Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian integration into the UCAS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimsondude 2.0
I was just interested to know if anyone has any ideas on how some of the Canadian government was integrated into the UCAS. We see references to a lot of US-centric agencies as remaining in the UCAS government, but there were two governments before Unification Day. I think this is especially interesting in light of things like just merging the RCMP into the existing US government (i.e., the DoJ) when the RCMP's operations are reflected in the following US agencies:
  • FBI (natch)
  • US Secret Service (incl. Secret Service Unformed Division) (Protection, Electronic Crimes, etc.)
  • US Marshals Service (viz, Judiciary protection)
  • Immigration & Customs Enforcement (DHS agency; combined INS, Customs Service enforcement arms)
  • Diplomtic Security Service (AFAIK. This is what prompted the whole investigation)
  • BATFE (I assume, and for completeness)
I'd mention the DEA, but since that's a part of Lone Star, it's not a major issue. However, there are also things the RCMP does that have no eqv. in the US, such as "contract policing" and operating in peacekeeping operations. But of course, the main difference is that there is no national uniformed police force in the U.S. (Those that are uniformed are either in D.C., ports of entry, federal lands, or the border, generally.)

There's also be a previous discussion about the different intelligence and military units, neither of which have produced much consensus.

However, in the context of the aggregate information on the UCAS, there are only a handful of federal law enforcement agencies in the UCAS:
  • FBI (FBi today, plus smuggling (bye-bye ICE))
  • Secret Service (same as today, except...)
  • Marshals Service (same, but incredulously enough... Matrix Crime. Because it's not like the Secret Service has a history of investigating computer-based/cyber crime or anything...)
  • BATTF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Telesma, and Firearms)
  • FedPols
Basically, what happened to all the Canucks?
Backgammon
Candian military forces would have been swallowed up completely, that's for sure. However, since Quebec is responsible for a good many canadian soldeirs, I can imagine that when it seceded it took many soldiers "defected", leaving the candaian forces somewhat weaker.

RCMP would probably be modified but still exist. The RCMP has experience, like you say, that the US does not match. I see the RCMP going back to the more traditionnal image, hunting bad guys in the wilderness and that sort of thing. It has too much history and tradition to disapear.
toturi
Mention of Matrix Mounties in Matrix. Therefore the fair assumption is that the Mounties got absorbed into the Marshals.

Remember IRL, Marshal service is also responsible for hunting down escaped felons and for safeguarding civillian use of nuclear materials. You might want to build on the IRL Marshal and Mounties. Tracking and hunting felons is something the Mounties are quite famous for, so why not have the Mounties being in charge of running down those "dead or alive" cases? Having the Mounties being a sort of federal bounty hunter sounds kinda cool.
crazyivans
After the cede of the Majority of N. America to NAN, and of the Formation of Quebec, there is very little of Canada left to be part of the UCAS. Look at your map on page 13 of SR3. To better understand how American politics closely resemble Corporate Hostile Takeovers, one must look no further than Modern day Iraq. While there is the Pro mise to turn over Control in August to a Provisional Government, the US will still have its hand up the Iraqi Political skirt for awhile. I think the same holds true for the 6th world....
moosegod
However, to entice what remained of Canada, the UCAS turned much more towards a welfare state level. So, the takeover must not have been too hostile.

That was part of the reason the CAS seceded again. They weren't interested.
Swansonegger
What likely really happened was the the writers and developers had no clue about Canadian anything, and so just assumed that the new UCAS would be All-American. And seeing as all this has become Canon, it is going to take some imaginative and creative explaining to sort the whole thing out. Especially considering the strong anti-American sediments in the parts of Canada that apparently joined the UCAS.

I think something more along the lines of what we read in the books is actually a politically correct version, and that in reality, the US took the large military forces mobilised for fighting the emergin NAN and took over the parts of Canada that became the UCAS (for reasons unknown to me). What we are now reading in the books is actually the "altered" history to make the conquered Canucks happy.

