Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slang question: Pink Mohawk?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wandering One
Title says it all... I've seen the term Pink Mohawk, amongst others, as a campaign style. What is meant by this? I thought I got it from inference and then a buddy and I chatted about it and I'm not sure either of us are right anymore.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Pink Mowhak is a style of game where the runners are bigger than life and can pull the most unprobable stunts and get away with it. Examples: walking downtown with a HMG on your lap, killing a Mr. Johnson without repercussion "just because", etc.
It is frequently compared to Ice Pros where everyone is a professional criminal.

IMO, Los Angeles is a good place where you can play as Pink Mowhawk and be expected to.
Ascalaphus
Another part of it is style. In Pink Mohawk, you're basically expected to look outlandish and behave outrageously. Ice Cold Pros tend to keep very quiet and avoid drawing attention.
eidolon
Another name for the "hardcore pros that never mess up" style of play is Grey (or Black) Trenchcoat.
nylanfs
I've always refered to it as mirrorshades. smile.gif
Draco18s
Pink Mohawk is that style of game (or movie) where your typical runner (or heoric badass so-bad-he's good anti-hero) looks like this
Stahlseele
Pink Mohawk is saying:"fuck this shit, gimme a gun, i'm going in there right now!" if the planning does not go to your liking.
It's where Trolls ride into Humanis Bars on their Harleys and ask for a real mens drink and if there's no Answer, the killing starts.
You are supposed to do awesomely over the top shit in this style of game. You just took a Shotgun-Blast to the face and you are still standing?
AWESOME! Fuck realism, you are allowed to kill whoever tried that stunt on you in the most interesting and satisfiying way you can think of on the fly.
Throw a Motorcycle at someone. Jump over a Van that's charging straight at you and say:"Torro! Torro! OLE!" while doing so!
Jump out of a helicopter through a glass roof into an open cabrio racing through a shopping mall, grab the vindicator minigun on the backseat and let lose at the armada of Lone-Star Vehicles following you!
Body count is IMPORTANT! You can BOAST with a high bodycount and if someone tells you that it's unprofessional, you punch them out, then proceed to pee on them right there and resume boasting while filling up your tank with a cold beer!
Think John Woo movies here. Matrix/Equilibrium. Or anything with Stallone or Schwarzenegger in Urban environment!
Loot, kill, burn, repeat! And look good while doing it!
crash2029
Now I am really confused where on the scale my games tend to be. We usually play S.n.e.a.k.e.r.s. meets James Bond. Is that Pink Mohawk or Black Tranchcoat/Mirrorshades?
Stahlseele
More of the later than the former.
Wandering One
Thanks guys, that was what I had inferred (if not QUITE to Stahlseele's level), but wanted to make sure I understood it when referenced.
Bull
I hate the term Pink Mohawk, and prefer "Classic Cyberpunk", but basically, it's all about Style and Attitude.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Wandering One @ Apr 14 2010, 01:15 AM) *
Thanks guys, that was what I had inferred (if not QUITE to Stahlseele's level), but wanted to make sure I understood it when referenced.

Nobody is on my level i guess.
I like to crank it up to 11 untill it's OVER 9000! ^^
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 14 2010, 01:17 AM) *
I hate the term Pink Mohawk, and prefer "Classic Cyberpunk", but basically, it's all about Style and Attitude.

You're getting old dude ^^
Bull
Dude, tell me about it. smile.gif

And you bastards ain't helping any! smile.gif
Synner667
For me...
...It's classic cyberpunk - trenchcoats, attitude, mirrorshades, mohican's, streetlevel, neon lights, grey skies, bladerunner, robocop, the cover of SR v1

Saint Sithney
Whenever I think of Pink Mohawk, I think of Electric Six's album "I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me from Being the Master"
Belvidere
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Apr 13 2010, 06:21 PM) *
Whenever I think of Pink Mohawk, I think of electric Six's album "I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me from Being the Master"

I'm not the only one?! Its a miracle! rotfl.gif
Glyph
Pink mohawk and grey trenchcoat are both interpreted different ways, and they are less distinctive styles than they are points at either end of a continuum. Don't confuse pink mohawk with "mindless munchkinism with no logical consequences to player behavior", though.

Pink mohawk has cinematic action sequences and a Wild West feel to it, but also has colorful characters interacting with each other, and more of a "fight the system" attitude. Runners are more than just criminals who work under the table. Indeed, that's one of the reasons I found Shadowrun so compelling - the clash of idealism versus being part of the very system that you're fighting against.
Ol' Scratch
Generally most players and games are inbetween and likely skewed more towards the trenchcoat side of the scale. That includes the people describing it as "classic cyberpunk" in this thread, though they lean a bit more to the other side. In effect, they're just terms used to describe extremes of gameplay and setting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012