Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechwarrior 4 Free Release finally available!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Bull
Announced at GenCon last year, MW4 is now available for free via MekTek!

http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/
Wounded Ronin
Does it have a campaign mode or is it all multi-player?
Bull
I never played MW4 (My computer at the time it came out couldn;t run it), but if it's anything like MW2 and 3, it should have a campaign.

Also, Caine_Hazen is talking about setting up a server for Dumpshock, so... We can do MP that way. smile.gif

Bull
Stahlseele
It has a campaign mode, just don't expect this to work too smoothly . .
it made me jump through all kinds of hoops for several hours, and then without me changing anything all of a sudden it simply worked . .
Yerameyahu
Yuck. I can't even get their weird BitTorrent client to run properly. frown.gif Why are all the game companies doing these awful 'launcher/platform' things these days?
hobgoblin
page seems to be down.
Dumori
Oh dear mechtek died. They knew they'd get a shit load of hits as well as they dealyed this a bit to upgrade their severs. Man this must have really hit the news XD.
Yerameyahu
Well, they should just give out the torrent as a free file. Instant server problem solved.
Dumori
True I think they have/are but their site with the DL links ect is down dur to massive viewing.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Bull @ May 1 2010, 01:48 AM) *
I never played MW4 (My computer at the time it came out couldn;t run it), but if it's anything like MW2 and 3, it should have a campaign.

Also, Caine_Hazen is talking about setting up a server for Dumpshock, so... We can do MP that way. smile.gif

Bull

Oh, that would be fun.
Bull
Yeah, apparently within an hour of the announcement, they got nailed with over 100K unique page views and 10K simutaneous downloads, and their page choked and died.

I do agree to an extent about the Steam-like thing they have going on, but... There's a convenience factor to it as well (When it works). Besides you being able to see a full list of the most recent programs and patches (Which for this is important, since they're incorporating a bunch of the Mektek created addons for it to boost the games options), it also looks like it acts like a connection hub (ala Blizzards Battlenet) to make setting up and running online games easier.

Right now, it's a problem with them not having the network in place to handle the demand. Hopefully it'll be sorted out in the next day or so. I know I'm having issues with it right now myself... I set it up to download, and went off to play board games last night. At some point, my computer rebooted. Now when I try and launch the MTX program, it keeps telling me it can't find an active internet connection and can't launch without one. Hopefully once the game is downloaded and installed I can ignore the MTX launcher and just play the game stright "offline".

Bull
Whipstitch
Yeah, it's a real downer. The most irritating bit about all this is that the launcher error messages pop up REAL fast and also has a nasty habit of disabling the rest of the front end; You have to ninja the dang thing shut after hitting "Okay" in some cases because otherwise the darn error message will pop right back up and shut you down again before you can shut it.

And speaking of Steam-like front ends, I must say that the real Steam's latest UI changes upset me. Not because I think they are bad, per se, but because it lists how long you've played some of your games. Including how much time I've spent playing Civ IV. I gotta admit, the numbers are pretty harrowing when you consider that it doesn't even touch upon how much time I spent playing the previous games.
Dumori
As the site is still down I dug these up for you guys.

Torrent Mirror

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AL579RW9

And You need the Mektek X to install the mtx file which is here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1HD0ND6Y

Enjoy
Stahlseele
i'm seeding the torrent.
with 10MBit upload, it should help a bit i guess . .
Dumori
I will go back to seeding after installation.
Bull
Since this is a free distribution, this is one of those times that I would guess linking toa torrent would be ok smile.gif

ANyone gota direct torrent link by chance?
Bull
Nevermind, I'm a doofus. That first Megaupload link IS the torrent. Heh. smile.gif
Dumori
And the .exe need to run it. I'll upload the torrents for the upadates to as I get them.
Bull
The MTX uploader is actually working for me now, so it may have evened out and gotten back online... I'm going to see if it will pick up the download where it broke off (I have about 800 MB downloaded from the original attempt)
Dumori
Yeah I've noticed that the traker and such are up not the site is still down so my link to the .exe is still needed.
Bull
Gotcha. I had already downloaded mtx.exe, which is why it's working for me. I'm figuring it out now, slowly but surely smile.gif

And it does look like my original download is intact. the MTX downloader shot up to about the halfway point pretty quick, then settled down into a normal download mode. More or less. Flaky wireless isn't helping any, but... That's normal for me. I'm hitting the torrent as well, just to be safe smile.gif

Bull
Dumori
The torrent tend to runfaster its the exact same torrent the program uses but just useing it via a diffrent client tends to be quicker.
Bull
Ok, just an update from my own perspective, everything is up and running again, for the most part, it seems. Caine Hazen and I both have it installed and have played a bunch. Fun stuff. smile.gif

I'm going to poke at him about getting a Dumpshock server up and running at some point in the near future. smile.gif I'd love to set up a few Lance on Lance fights smile.gif
Faraday
QUOTE (Bull @ May 16 2010, 09:18 PM) *
Ok, just an update from my own perspective, everything is up and running again, for the most part, it seems. Caine Hazen and I both have it installed and have played a bunch. Fun stuff. smile.gif

I'm going to poke at him about getting a Dumpshock server up and running at some point in the near future. smile.gif I'd love to set up a few Lance on Lance fights smile.gif

That would be AWESOME.

