Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I put Fairies into SR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
simonw2000
I got the idea for this thread after reading a SR fic where a Johnson with a unique UGE hires some runners.

I was thinking about putting some of the Fair Folk into a campaign. How do I do that?
Nikoli
I would almost say you should look through the various spirits, etc. Use free spirits to represent the fey.
Siege
A unique URGE? Like a fetish?

However, it's easy enough to have ripple Awakenings with creatures "popping" up. It's not Canon, but it's a simple enough explanation.

It's also possible Fairies have been here along, just hiding _well_ under the radar. Kinda like IEs -- known only to a select few, etc. etc.

-Siege
sable twilight
Well, if you want to be "accurate" to their origins, most of them would be free spirits. Hearth spirits for things like Knockers, Bogies, Brownies and the like, field spirits for others (like kobolds I think). Some, like true dryads and pixies, could be forest spirits. Nymphs, Koopa, and Silkies would be water spirits. I could also see some being spirits of the the sky.
Lantzer
And don't forget sprites, from the Critters list. Classic puny winged magical fairies.
simonw2000
UGE as in Unexplained Genetic Expression, drekhead!

Siege: Makes sense. I mean, there's plenty of magic at the present timeline. The fey appearing could still surprise people. I'm think of having them with the empathic power.

Anyone know of any good fairy sites?
Fahr
you could always adapt some of the WoD changeling rules... they might not be so bad in a SR universe...

my 2 nuyen

-Mike R.
Siege
Yeah well, "A Johnson with a unique UGE" sounds like a fetish to me. grinbig.gif

-Siege

Edit: As for the Fairy websites, not really. I know you can find supplemental books for other game systems that have Fairy listings -- d20, off the top of my head. But I can't think of any reference site.
sable twilight
Oh dear [insert appropriate divinity or non-divine cosmological force here]. That's like asking if there are any good sites on Witchcraft/Wicca. Personally I like the Brian Froud myself. He has a web site here:
Word of Fround
Shanshu Freeman
I was *so* gonna make a crack about picking up Fairies at the Pink Flamingo decker bar, until I saw the subtitle saying "no jokes" frown.gif

Anyway, sounds like a fascinating idea. Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!
Kagetenshi
Windlings. 'Nuff said.

~J
Synner
Just a little longer...
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Windlings. 'Nuff said.

~J

Which are? (Ack! I'm showing my n00b-ness again.)
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 19 2004, 05:06 PM)
Windlings. 'Nuff said.

~J

Which are? (Ack! I'm showing my n00b-ness again.)

Windlings: small ED era namegivers.

See "Sprites" in Paranormals of Europe. page 94
k1tsune
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Windlings: small ED era namegivers.

See "Sprites" in Paranormals of Europe. page 94

Ah! That would explain why they sounded vaguely familiar, but I wasn't getting any other info from my memory.
RangerJoe
I like Bull's take on the little winged folk.

Rules for Sprites and other Smalled Winged PC/NPCs
Shadow
QUOTE (sable twilight)
Some, like true dryads and pixies, could be forest spirits.

There are already dryads, there in the SR comp.
mfb
faries without gay jokes? that's like san fran without... never mind.

i think it depends on what you mean by 'faries'. if you're talking Tinkerbell, there's the sprites from PAoE. if you're talking about the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, well, that'd be the Tirs. if you're talking about mischeivous forest spirts, there's mischievous forest spirits. if you're talking about none of the above, perhaps you should clarify!

i think when he said 'true dryads', he was talking about the tree-women critters portrayed in D&D.
moosegod
Knockers and Leshies made it into the Critters book.
Kalibar
You could always update the ones in PAoE. There's a section on fae spirits, wouldn't be to hard...think I'll do that once I get the book back from one of my players(ETA 2wks).
John Campbell
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (sable twilight @ Feb 19 2004, 11:51 AM)

Yeah, but those are fragging stupid. All-female midget elves with an allergy to cities? WTF? Metavariants with enforced personality stereotypes? This isn't D&D.

I figure that dryads are a possible forest spirit manifestation, and pretend that SRC never even mentioned them.
Siege
QUOTE (Shadow)

Feh, what John said.

A race that takes the phrase "tree hugger" literally?

Insert "woody woodpecker" jokes as necessary.

-Siege
k1tsune
Well, I mean.. those dendrophiliac elves... (Spelling might be off).

Maybe that's where dryads come from!
danbot37
reminds me of the old joke, why do you put duct tape around a fairy?
Siege
QUOTE (danbot37)

For some reason I see Tinkerbell with a red ball gag and really, really big eyes...grinbig.gif

-Siege
k1tsune
QUOTE (danbot37)

Dunno. Why?
Siege
QUOTE (k1tsune)
QUOTE (danbot37 @ Feb 19 2004, 10:51 PM)

Dunno. Why?

You're kidding?

The same reason you duct-tape devil rats and hamsters -- to keep them from exploding.

-Siege
Siege
Good luck with the Fairy conversions, but don't make a hobbit of it.

