Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Companion Edges
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Demon_Bob
Was wondering why Low Light Vision and Thermalgraphic Vision in the Shadowrun companion are listed at 5pts each, when in Elves and Dwarfs they replace the +1 edge advantage Humans get which costs 10. Can't seem to find any errata for the book either.

CeeJay
Because Low Light and Thermographic Vision is not as good as +1 edge and therefore cost less? Besides, that is hardly the only difference between humans and elves or dwarves...
And no, the racial costs for metahumans are not equal to the sum of attribute-differences to ordinary humans.

Up to date there is no errata published for RC (and God knows it really needs one smile.gif)

-CJ
Karoline
CeeJay's got it. There is actually a thread floating around somewhere that shows how the BP costs are calculated for the core races quite well. It's basically 10 BP per stat, and then the point cost for the various abilities (5 for low-light, 10 for dermal, etc) and then -10 as a 'race discount'. Works very well. There is a special provision on trolls with something like when a race hits a certain cost, there is a slight discount to make the race still viable.
Aerospider
Analysing the metatypes in RC it doesn't take long to realise the relationship between racial characteristics and the corresponding qualities don't keep the build costs relative. I've read that the developers went more on instinct than calculations and took things like rarity into account.

It should also be noted that there are non-BP advantages involved in being human, such as being less prone to racism, blending in with society more easily (they are still the majority race by far) and not having trouble finding stuff the right size. Also, the Edge bonus increases the natural maximum so for humans rating 6 is actually 25 points cheaper and rating 7 is not impossible for a starting character (can Edge be improved beyond the natural maximum with Karma after chargen? I forget and am AFB right now).

One more thing – a human with the lowlight vision quality, say, has had to spend the 5 BP out of his 35 maximum for positive qualities whilst elves and orks get it outside that allocation, making it worth notionally more than 5 BP.
Drats
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Apr 30 2010, 11:30 AM) *
(can Edge be improved beyond the natural maximum with Karma after chargen? I forget and am AFB right now).

Edge can't go beyond the natural maximum at all as far as I know, unless there's some kind of edge-boosting 'ware or magic somewhere that I missed. The highest edge possible for any character would be 8 for a human with the Lucky positive quality, which is attainable at chargen if you're willing to shell out 95 BP to get it.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Karoline @ Apr 30 2010, 03:58 AM) *
CeeJay's got it. There is actually a thread floating around somewhere that shows how the BP costs are calculated for the core races quite well. It's basically 10 BP per stat, and then the point cost for the various abilities (5 for low-light, 10 for dermal, etc) and then -10 as a 'race discount'. Works very well. There is a special provision on trolls with something like when a race hits a certain cost, there is a slight discount to make the race still viable.

It seems my; Incompetance - Data Search, is flaring up again. sigh.
Karoline
QUOTE (Demon_Bob @ Apr 30 2010, 05:31 PM) *
It seems my; Incompetance - Data Search, is flaring up again. sigh.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...c=25494&hl=
Post five under the spoiler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012