Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scotland?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
Is there any information about Scotland in the Sixth World?

I read bits and pieces off the wiki but I cant find any actual written information about the area beyond a handful of mentions.
Ustio
Check out Shadows of Europe (best SR3 book) section on the UK – brief summary not a nice place on the whole there were several large scale toxic and radiological problems throughout the UK, Edinburgh and Glasgow became one sprawl from memory (book is at home) and the UK government is very similar to the Cromwellian era or Luther Arkwright setting also a big hit of V for Vendetta
hermit
The old books London and Imago are very good sources on Scotland; the novel Streets of Blood (aside from being awesome in itself) has a chunk, too.

Basically, Scotland is divided into a Wild Zone effectively run by shamanic druids and an Inhabited Zone run by Transys. Transys practically owns Edinburgh. Lots of wilderness and Highlands in either part. Asmall irradiated toxic zone to round things up exists, too, and Imago has details on the Loch Ness monster and the Scot clans largely running Transys.

Those books are seriously dated, and SoE is a good update, but they're still the best sources.

the UK government is very similar to the Cromwellian era or Luther Arkwright setting also a big hit of V for Vendetta

No. Whilecrazy, it is not that crazy. It is actually not that far from contemporary Britain. Considering it was intended to be a Cromwellian VfV nightmare, I tend to find this rather depressing.
Ustio
Its not that bad here at the moment – if you can get used to the idea of a ~80% CCTV saturation in urban areas, a set of anti-terrorism laws and policies that make the patriot act look positively liberal, laws that can prevent papers and tv reporting something the government decides is against national security –oh dammit it is SR4 after all – now where do I get my emergent powers 
hermit
Read London. And read Tir na nOg for good measure. Tir n nOg is just as depressing. The rampant environmentalist bullying there, the cultural protection laws (which, especially on the continent, are coming together much like this), the self-censoring press. I mean, this was supposed to be dystopic once, and then I read it and it read like something any governing party would agree on. Jeez. Kind of depressing how you absolutly fail to notice such social changes until you check up on the past consciously.

And don't forget the surveillance drones they want to use for covering the country now. Thank you for your cooperation, Citizen.
Artemis
QUOTE (Ustio @ Apr 16 2010, 11:57 AM) *
Its not that bad here at the moment – if you can get used to the idea of a ~80% CCTV saturation in urban areas, a set of anti-terrorism laws and policies that make the patriot act look positively liberal, laws that can prevent papers and tv reporting something the government decides is against national security

Are you sure thats 2070 we're talking about, looking out the window it doesn't seem that different.
RedFish
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 16 2010, 12:37 PM) *
Are you sure thats 2070 we're talking about, looking out the window it doesn't seem that different.

I believe he was indeed talking about the present.
hermit
That was the point, yes.
Artemis
dammit quoted wrong damn post
crizh
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 16 2010, 10:48 AM) *
The old books London and Imago are very good sources on Scotland;

On a personal note as someone that was playing in a number of campaigns at Edinburgh Uni at the time said books were a great source of amusement.

Let's just say that fact checking wasn't as good as it ought to have been....
FlakJacket
Yeah, both the London sourcebook and Imago are very much from the what would be cool school of thought rather than what might actually be reasonably logical. Throw in some of the cliches used and factual errors crizh mentioned and I still twitch slightly at the thought of some of it. Still doesn't mean I can't mock the Californians and their reactions to what happened to them though. smile.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Apr 20 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Still doesn't mean I can't mock the Californians and their reactions to what happened to them though. smile.gif

What the fact that they are Bankrupt now and want the rest of the US to bail them out......sounds like a prophecy to me! grinbig.gif
hermit
On a personal note as someone that was playing in a number of campaigns at Edinburgh Uni at the time said books were a great source of amusement.

Let's just say that fact checking wasn't as good as it ought to have been....

Cannot have been near as bad as California or Berlin, though. wink.gif

Yeah, both the London sourcebook and Imago are very much from the what would be cool school of thought rather than what might actually be reasonably logical.

For that, it is a bit closer to real current England than would be expected, though. Besides, for a foreigner, it is a fun setting. Maybe Berlin and California are, too. Myself, I didn'T care for California much (least of all the new LA setting), and Berlin ... well, I'm too involved in the real place to judge that. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012