This will easily explain why there is virtually no mention of traditional Canadian icons (the RCMP) in most of the Canon. And likely set up a new hook for gaming. The Canadian Revolutionary. wink.gif

Of course, I am pulling this out of my ass as I type, so it would need to be cross-referenced with the CAS and California successions, and the Quebec succession. Maybe while the US was so busy annexing Canada, the CAS took to opportunity to secede, because the military was too wrapped up in pacifying the Canucks.
Kagetenshi
Given that they start merging in 2030, I'd guess that the Crash would shake things up enough that survival would be of prime importance. Maybe Canada somehow got hit harder (perhaps they had a more modern infrastructure with more importance placed on computer records) and the US equivalents, mired as they were in physical files, recovered better and absorbed their counterparts.

~J
Nath
Well, when West and East Germany were reunited, little if any of the East German organizations was kept (they could have kept the Stasi, it was a lot more efficient than its western counterpart ^^ ). Not that Canada shape was as bad in 2030 as East Germany was in 1989, but you need to draw a line somewhere. Also remember not to look at the UCAS map in 2060, but the one of when the UCAS were created: US and thus UCAS for a few years still included CAS and California. It's a lot easier to reorganize half of Ontario with the US systems than to apply even a small part of Canadian organization in 38 States. The Canadian can consider themselves lucky that the name of the country changed. The US didn't changed it for the 37 previous admissions.
Fortune
QUOTE (Swansonegger)
What likely really happened was the the writers and developers had no clue about Canadian anything, and so just assumed that the new UCAS would be All-American.

AFAIK, Nigel Findlay, for one, was Canadian.
Kanada Ten
Note that Washington has Federal Police (Fedpols). Perhaps they also guard other federal buildings. Uniformed Federal Police, the Canadian legacy. And health care. spin.gif
Veracusse
As a Canadian myself, it actually makes total sense that none or very few of the Canadian institutions were merged into the UCAS. First of all many Canadian institutions are redundant in what they do and their purpose. The RCMP is very similar to functions of many US institutions, i.e. the FBI, Marshals, Border Guard, State Troopers, Sherrif Dept., and others. It will make the UCAS even were off if they worse in terms of bureaucracy to try and accomodate the Canucks, just so they could maintain a little cultural pride.

Canada, after the Indians miracously divided up more than half of North America :rolling eyes:, and Quebec seceded from Canada (taking Labrador and the Northern part of the province as well), the country was only left with a few cities that are land locked from any major oceans. And to get to the Atlantic they have to go through Quebec, which is most likely not too friendly. For cities like Toronto, Ottawa, etc. they would need a direct land route to the Atlantic at least to maintain any sort of economy. Second, what is left of Canada is probably out of money, banckrupt, no resources, and in a pretty bad shape.

They most likely had no other choice than to give in to the US and become a part of them with very little concessions. Also, what was left of the old US was not too open to giving up any thing else of their own country.

The point made about the UCAS becoming more social, probably had nothing to do with enticing the Canadians. The US was already a huge social bureaucracy by 2030. I am sure that Universal Health Care for all, and free presecription drugs for everyone was available a lot sooner than 2030. Even today the US is becoming a Welfare State, as much as Canada is today and would be in 2030.

Veracusse
Swansonegger
QUOTE (Fortune)
AFAIK, Nigel Findlay, for one, was Canadian.

Look Fortune, don't be bringing facts and stuff into my posts that I am bringing out of my ass. But that's ok, I understand an old guy like yourself with delusions that the Maple Leafs are going to win the Stanley Cup this year can make mistakes like this from time to time.

biggrin.gif
Crusher Bob
What really happened to the Canadians is that they were eaten (yeah, that's it). You see, after the crash, there were all these hungry and belligerent Americans to the south and all of these plump and juicy Canadians to the north. So the US trumped up some reason to annex Canada, got out the salt and pepper and went north. And that's why there are no Canadians in the UCAS. nyahnyah.gif
Solstice
I feel that the US Marshals and Texas Rangers were pretty much operating in the same capacity as the RMCP. Not to say they didn't carry over.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
More likely, the game was targeted mostly for the American consumer, who knows (in general) little about things beyond their borders and likely care less about Canadian stuff. So, the writers just sorts...ignored the Canadian part of the merger.
Backgammon
I always felt the writers of SR did not ignore any country or present an all-american game. I mean, everything is in meters, which americans don't really get.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (toturi)
Mention of Matrix Mounties in Matrix. Therefore the fair assumption is that the Mounties got absorbed into the Marshals.

