Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contacts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Runs-with-Scissors
Heya,

Before I have to go writing up stats for various contacts, anyone have any already made up? Player of mine came up with some strange contacts (Ares Arms Quartermaster), and I have no clue where he got it from (one of the 2E books, maybe). Any suggestions?

R-W-S
k1tsune
I usually just modify either a.) the sample contacts from the BBB or Companion, or b.) the sample characters.
Siege
It depends on what books you have.

Before you commit to writing up a half-page character, figure out the relationship -- jot down a quick note or two and run with it.

An Ares Arms Quartermaster?

A quartermaster is in charge of supplies for an organization -- is he thinking of a Quartermaster for the Ares military?

Or maybe a fixer or even an armorer who specializes in Ares products?

-Siege
Backgammon
Why would you need stats for contacts?
REM
QUOTE (Backgammon)

Incase they get attacked. My local SR group has atleast two people who would attack anything. Likely there own contacts.
Siege
QUOTE (REM)
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Feb 18 2004, 09:21 PM)

Incase they get attacked. My local SR group has atleast two people who would attack anything. Likely there own contacts.

Hah! That's the first time I've ever heard of a party earning "Hung Out to Dry." grinbig.gif

-Siege
mfb
legend says that in some games, contacts do more than sit around and wait for equipment requests. i'm not superstitious enough to believe that, though.
Runs-with-Scissors
As far as stats, my players use contacts for info, and use fixers and such to TRY to get weapons. I often make my players roll Etiquette for dealing with contacts, getting info out of them (especially Lvl 1, or those that haven't had their share of nuyen upkeep). God forbid players trying to frag their own contacts, but with a paranoid group...hell, even their mothers aren't safe.

Actually, I noticed that a lot of the contacts have stats/skills prelisted (ala BBB and SR comp). I noted on Ebay that there was a Contacts supplement (came with the 2nd ed screen?) and wondered if anyone had seen it, or if it was worth trying to get ahold of.

R-W-S
REM
Contacts and fixers can be one and the same.
k1tsune
My players' contacts would actually be useful for all kinds of things, if they thought of using them.

badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger...
REM
QUOTE (k1tsune)
My players' contacts would actually be useful for all kinds of things, if they thought of using them.

badgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadgerbadger...

cept i aint got contacts.
k1tsune
QUOTE (REM)

Maybe I wasn't talking about you. ^_^

Also note that with a little care and a few gifts, any of you could claim any of the friendly-to-neutral NPC's as contacts.

One elven rigger, perhaps?
REM
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (REM @ Feb 18 2004, 09:54 PM)

Maybe I wasn't talking about you. ^_^

Also note that with a little care and a few gifts, any of you could claim any of the friendly-to-neutral NPC's as contacts.

One elven rigger, perhaps?

actually i was planing on claiming her as a love intrest.... but contact would work too.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Runs-with-Scissors)
As far as stats, my players use contacts for info, and use fixers and such to TRY to get weapons. I often make my players roll Etiquette for dealing with contacts, getting info out of them (especially Lvl 1, or those that haven't had their share of nuyen upkeep). God forbid players trying to frag their own contacts, but with a paranoid group...hell, even their mothers aren't safe.

Actually, I noticed that a lot of the contacts have stats/skills prelisted (ala BBB and SR comp). I noted on Ebay that there was a Contacts supplement (came with the 2nd ed screen?) and wondered if anyone had seen it, or if it was worth trying to get ahold of.

R-W-S

I have it, and no it's not worth getting. Unless you need more contacts to kill. The "fan" contact, I have to admit, could be very fun to kill.
Shanshu Freeman
I was thinking an interesting contact to have would be the local university's library's head referrence decker or something. That sounds useful, right? "Hey, Ben, I'm 'Writing a paper' on abnormal viri. I need such and such info..."
Siege
The comprehensive list of contacts:

Wigs' Contacts

He moved his archive and hasn't granted permissions to the new files, but it's got a massive listing of almost any possible contact you could want and then some.

-Siege
toturi
Unless the info you are trying to get is unavailable from public libraries I doubt the uni library head contact is going much more useful.
Siege
Actually, you'd be surprised the kind of information stored in University libraries.

Granted, you won't out about the Yak turf war, but if the University is any good, academic journals and resources can be found on almost any topic you care to explore.

-Siege
toturi
Yes, probably I'll find the same things in the UCAS Library of Congress (which is probably open to the public)
Siege
QUOTE (toturi)
Yes, probably I'll find the same things in the UCAS Library of Congress (which is probably open to the public)

And a contact: UCAS Library of Congress Librarian could come in handy there, too. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Fortune
QUOTE (toturi)
...the UCAS Library of Congress (which is probably open to the public)

But probably requires you to slot your SIN to gain admittance. In fact, throughout history, most libraries have not been open to the public. I can easily see this restriction being reinstated in the Sixth World.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (toturi @ Feb 19 2004, 11:32 PM)

But probably requires you to slot your SIN to gain admittance. In fact, throughout history, most libraries have not been open to the public. I can easily see this restriction being reinstated in the Sixth World.

Heck, even these days, to check out a book at least, you have to prove who you are with ID and apply for a Library Card. At least it's like that around here.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune)

Getting a LOC card does require a bit more effort than getting a regular library card, including the fact that you have to sit for a photo, which is on the card. But for what you get access to--it's definitely worth it.

I still have mine around somewhere.

I just do what someone (second, third post) suggested and use the characters in the BBB (depending on who is actually fleshing out the contact, the player or GM, since the player should--least of why as to not get screwed as much).
maergrethe
Having a librarian contact is actually quite brilliant if you ask me. I've worked as a librarian before, and there are things you learn that no one else really does. And there are links between articles and people and things that no one thinks to look for but the librarian who has already gone through them all. You may ask a librarian for something on gene research and you'll get it--but you may get things about how gene research will affect the medical field as well as economics as well as corporate monopolies in addition--the kinds of things other people may think about but can't find.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb)
legend says that in some games, contacts do more than sit around and wait for equipment requests. i'm not superstitious enough to believe that, though.

Don't be in for any surprises then. wink.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 19 2004, 09:45 PM)

Getting a LOC card does require a bit more effort than getting a regular library card, including the fact that you have to sit for a photo, which is on the card. But for what you get access to--it's definitely worth it.

I still have mine around somewhere.

I just do what someone (second, third post) suggested and use the characters in the BBB (depending on who is actually fleshing out the contact, the player or GM, since the player should--least of why as to not get screwed as much).

Don't you have a SIN you keep squeeky clean?

Usually my PCs have at least 2 SINs that will pass muster for any Background checks the Matrix Marshals would deem appropriate to perform. That includes visits to the White House, for any of the sensitive positions the CIA/FBI/<<insert you favourite alphabets here>> have.

Heck their disposable SINS are already good enough to clear them into Fort Lewis. One of the PCs lives in the base BOQ, making any attack on the PC an intrusion into a military held AA(or was that AAA?) zone.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 20 2004, 12:50 PM)

Don't you have a SIN you keep squeeky clean?

I only meant IRL in that particular post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012