his identical twin for a robbery he committed. (Admittedly, he was drunk off his rocker at the time, and didn't actually remember robbing the store...). As his twin had a lot of witnesses placing him somewhere else at the time, it was pretty cut and dried.

As for using magic to force a confession - remember, the UCAS/CAS have far different rules than other nations. Most of the NAN will mind probe a potential criminal in a heartbeat. There's a bit in Vice that talks about different police forces and how they approach stuff like that, you might find it interesting (and hey, it makes life as a criminal a bit harder in the NAN, always fun for GMs...).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012