-Siege
moosegod
AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

You should just put that in your sig, Siege. It'll save me a lot of work.
k1tsune
Okay, that one WAS painful.
durthang
One thing that might make things interesting with the fey, is bringing back the Sidhe and the Tuatha de Dannan. These are the fey "elves" that are supposed to have once ruled Ireland and are vulnerable to iron. I doubt they'd be too pleased with the Tir Na Nog elves playing poser.
toturi
They'll die from the iron poisoning the Tir spec ops will feed them.
simonw2000
What about getting GURPS Faerie? Would that give me any ideas?
leemur
QUOTE (simonw2000)

Yes.

Ideas such as "Man! This system sucks!" and "Steve Jackson must be on drugs".
BIG BAD BEESTE
The whole thing about the Fae as in European culture & folklore, is that much of the world's mythology and legends are just old remeberances of previous awakenings. As such the "truth" about faeries in the Sixth World is left open to much conjecture and debate.

As for Canon stuff, then get your hands on the old Paranormal Animals of Europe sourcebook because it did actually approach the whole fae critter question with some good theories. Nothing substancial, but enough to make for interesting "this will make do until the scientific world really does manage to figure out what the hell they are" standards. There were several entries of such critters like the Sprite and Esach Eusgue (however it is spelt!) which have been noted to contain a fae strain of genetic code. There were also the distinctly fae abilities such as Fading - which is still a complete and utter mystery to the scientists and magical intitutions about the world.

The only other canon REAL FAE mentions would be in the novel Worlds Without End by Caroline Spector. But seeing as this deals with the metaplot of immortal elves and Horrors with a good deal of Earthdawn tie-in material you might be better off purusing all of those IE, Blood Wood and Great Dragon threads available here on the Dumshock boards.

If in doubt just use spirits manifesting in "faerie" forms and roleplay the atmosphere through rather than rely too heavily on canon "this is what a faerie is" distinctions. Its the best approach to those vague areas, like ghosts for example.
sable twilight
QUOTE (Shadow)

Those are an abomination. Notice I said true dryads.

QUOTE (Siege @ Feb 19 2004, 11:11 PM)
QUOTE (danbot37 @ Feb 20 2004, 03:51 AM)

For some reason I see Tinkerbell with a red ball gag and really, really big eyes...grinbig.gif

-Siege

There was at one time a comic out called bondage fairies (ya perv).
Kagetenshi
I remember that. I found it shortly after I learned what anime is, and very shortly before I learned what hentai is.
It was a mildly traumatizing experience.

~J
k1tsune
Really? I had this memory, this phrase "Bondage Fairies" that kept popping into my head, except I couldn't remember where I'd heard it.
Siege
QUOTE (k1tsune)
Really? I had this memory, this phrase "Bondage Fairies" that kept popping into my head, except I couldn't remember where I'd heard it.

Heh.

I'm not touching that one with a ten-meter cattle prod.

-Siege
simonw2000
100 feet more like.
sable twilight
QUOTE (k1tsune)

Mmmhmmm. Been around for quite a while now. But unless we're talking about putting these Fairy Johnsons in latex and leather I think the topic is deviating.
Nikoli
100ft cattle prod...
I dunno about you guys, but If I needed a 100 ft cattle prod, I am defintely not walking near the dang cows.
eek.gif
sable twilight
Cattle prods are good...
Nikoli
Rather have a charged shark baton,
Siege
QUOTE (sable twilight)
QUOTE (k1tsune @ Feb 20 2004, 03:05 PM)

Mmmhmmm. Been around for quite a while now. But unless we're talking about putting these Fairy Johnsons in latex and leather I think the topic is deviating.

Well, Elves in Urban Disguise. grinbig.gif

-Siege
sable twilight
As opposed to Elves in Urbane Disguise?
moosegod
STABBITY STABBITY STAB!!!
FlakJacket
QUOTE (leemur)
QUOTE (simonw2000 @ Feb 20 2004, 05:29 AM)

Yes.

That seems to be representative of a fairly large school of thought. Well, more so that the system could use some work rather than the drugs part. People buying GURPS books for the information and ideas for other games rather than GURPS itself. smile.gif
Siege
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (leemur)
QUOTE (simonw2000 @ Feb 20 2004, 05:29 AM)

Yes.

That seems to be representative of a fairly large school of thought. Well, more so that the system could use some work rather than the drugs part. People buying GURPS books for the information and ideas for other games rather than GURPS itself. smile.gif

I actualy like the source material for Transhuman Space. Quite a few of the other books make good supplements, but I have a pronounced distaste for the mechanical system.

-Siege
danbot37
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (k1tsune @ Feb 20 2004, 04:28 AM)
QUOTE (danbot37 @ Feb 19 2004, 10:51 PM)

Dunno. Why?

You're kidding?

The same reason you duct-tape devil rats and hamsters -- to keep them from exploding.

-Siege

Good, I'm not the only sick bastard who knows it then. lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012