Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mentor Spirit Creation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nyost Akasuke
Being the CharGen junkie I am, I've decided on trying to make a socially adept Shaman. While he's pretty much your ''standard'' Face/Mage, he's got a couple limitations I plan on imposing due to his personality. So, I wanted to give him some sort of mentor spirit matching his personality, for which I really found none that totally match his ideals.

What I want to ask is: Are there rules/guidelines for creating new Mentor Spirits? I looked through SR4A, SM, and Digital Grimoire, and couldn't seem to find any at all. Did I just miss something? Similarly, I tried looking for a thread that may have covered this subject, but couldn't seem to find one either.

Is one allowed to make a new mentor spirit? I assumed that one could, and thought there'd be guidelines for it (like there is for traditions). But... I'm comin' up empty handed.
Ol' Scratch
No, there's no set rules for creating a mentor spirit, though you can find a few (albeit slightly overpowered) house rules for doing so if you search the forums. I think Kerenshara posted some a long time ago. You most likely won't want to use them as they create mentor spirits far above and beyond anything official.

In all honesty, you'll want to simply find a mentor that's close to what you want, and customize it from there. When you're done and think it's appropriate and captures the nature of what you were after, run it by your GM for approval.

In general, most mentor spirits give a +2 bonus to one school of magic, one type of spirit, or one Social or Magic Skill (pick any two of these three categories) for advantages. Disadvantages are usually a -1 penalty to a single school of magic or type of spirit, or a psychological disorder/compulsion that requires a Willpower + Charisma (3) Test to avoid. There are exceptions, of course. But as long as you stay within those guidelines you should be fine.
Nyost Akasuke
Hm. Well, I guess that settles that.

Aye. It's for a ''Scorpion'' MS, and as of my thoughts a couple minutes ago, I've given it +2 dice to Combat or Manipulation, and +2 to Survival, with a vengeful disadvantage requiring the magician to actively plan his revenge against anyone he thinks has wronged him if he fails his test.

Anyways, thanks a bundle Doc. spin.gif
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, I doubt your GM will have a problem with that. smile.gif
Dakka Dakka
Powerwise that's on par with the Dragon Mentor Spirit, so for me there is no problem.
Kumo
Well, I also have idea for a new Mentor Spirit... It's specialized, but maybe useful? Could be used by magicians and adepts.

Mentor spirit: Survivor.
Patron of the ones able to survive in hostile environment.

Advantages:
Negative background count is reduced by 2 for the character (i.e. in place with b.c. 1-2 he uses his Magic without penalty, with b.c. 3 he suffers -1 penalty etc.).
+2 dice to Reaction rolls

Disadvantages:
Comfort life leads to weakness. You may not have lifestyle higher than Low (if using Advanced Lifestyles rules from Runner's Companion, only a Security category may be higher than Low, but cost of a whole lifestyle sill cannot exceed Low).

What do you think?
Ol' Scratch
The advantages are way too powerful and the disadvantage is one that's easily not an issue for player characters. If you change the advantages to something like "+2 to Survival and +2 to Health spells," you might be on to something. I'd allow the (non-)disadvantage slip with something like that.
Kumo
The advantages are way too powerful and the disadvantage is one that's easily not an issue for player characters.

That's right frown.gif
I just have no idea for more balanced disadvantage. Advantages could be -1 to b.c. and +1 to Reaction rolls, rather than -2/+2.

If you change the advantages to something like "+2 to Survival and +2 to Health spells," you might be on to something.

Nice, but I tried to make something good for Awakened characters "working" in places like Chicago.
Dakka Dakka
I like the approach, but ignoring up to 2 points of BC is overpowered. Maybe reduce it to 1, or even rephrase it to BC 1 can be ignored, anything greater than that hits full.
Another way to represent the survivor is to give him a special opportunity to regain Edge. After spending edge the payer rolls 1d6, on a six he gets the point of Edge back.

As a disadvantage, maybe call for a CHA+WIL (3) test to do actions that are to the detriment of the character, like shielding an ally, drawing fire, giving away one's rations etc.
Nyost Akasuke
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Apr 15 2010, 11:50 PM) *
Powerwise that's on par with the Dragon Mentor Spirit, so for me there is no problem.

The doctor recommended I get a mentor close to the one I desired, and modify it. Dragon was that one. I kinda wanted a mix of Dragon and Thunderbird mentor spirits, with a few small tweaks.

QUOTE (Kumo @ Apr 16 2010, 02:42 AM) *
Well, I also have idea for a new Mentor Spirit... It's specialized, but maybe useful? Could be used by magicians and adepts.

Mentor spirit: Survivor.
Patron of the ones able to survive in hostile environment.

Advantages:
Negative background count is reduced by 2 for the character (i.e. in place with b.c. 1-2 he uses his Magic without penalty, with b.c. 3 he suffers -1 penalty etc.).
+2 dice to Reaction rolls

Disadvantages:
Comfort life leads to weakness. You may not have lifestyle higher than Low (if using Advanced Lifestyles rules from Runner's Companion, only a Security category may be higher than Low, but cost of a whole lifestyle sill cannot exceed Low).

What do you think?

That's an interesting set of advantages/disadvantages, in my opinion. I do agree with Dr. Funkelstein in terms that the lifestyle limitation isn't particularly detrimental, and can probably be easily worked around, but it's an interesting mentor nonetheless. I like Dakka's suggestion of ''Ignoring a BC of 1, any higher hits full.''

Since we're at it, I wrote up a small description of my Scorpion MS last night. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some input (namely on my wording and the consistency of the description. I was a bit more tired than usual last night, and was a little too content with my ''rough draft'', as it were).

Scorpion Mentor Spirit

[ Spoiler ]

-slips away into the darkness-
Kerenshara
Resurrected from long ago:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=27443&view=findpost&p=829789

I hope that helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012