Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor Spirits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
YourAdHere
I have a player that has the Mentor Spirit quality, as we are still coming fresh from 3e, I want to make sure we understand this.

Gone are the days of "totems" for shamans and now anyone can have a mentor spirit regardless of tradition. So, even though a mentor spirit, say Dog, was once associated with shamans only, any awakened individual, regardless of tradition, can take Dog as a mentor spirit? Now, I have ruled that, yes, he can, even though he is a hermetic. Correct?

Intuition Tradition -

The magician really wants to use his Intuition as his drain attribute. So, is there a canon tradition that uses Intuition instead of Logic or Charisma? Currently, he has designed the "Psychic" tradition and I'm just going to let him use that unless there is something canon I can offer him.

Finally,

Blood Magic -

Now, I'm pretty sure that blood magic is covered in Street Magic (if not, please correct me), but I have no plans of buying Street Magic in the near future, however, the main bad guy is a blood mage (who they wont have direct confrontation with until I do get the proper source). My question is, aren't the Azzie known for practicing blood magic? If so, this would make sense to run into in a campaign set in Denver. A cell of Azzie resistance still smarting from Ghostwalker kicking them out recently. Correct? Any general thing I should know about blood magic before I finally get the proper source? I have 3e Awakenings, I think it covers blood magic, would this still be a valid source for general knowledge?
Ol' Scratch
Yes, everyone can have a mentor spirit. Each tradition has a general view of mentor spirits and, as always, the individual magician will have their own specific take thereof.

Street Magic is chock-full of traditions and many of them do, indeed, use Intuition. In a nutshell, you give a tradition a name, decide what it believes in and how or why it practices magic, pick a type of spirit to associate with each of the five "classes" of spell, and finally choose a Drain attribute. That's all it really takes.

Of the traditions listed in SM, the following are Intuition based: Buddhism, Druidic, Hedge Witchcraft (this is probably the one he'd like the most though it's dominated by women as presented, which is hogwash), and Wiccan (another likely candidate). A homebrewed Psychic tradition would be perfect, too, and Intuition makes a lot of sense for that. Unfortunately, Street Magic has the types of spirits he'd really want to associate with that kind of tradition, most of them being more flavorable variants of Spirits of Man (think Ancestor Spirits/Ghosts). But since you have no intention of getting that, you'll both have to make due with the ones in the main sourcebook. As a side note, it's kind of weird for a psychic to have a mentor spirit. Though I guess it could represent a fraction of his own psyche in a fashion similar to White Wolf's Mage system.

You really should consider trying to get Street Magic, though. It's probably the one book I reference more than any others. But then, I've come to love playing magicians and running games heavy on magic, too.

As for your questions about Blood Magic, yes, Aztechnology is known to practice it, though their PR department is amazing at keeping it out of the public eye as much as possible. You don't have to set your game in Denver, either. Like any megacorporation, they're everywhere. Blood Magic is pretty powerful, though you can make do without the SM rules if you have to. Awakenings covers the basics just fine.
Nifft
QUOTE (YourAdHere @ Apr 12 2010, 11:00 AM) *
Gone are the days of "totems" for shamans and now anyone can have a mentor spirit regardless of tradition. So, even though a mentor spirit, say Dog, was once associated with shamans only, any awakened individual, regardless of tradition, can take Dog as a mentor spirit? Now, I have ruled that, yes, he can, even though he is a hermetic. Correct?
Correct. Some mentor spirits are more useful for one tradition than another, but all are available to anyone.

QUOTE (YourAdHere @ Apr 12 2010, 11:00 AM) *
The magician really wants to use his Intuition as his drain attribute. So, is there a canon tradition that uses Intuition instead of Logic or Charisma? Currently, he has designed the "Psychic" tradition and I'm just going to let him use that unless there is something canon I can offer him.
There are some traditions which use Intuition to resist drain, so your solution looks fine to me.
YourAdHere
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Apr 12 2010, 11:09 AM) *
As a side note, it's kind of weird for a psychic to have a mentor spirit. Though I guess it could represent a fraction of his own psyche in a fashion similar to White Wolf's Mage system.

That's something that actually didn't occure to me, thanks for pointing that out. I actually have a copy of Mage around here some place. I'll look into that. But he wants it to be +2 Manipulation and spirits of man (their "psyhic image" if you will), but he can't come up with a good disadvantage that would match his idea of the mentor and tradition. So he may loose the Mentor Spirit quality all together unless anyone has some suggestions?
Ol' Scratch
Street Magic has a ton of mentor spirits, too. Dragon gives a +2 bonus to Manipulation spells and Negotiation Tests, and requires a Wil+Cha(3) Test to follow orders or advice from others, or to accept a defeat gracefully. Artificer gives a +2 bonus to Manipulation and Enchanting Tests, but you have to make a similar test to avoid stopping and examining new and interesting things (though he won't put his life in danger to do so). Adversary is the one he'd probably like the most as its the most runner-y. He gives a +2 bonus to Manipulation and a +2 bonus to the mage's choice of Banishing or Counterspelling. In exchange, he suffers a penalty similar to Dragon. They all have some really cool flavor text to help inspire players, too.

In fact, a lot of the mentor spirits in SM have those kinds of disadvantages. Some others include avoiding being stubborn, avoiding being selfish, avoiding escalating conflicts into a major clash, or avoiding becoming irrational and self-destructive if enclosed. Obviously they don't have to have a penalty to their magic at all, and mentors don't have to be some kind of animal. They can be a concept, an idol, or a historical/mythological figure, too.
Makki
i suggest to have a look at the Psionic Tradition in Digital Grimoire
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012