Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another day, another step towards cyberpunk
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/15/big-c...ts-dystopi.html

really makes one wonder.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Apr 15 2010, 09:48 AM) *

This would get shot down in US courts. If nothing else the Fifth amendment against self incrimination would cover this. I know for damn sure I would NEVER install any of that crap.
Draco18s
Hysterical.
Vertaxis
Da comrade.

Papers?

Someone is missing the days of the Soviet Union and the workers paradise.
Ascalaphus
This reminds me of the World Recording Industry Army that Frank Trollman came up with.. they bust down your door and execute you, then put the execution trideo on the matrix as a warning...
Mongoose
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 15 2010, 03:29 PM) *
This would get shot down in US courts. If nothing else the Fifth amendment against self incrimination would cover this. I know for damn sure I would NEVER install any of that crap.

No. You have to be under arrest to take the fifth, and you have to be smart enough to know when to shut up. When you "voluntarily" comply to the user terms of a piece of software via its clickwrap, you aren't under arrest, and if you want to "take the fifth", there's a "simple" option- don't install the software. If you do, its just like deciding not to shut up when the cops pull you over; it's you're own choice.
Microsoft basically already does this with their OSes, yah? AFAIK, it checks for illegal versions of MS office products and reports them...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Apr 15 2010, 06:40 PM) *
Microsoft basically already does this with their OSes, yah? AFAIK, it checks for illegal versions of MS office products and reports them...

See, that's why you get an illegal version of the OS with that bit stripped out. wink.gif
nemafow
Uhh, lovely
tagz
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Apr 15 2010, 06:38 PM) *
This reminds me of the World Recording Industry Army that Frank Trollman came up with.. they bust down your door and execute you, then put the execution trideo on the matrix as a warning...

Then everyone downloads that trideo illegally. spin.gif
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (tagz @ Apr 16 2010, 03:35 AM) *
Not necessarily. The trid could be outfitted with a mandatory registration and a trojan to find possible infringing material devil.gif And they get a source for a new warning trid.

Didn't M$ profit from illegal proliferation of their older OSes?
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (tagz @ Apr 16 2010, 02:35 AM) *

Oh, but they want you to see it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012