Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Martial Arts thread..
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Solstice
Please feel free to comment on anything you feel needs improvement. I'm pretty new to the mechanics etc.

Savate

Savate is a fighting style originating in the backstreets and underworld of 17th century Paris. A conglomerate of techniques comprise this art, including open handed strikes, kicks, grapples, weapon use, and improvisation. The use of clubs, knives, canes, chairs, umbrellas and other improvised or common weapons is taught as well as kick boxing and grappling.

Advantages

Instead of choosing an Savate maneuver, a character using this skill may choose to use an already learned manuever using either the Clubs skill or the Edged Weapons skill (each melee weapon skill counts as a seperate maneuver).

A pracitioner of Savate may also execute learned melee maneuvers using an improvised melee weapon (see Canon Companion pg. 11).

Disadvantages

Because Savate is basically an evolved street fighting art, a character using this skill suffers a -1 die when attempting to use the Pull Punches, Subduing Combat or Full Defense melee options.

Maneuvers

Close Combat, Full Offense, Ground Fighting, Kick Attack, Sweep, Kip-up, Multi-Srike, Zoning

more to come later. Feel free to use/reproduce/modify in any way you want.
toturi
Pretty good, but it does differ the Canon savate quite a bit. Mayhap you can come up something in between? Say keep the emphasis on Kickboxing and add a little weapon training to flavour?
Solstice
Where is this "Canon Savate"?

What do you suggest I change? Maybe add a -1 TN to kick attack and sweep?

I made it this way so that I would have something to compare to the next MA that will be posted soon. It also emphasizes weapons.
sable twilight
Since I thought it was a martial art form geared to augmenting fighting with a blade or cane, I would think Savate should penalize non-kick maneuvers that are made without a weapon, or so I've seen it done in other game systems. Otherwise it looks good.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Solstice)
Where is this "Canon Savate"?

What do you suggest I change? Maybe add a -1 TN to kick attack and sweep?

I made it this way so that I would have something to compare to the next MA that will be posted soon. It also emphasizes weapons.

Savate is listed as being functionally identical to Muay Thai on pg 89, CC.
Shockwave_IIc
Erm don't all the Canon Martial Arts have 9 Maneuvers?
Solstice
It may be functionally identical in SR but not in reality...that is why I made a new entry for it.

And I don't think all MAs have 9 maneuvers, i think some had more and less.

Not sure.

Sable: I would do as you said but it did evolve from boxing. Also I feel it's fairly balanced as is and I don't want to complicate things even more by saying something like "any non-kick attack suffers..." etc. Thanks for your input.
Feyd 47
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Erm don't all the Canon Martial Arts have 9 Maneuvers?

You'll probably find that they have somewhere between eight and ten maneuvers. I think..
Shockwave_IIc
Nope just counted all have nine, unless i've been a complete numpty
Solstice
Feyd get ahold of me so we can figure out a way to incorporate different Ryu into this style. Thanks.

Kenjutsu

"the art of the sword" was first systematically taught in Japan over twelve-hundred years ago. This is the art of the Samuri.
At it's height, over 800 "ryu" or schools of kenjutsu existed, each teaching a different style of sword fighting.

Weapon combat comprises the bulk of Kenjutsu training and focuses on blindingly fast, brutal sword strikes. The unarmed portion of Kenjutsu primarily focuses on defensive techniques vs. armed opponents specifically.

Advantages:

Rather than choosing a Kenjutsu maneuver, a character with this skill can choose to use a single already learned Kenjutsu maneuver while unarmed.

Kenjutsu practioners are adept at disarming opponents and fighting defensively, they gain +1 die when using the Disarm or Full Defense melee combat options. This bonus only applies when the Kenjutsu user is unarmed fighting an armed opponent.

Disadvantages:

All chosen manuvers are used only with edged weapons unless purchased seperately (see above).

An unarmed character using this skill suffers -1 die when initiating a melee enegagement (i.e., they are the attacker).

Maneuvers:

Blind Fighting, Focus Strength, Focus Will, Full Offense, Herding, Multi-Strike, Whirling, Zoning
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012