Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music genres in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eratosthenes
I know of a few named musical genres in SR: Trogrock, Orkploitation, etc.

I was wondering if there was a resource that listed more?
Emeraldknite
I haven't found a resource but I have a neat way that I do things for music genres. I take two unrelated music types and mash them up like:

Rockabilly Thrash
EmoHouse
Hardcorepoppunk

Plus I like the looks on my players faces when they sit there and try to imagine what it would sound like. And when their faces contort with pain, I know I have done my job.

Hope this helps just a little.
Ol' Scratch
Not so much a list of genres, but I think the 3rd Edition sourcebook Sprawl Survival Guide included some Top Ten lists and talked about music and other forms of media in quite a bit of detail. It was one of my favorite books for the game. Definitely worth checking out if you can find a copy just for the fluff.
David Hill
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 4 2010, 07:50 AM) *
I know of a few named musical genres in SR: Trogrock, Orkploitation, etc.

I was wondering if there was a resource that listed more?

I've got a new style of music in an upcoming book. I can't say anything directly about it, but I will say it's core to a lengthly mission.
'Sconnie
There's a sidebar in the 20th Anniversary Edition corebook that lists the top music downloads and their genre.
kjones
Specifically, p. 50, SR4A. The listed genres:

Classic Chrome Rock
OrxRock
Gob Rap
Fractal Phaze
C-pop (Chinese? Columbian? Christian?)
E-trance
Afroflash
Nippon Glam

The idea of mashing up existing styles is clever - that's often how new genres come about IRL.

EDIT: That same section also lists "elven acoustic, synthrash, [and] neo-classical".

Elves would play acoustic. Damn dirty hippies. Get a job!
Megu
QUOTE (Emeraldknite @ Apr 4 2010, 08:54 AM) *
I haven't found a resource but I have a neat way that I do things for music genres. I take two unrelated music types and mash them up like:

Rockabilly Thrash
EmoHouse
Hardcorepoppunk

Plus I like the looks on my players faces when they sit there and try to imagine what it would sound like. And when their faces contort with pain, I know I have done my job.

Hope this helps just a little.

This is pretty much what I do, although I'll often throw in a new cultural element to throw things even further out of whack. For example, I described, at the first meet at a club the PCs went to, the music as being guitar-driven Pueblo trance music, which confused them a bit. And my description of Afroflash was "If Saul Williams made DDR music." In the words of one PC, "Do not want."
Kumo
There's also "old-fashioned" angst rock, some kind of very emotional, depressive music popular in 2040's; the most popular performer was Jetblack (someone like 6th World's Elvis). He was mentioned in "On the run" campaign.
Eratosthenes
Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to check out Sprawl Survival Guide. I might even have it lying about in storage somewhere.

QUOTE (David Hill @ Apr 4 2010, 09:00 AM) *
I've got a new style of music in an upcoming book. I can't say anything directly about it, but I will say it's core to a lengthly mission.

Talk about a tease. biggrin.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Emeraldknite @ Apr 4 2010, 05:54 AM) *
Rockabilly Thrash

Any relation to Rastabilly Skank?
Valashar
QUOTE (David Hill @ Apr 4 2010, 09:00 AM) *

That's not the first time I've heard/read reference to music being key to an upcoming book/mission. Seeing as how I pretty much base everything creative I do around music, this definitely intrigues me.

QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Apr 5 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Any relation to Rastabilly Skank?

Now THAT would be a great example for a Goblin Neo-punk Trance genre. rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012