Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers in space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blue DragonFly
So, if magic gets weaker the farther into space you get as you are getting farther away from "life", would technomancy get stronger? It draws on tech not life. In space there is less life so would there be less to interfere with the signal?
kjones
I don't think that life interferes with technomancer abilities. So, I would say no - at least, no more than the Matrix void already inhibits them.
SpellBinder
Signal is still based on radio, which is a low frequency of light.

In the depths of space, with no connection to the Matrix, a TM is likely to be twitchy at least if not rather irritable. IIRC there's a four second delay between the Earth & Moon, which would not be too bad, but it'd be nothing like on a trip to Mars where it could be anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 22 2010, 11:21 PM) *
Signal is still based on radio, which is a low frequency of light.

In the depths of space, with no connection to the Matrix, a TM is likely to be twitchy at least if not rather irritable. IIRC there's a four second delay between the Earth & Moon, which would not be too bad, but it'd be nothing like on a trip to Mars where it could be anywhere from 8 to 30 minutes.

Unless the TM is meshed in with the local network.

Anything going to Mars will have a nexus and a number of users. Yeah it might feel a little confined, but it is still a Matrix.
Banaticus
Besides, Technomancers can access the Matrix even in a dead zone with nothing in range. It makes them really uncomfortable when they're in such an area, because they're used to the constant unceasing whisper of data rushing past them, so they get a -2 penalty to everything, but they can still access the Matrix. So, line of sight to Earth and/or Earth-based satellites, not to mention the communications arrays on a space station... I think they won't really have a problem accessing much of anything, although there probably will be some lag in communications.
SpellBinder
Access in dead zones? Sorry, but not even a TM can get matrix access in a dead zone. SR4a, page 220: "... dead zone, where no Matrix access is available." I wouldn't call Earth orbit a dead zone, just as long as a TM is within mutual signal range of something that is connected to the matrix. Deep space, however, yeah.

And I was thinking more on the trip time to/from Mars, as opposed to actually being there; the ship would likely be akin to a 2m^3 cell as opposed to the volume present just being near Earth. With so little from the Matrix on that ship (a raindrop vs. the Pacific), I'd expect a TM to get twitchy on the way.

With the prevalence of WiFi I'd expect a substantial matrix presence on Mars, though still nothing compared to Earth.
crizh
I imagine a TM on the way to Mars might spend a lot of time in the Resonance Realms. So long as you have any sort of local network you should be able to find your way there.
kjones
Why are we sending TMs to Mars in the first place?
LurkerOutThere
Mars needs sys admins?
Harbin
Because, Shadowrun should obviously have Technomancers IN SPACE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012