Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adepts and Geasa
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seidaku
Sorry if this has already been discussed:

On p. 33 of MitS, it says:

Each power can have only one geas, but a single geas can be applied to several powers.

So, does this mean that if an adept takes a voluntary geasa on a specific power he cannot then have a geas to offset magic loss on that power?

Example: Al the adept has taken a voluntary geas on all of his powers (let's say time- he can only use them at night). He decides to get a smartlink, though, and wants to take a geas to offset the point of magic loss. Is Al out of luck, since all of his abilities already have a geas?

A different question: Can an adept tie multiple points of magic loss to a single geasa? For instance, if Joe loses two points of magic from taking some deadly wounds, can he use the same geas (let's say, fasting) on two power points of his abilities? What if he already has a voluntary geas on them?

Again, sorry if this has been asked before, I just need some clarification.
Kagetenshi
By that wording, yes, he would be out of luck and he can use the same geas for multiple powers (fasting, by your example). Note that the GM chooses the geas for an adept, not the player.

~J
Seidaku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Note that the GM chooses the geas for an adept, not the player.

Thanks for pointing that out. Well, crap. I guess I'd better not lose any points of magic.. I'm sure my GM would say something like, "Geas, huh? Ok- you can still use that power point whenever you're underwater." Or "Hmm.. I guess you can still use that distance strike ability whenever you're unconcious.."

But, to clarify your answer- you're saying that one cannot have both a voluntary geas on an ability and a magic loss induced geas on the same ability?
Kagetenshi
If the wording in the book is the same as the wording in your first post, that's correct.

~J
Seidaku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 16 2004, 02:42 AM)
If the wording in the book is the same as the wording in your first post, that's correct.

~J

What is unclear is whether or not the wording in the book refers only to voluntary geasa (the sentence I quoted appears following a sentence describing how one can take a geasa to reduce the power point cost of an ability) or to all geasa. Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that - my bad.
Kagetenshi
It seems pretty clear that it doesn't specify a single type, so I still say he'd be out of luck.

~J
Seidaku
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
It seems pretty clear that it doesn't specify a single type, so I still say he'd be out of luck.

Perhaps- but keep in mind it specifies a geas applying to a specific power. A geas used to offset magic loss applies to a specific power point, not a specific power (as opposed to a voluntary geas, which applies to a specific power). Maybe this is where the distinction lies?
Zazen
I use a "one geas per power" rule in my games for simplicity's sake, but I had no idea it was actually written anywhere. Thanks, Seidaku. smile.gif
Seidaku
Ok, after looking at my first post again, I definitely think my quote was misleading. That wasn't the intent. Here is the full paragraph it appears in (p33, MitS):

A player can voluntarily take a geas on a power of an adept when purchasing that power. Each power can have only one geas, but a single geas can be applied to several powers.

Given the full paragraph, it would seem to me as though the second sentence applies only to voluntary geasa, rather than ALL geasa.
Cain
A different question: Can an adept tie multiple points of magic loss to a single geasa? For instance, if Joe loses two points of magic from taking some deadly wounds, can he use the same geas (let's say, fasting) on two power points of his abilities?

Technically, no. I would allow it, however, if the affected power points were applied to distinct powers.

For example, let's say Joe has Increased Reflexes 2 (3 points of magic) and Improved Pistols 6. He loses two points of magic, and the GM allows him to select geasa.

If Joe "lost" the power points from his Increased Reflexes, I wouldn't allow him to select only one geasa. He'd be effectively getting two Magic points for one geasa. If he decided to geasa two points worth of Improved Pistols, however, I'd allow it-- he'd have 4 levels of that power that would go away if he broke his geasa. The same is true if we take one power point of each.
Zazen
QUOTE (Seidaku)
Given the full paragraph, it would seem to me as though the second sentence applies only to voluntary geasa, rather than ALL geasa.

I think it can be interpreted either way. Nothing clearly specifies one or the other, and they're both perfectly reasonable and consistent. It comes down to personal preference.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Seidaku)
"Geas, huh? Ok- you can still use that power point whenever you're underwater." Or "Hmm.. I guess you can still use that distance strike ability whenever you're unconcious.."

Any GM who did that'd deserve a quick kick in the pill box. GMing's not about being a prick, it's about making the game fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012