Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers with Analytical
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tomothy
Do Technomancers with the Analytical positive quality get a bonus to threading??
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Tomothy @ May 12 2010, 05:36 AM) *
Do Technomancers with the Analytical positive quality get a bonus to threading??

You mean analytical mind? I'm away from my book but my recollection is no, why would they?

That doesn't stop analytical mind from being one of the best hacker/matrix user qualities you can get pound for pound.
Brazilian_Shinobi
AFAIK, yes.
Tomothy
You mean analytical mind? I'm away from my book but my recollection is no, why would they?

Analytical Mind gives +2 to software tests. Threading uses software.
LurkerOutThere
Errrr it does? ANd if it does why ask the question?
Brazilian_Shinobi
It gives +2 to Data Search and Software Tests.
If you say that Threading is a Threading Test that by coincidence uses the Software skill, then no, it does not help Threading.
If you consider that any Test using Software is a Software Test, then it does.

It all goes down to semantics.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ May 12 2010, 07:33 AM) *
It gives +2 to Data Search and Software Tests.
If you say that Threading is a Threading Test that by coincidence uses the Software skill, then no, it does not help Threading.
If you consider that any Test using Software is a Software Test, then it does.

It all goes down to semantics.

Though I have never actively played a Technomancer, I have always understood Threading Tests as a Subset of Software tests. I believe that Analytical Mind should indeed apply to Threading myself...

I believe that not everyone agrees with that assessment though...

Keep the Faith
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 12 2010, 11:26 AM) *
Though I have never actively played a Technomancer, I have always understood Threading Tests as a Subset of Software tests. I believe that Analytical Mind should indeed apply to Threading myself...

I believe that not everyone agrees with that assessment though...

Keep the Faith

I agree. Trying to make my first ever TM right now, and it is hard, and I realize I'm going to be relying massively on threading and sprites to get anything done, since having more than a half dozen programs is prohibitively expensive in BP. The +2 bonus to threading would be a nice little boost. Remember, it doesn't matter how big your threading pool is to some extent, because there is always going to be a limit to how much drain you can handle.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Karoline @ May 12 2010, 09:41 AM) *
I agree. Trying to make my first ever TM right now, and it is hard, and I realize I'm going to be relying massively on threading and sprites to get anything done, since having more than a half dozen programs is prohibitively expensive in BP. The +2 bonus to threading would be a nice little boost. Remember, it doesn't matter how big your threading pool is to some extent, because there is always going to be a limit to how much drain you can handle.

Yeah, No doubt...

Keep the Faith
Kerenshara
Pretty much, based on the FAQ and anecdotal evidence in the rules, it seems that any test that includes a particular [Skill] is by definition a [Skill] Test. Id you're actively "dodging" then since the test includes [Dodge] anything which affects [Dodge] skill tests would come into affect... including incompetence. I'd have to say it does apply, and I never considered it for a TM. Thanks for the heads-up.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ May 12 2010, 03:29 PM) *
Pretty much, based on the FAQ and anecdotal evidence in the rules, it seems that any test that includes a particular [Skill] is by definition a [Skill] Test. Id you're actively "dodging" then since the test includes [Dodge] anything which affects [Dodge] skill tests would come into affect... including incompetence. I'd have to say it does apply, and I never considered it for a TM. Thanks for the heads-up.

Indeed... And good to see ya again Kerenshara...

Keep the Faith
Udoshi
They way I see it is:

Analytical Mind adds to Data Search, Software, and some Logic tests.

Do you roll Software? Then you get the bonus.
The only thing that changes between using Software to code programs or crack copy protection and Threading is the linked attribute changes. "OH NO! I'm Not rolling Logic anymore! Clearly software doesn't apply at all anymore, somehow!"

Fuck that. Yes, analytical mind applies, and its one of the better attributes for TMs. Especially for Logic-based streams(if you can swing a good arguement for using it on Fading tests.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012