I rabidly went about playing MW4 for the last day or two. >.>
Stahlseele
Also, MekTek came out with Patch .21 not too long ago, which is supposed to fix some problems.
Also, there's a complete .21 installer, so you don't need to apply all the patches. Just get the 1.78Gig download of the .21 Version and you are done.
Untill the next patch comes out, at least.
Dumori
I still can't pick a pick a set of keybinds that works well for me.
Stahlseele
Use Arrow-Keys up/down for faster/slower
Use numpad 0 for zoom
use mouse for sttering left/right.
use the insert, pos1, pgup, del, end, pgdown for firing groups 1 to 6.
user enter for jumpjets
use space for centering torso on legs.
left mouse button fires weapon.
use # to switch firing mode. all you need is either group or chain fire.
ignore everything else. you won't need it.
only other stuff you will need is the F-Keys for your lancemates.
Dumori
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 17 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Use numpad 0 for zoom
user enter for jumpjets

Aye I have a Joystick though so I'm still experimenting to in clued that well. But yeah I think I might steal a bit from you there I have 11 buttons on my joystick though 4 of them aren't really acessable being on either side and hard to reach for those tasks you need to use quickly (I know this form my playing of X2-3).
Stahlseele
Yeah, Joystick is nice and all, i just never got the hang of it . . even if it's toted as THE WAY TO PLAY MECHWARRIOR!
Dumori
lol I'm new to MW so I'll expererment to death. I might even try to drom the kyboard totaly Joystick mouse only.
Stahlseele
if you can aquire one, try to get one of the steel bataillon controllers and hook that one up ^^
Dumori
I'm looking to pick up somethinf like this or this. As they both have a joystick plus all the other dodads that are handy for my space sims ect and would likely with some practice work nice with FPS and other sim games.
Bull
I actually have been playing with an XBox 360 controller (I'm really bad at keyboard controls, and I don't have a Joystick). Works fairly well, though I need to keep the keyboard handy for a few things, and I cannot figure out how to get it to recognize the right stick for Torso Twisting.

Bull
Faraday
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 17 2010, 08:09 AM) *
Use numpad 0 for zoom
user enter for jumpjets

You forgot the coolant flush button and radar toggling. wink.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dumori @ May 18 2010, 10:31 PM) *
lol I'm new to MW so I'll expererment to death. I might even try to drom the kyboard totaly Joystick mouse only.

If you have questions, ask. i'm glad to see new people playing mechwarrior again ^^
QUOTE (Dumori @ May 19 2010, 12:33 AM) *
I'm looking to pick up somethinf like this or this. As they both have a joystick plus all the other dodads that are handy for my space sims ect and would likely with some practice work nice with FPS and other sim games.

That looks really uncomfortable to me O.o I guess i'm just too old school to abandon my mouse and keyboard for something different <.<;,
QUOTE (Bull @ May 19 2010, 04:00 AM) *
I actually have been playing with an XBox 360 controller

BOOOO!!!! XD ^^
QUOTE (Faraday @ May 19 2010, 04:31 AM) *
You forgot the coolant flush button and radar toggling. wink.gif

I usually leave that on the standard things.
IF i do change it, coolant flush goes down to left ctrl and radar to left shift.
much more important is the switching of stopping the auto shutdown from a combination of two buttons to just one button of your choice.
maybe switching the mission goals to something else too.
But usually, you really don't need these as much as you would think . .
Karoline
For those that like a strategy version that is a direct throwback to the miniatures version, you may want to check out Titans of Steel.
Stahlseele
Or, you could play Megamek (http://megamek.sourceforge.net/) or MechCommander (http://www.mechcommander.org/)
Bull
I never got to play MechCommander. I wonder if Caine has any of them kicking around (And if they run on Win 7)?

Bull
Faraday
QUOTE (Bull @ May 20 2010, 05:56 PM) *
I never got to play MechCommander. I wonder if Caine has any of them kicking around (And if they run on Win 7)?

Bull

There's always XP VMs. smile.gif

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 19 2010, 02:19 AM) *
\
But usually, you really don't need these as much as you would think . .
Tell that to the guy with a novacat and 3 ER PPCs. nyahnyah.gif
Stahlseele
Only three?
You can have 4 or 5 in some 'Mechs.
QUOTE (Bull @ May 21 2010, 02:56 AM) *

Bull

i think one or both of the mechcommander parts are available as vaporware or freeware or however that's called.
meaning you can legally download them. and with a bit of tinkering, i think they do work under windows 7.
if i can find some free time tomorrow, i will experiment a bit on my laptop, which runs windows 7 64.
and if that does not work and if you have a legal windows 7 version, you can download the XP Mode from Microsoft.
which is basically supposed to be a highly integrated windows xp virtual machine for free with serial . .
Faraday
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 21 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Only three?
You can have 4 or 5 in some 'Mechs.

Novacat's only 70 tons. I'm a big fan of gauss rifles on my assault mechs. wink.gif
Stahlseele
i'm not. 7xER Large for me.
or for close in, 3xCUAC20.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 20 2010, 02:16 AM) *
Or, you could play Megamek (http://megamek.sourceforge.net/) or MechCommander (http://www.mechcommander.org/)

In case you wonder, both of these are part of MicroSoft XNA shared source releases and are not pirated.
Stahlseele
if that were not the case, i would not have posted these links out in the open knowingly.
dabz
still i cannot access with this one..how can i make it? i really dont know...i was keep on installing but still its not working
Stahlseele
*sigh* yeah, there's still problems with this.
they are working on a complete full installer with an .exe file which you don't need the MTX for . . i hope they are successfull and soon . .
kanislatrans
got it running...now for a month or so of practice and I'll see ya all in the field.
Stahlseele
Have fun ^^
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 18 2010, 03:09 PM) *
if you can aquire one, try to get one of the steel bataillon controllers and hook that one up ^^

I bought that when it came out and I must say it is still the best mech simulator around. I do not recommend attempting to use the controller for MW though. Mostly due to it's large size.
Stahlseele
*sigh*
i wish i could get one of those controllers somewhere around here . .
I'd be tempted to try and hook it up to my computer to run the Crysis Mod MWLL with . .
Or at least MW4 Mercs the Free Release ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012