Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Statting up the SCIRE in 4th Edition
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kjones
I'm looking to run some missions in the Renraku Arcology during Deus' reign - but my group plays 4th edition, and I don't think I can convince them to learn a new game just for this. There's no inherent limitations on using 4th edition rules for this setting, but it does mean that I have to take on the somewhat tedious task of statting everything out in subtly different ways.

I'm starting with the Banded, using the stats in the back of Renraku Arcology: Shutdown and the guidelines in the back of Contacts and Adventures.

[ Spoiler ]

Next up is drones - in a previous thread it was noted that statting up Deus' robo-servants is impossible within the rules, so I won't bother trying. I'm the GM, after all.
kjones
Here's the important drones - Dolls and Bumblebees don't really need statting.

[ Spoiler ]

That's all for now - please feel free to comment and criticize. (These drones - too powerful? Too weak? Medusae are supposed to be real motherfraggers - might it be worth giving them Hardened Armor?)

Also note that I'm using the Nitama Optimum because we have a house-rule that stick-and-shock rounds can only be used in shotguns.
Sengir
No agony spell for the mages? Where's the fun in that?

Also note to self: Raid some Renraku drone junkyard biggrin.gif
kjones
Is there an Agony spell in 4th edition? I couldn't find one.

Also note that the drones are all equipped with a self-destruct mechanism that activates if they ever leave the SCIRE.
Eugene
There is, but it's in Street Magic.
Falconer
Small point... you may want to give your blue bands some more body. (1point)

As it stands the grade 3&5 and the mages are over armored and will be taking agi/rea penalties from wearing too much.

The way the rules go... the 6/6 urban explorer jumpsuit (and whatever variant thereof you make) is the best most average people can handle w/o penalty... for armor jackets you need body 4. For the grade 5's you can probably justify light military armor (body x3) plus their armor & soak augmentations, 12/12 armor is a -4 penalty to agi/rea on them.

Another way to get them tougher w/o going overboard... a cyberlimb. Baseline cyberlimb w/ base 3 stats, +2 armor. Then just use cyberlimb augmentations to up their agi/bod/str to match the base char. Auto-injector loaded w/ combat drug like jazz or cram is another way to get +1IP for your low-level mooks. Cyberlimbs are great for capacity and tossing in simple stuff like biomonitors and cybercommlinks in their capacity w/o eating up extra essence. (not sure how that would play for renraku though... w/ deus driving it's puppets)

Your mages are already over focus addiction limits. (2x mag in force)... and force 6 is pretty high up there in availability. Armor spell will make them glow like lightbulbs and really stand out... If you're after something a little more subtle... the deflection or combat sense spells may be better.

Also, a lot of people forget, many spells don't have to be cast on self. Imagine the fun if you cast 'improved invis' and combat sense on one of your blueband5's then run and hide.

Overall, though the conversions seem exceedingly easy, and shouldn't be too hard to do on the fly if you have the old stats in front of you.

Sounds like a lot of fun, hope I helped.

Sengir
QUOTE (kjones @ Apr 24 2010, 02:10 PM) *
Also note that the drones are all equipped with a self-destruct mechanism that activates if they ever leave the SCIRE.

Yeah, it would require some puzzling skills...but just even a jury-rigged medusa which can do nothing but scare people would be worth it grinbig.gif
Valashar
My only remark is about your conversion of the Medusa. The body you give indicates medium drone size while they're more in the large category, possibly even worth the creation of a Body 5 'oversize' category for drones. In Shutdown and other fiction, these things are shown to be mansize plus, easily on par with or larger than a Steel Lynx or Crimson Samurai drone. I would also consider giving them a ground version of Unstable Structural Agility from Aresnal to represent their Move-By-Wire and Structure Agility from SR3. These fraggers were fast, nimble, sneaky, and one-pass deadly against unconverted Red Samurai among the resistance. They're what Deus threw at real problems that he wanted turned to bloody smears as opposed to toyed with or captured.
The_Vanguard
Thanks for posting this. My current Emergence campaign will feature some leftovers from Deus, so this will come in handy for me.

I think the biggest problem will be the conversion of the Arcology matrix because of the rules changes between the editions. I'd give the characters a flat -2 to -4 to all matrix actions that do not involve their immediate vicinity because the VR environment is so vast and complex. Also, datasearches for the whole system should be impossible or at least carry the risk of alerting Deus' minions to your presence.
You might also consider giving all ICE the Cascading option, reflecting Deus' omnipresence in the system.
Demonseed Elite
One other comment I have on the Medusa stats is that your conversion doesn't reflect either the hydraulic jacks in their legs (which allow them to make considerable leaps) or their tails which they can use for grapple attacks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012