Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 and WiFi
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Medicineman
I'm fairly shure that it was possible in SR3 to pay Wireless with your Credstick or Checkstick
Could you show Me where to find it ?
or generally the possibilities of WiFi in SR3
(might be in State of the Art or SoTa) I don't have the Books anymore so a citation would be great
Thanks in Advance smile.gif

Hough
Medicineman
Kliko
The WiFi is in the Matrix book. It's possible, but requires some special utilities(radio link) and equipment-upgrade (transceiver).
nezumi
Also note that it isn't fully clear how a credstick works. Vendors have credstick readers, but between normal people it's never explained. Most likely you could touch credsticks together to transfer smaller amounts of cash. (One of the novels has people just giving their credsticks away to pay for things, perhaps implying people would generally have multiple credsticks in different denominations, but it seems to me that would wholly defeat the purpose.)
Cochise
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 6 2010, 05:40 PM) *
(One of the novels has people just giving their credsticks away to pay for things, perhaps implying people would generally have multiple credsticks in different denominations, but it seems to me that would wholly defeat the purpose.)

.. unless those give-away credsticks technically were meant to be checksticks.
Pendaric
Fluff has credsticks both sin and certified being touched together for cred transactions, readers being slot jobs. Touching could mean hard wired or small wifi interaction. cruch gives how to fake a credit stick but very little about the specifics of how they work. Could be the same a dongle or passcard, ref makes the call.

Having a reader and a celluar link/radio link essensially gives wifi to the 'Trix.
hermit
With some creative application of Errata, Matrix, and Sprawl Survival Guide, and some tinkering with commlinks maybe, that should be no problem. Neither should decking via cell, actually. Since you can deck in and it can handle the bandwidth fine, the cell, I see no plausible reason why it should not be able to reroute a deck's datastream via the cell network, too.

I think Neoanarchist's Guide To Real Life introduced the touch your sticks idea. It had a chapter on Sticks, at least.
Wandering One
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 6 2010, 08:40 AM) *
Also note that it isn't fully clear how a credstick works. Vendors have credstick readers, but between normal people it's never explained. Most likely you could touch credsticks together to transfer smaller amounts of cash. (One of the novels has people just giving their credsticks away to pay for things, perhaps implying people would generally have multiple credsticks in different denominations, but it seems to me that would wholly defeat the purpose.)

I usually think of private cred-stick transactions as along the lines of the new I-phone 'Bump' mechanic with paypal. A little more intricate perhaps (physical contact, wire, whatever), but similar idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012