Wow. Which just further fuels the utter confusion I have at the Marshals Service having jurisdiction over Matrix Crimes as opposed to, say, an agency which has been doing it since computer crime has existed. (!!)

Remember IRL, Marshal service is also responsible for hunting down escaped felons and for safeguarding civillian use of nuclear materials.

Thanks for the reminder, because you know... I'm an idiot.

You might want to build on the IRL Marshal and Mounties. Tracking and hunting felons is something the Mounties are quite famous for, so why not have the Mounties being in charge of running down those "dead or alive" cases? Having the Mounties being a sort of federal bounty hunter sounds kinda cool.

I would assume that function was undoubtedly absorbed into the Marshals Service.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Note that Washington has Federal Police (Fedpols). Perhaps they also guard other federal buildings. Uniformed Federal Police, the Canadian legacy.

Eh. I would think that, except that the FedPols generally served to replace the MPD and police the expanded Federal District. I'll give you the US Park Police, but I don't see how that would affect the Secret Service Uniformed Division (for instance), simply because of its rather specialized and limited jurisdiction in D.C. That's what bothers me, though. the RCMP does the job of the Secret Service (and USSS/UD) and the DSS in regards to diplomatic security (USSS here. DSS abroad). Since the Secret Service definitely exists, I would assume the RCMP's protective operations were generally integrated into the USSS. But, would they also merge some of them into DSS, or just merge the DSS into the USSS with the RCMP components?

QUOTE (Veracusse)
The US was already a huge social bureaucracy by 2030.

The US was almost in default when SR begins, even to the point that it sold off the Postal Service(!)--which has existed since the founding of the U.S. What on earth suggest that the government ever got larger?

QUOTE (Solstice)
I feel that the US Marshals and Texas Rangers were pretty much operating in the same capacity as the RMCP. Not to say they didn't carry over.

Yeah, except the Marshals and Rangers don't do exactly the same thing (The Rangers are the Texas State Police), and the Rangers especially not by the 2030s.
Solstice
I just wrote like 3 pages worth of information comparing the three agencies mentioned and then I lost it all. frown.gif

I will summarize

The mounties were initially a frontier force much like the Texas Rangers. The mounties have now evolved into a national police force that functions much like any police entity only on a contract basis, much like Lone Star.

The Marshals have always been charged with "special assignments" such as spy swapping, extremely high profile criminal manhunts, security for dignitaries, high profile prisoner transport etc. Also constains a Special Operations Group of which little can be readily found out.

The Rangers do much the same within Texas. They were charged with ambushing Bonnie and Clyde, tracking down escaped German POWs in WWII, security for high profile dignitarites etc. They are a component of the Division of Public Safety but they are no means the state troopers that pull you over for speeding.

In a nutshell if any of the above organizations can be considered "Special Operations" it would be the Marshals and possibly the Rangers within their state. The mission of the RMCP seems to have evovled to more of a governmentally controlled "local" police force.
Dog
So far, we seem very focused on law enforcement stuff (reasonably enough). But for colour and background, what about crown corporations? How many countries is the trans-canada railway (and therefore CPR/CN) spread across and what did it do to them? How could the national film board survive in the glare of hollywood? Given the political climate of the modern US, it's possible any surviving cast of 'This hour has 22 minutes' are in prison. Do you get to pick when you celebrate Thanksgiving? What do folks in New Brunswick do on President's day? What did they do with the international peace garden? Do people in New Jersey tell Newfie Jokes?
Just some food for thought.....
Solstice
good points. IMO cultural integration such as you speak of would lag far behind geographic borders. I'm sure that the Canadians did not become your average Joe American overnight. I'm sure they still hold many of the same values they did before the integration, and that may slowly change over time.
Slamm-O
i think they should rewrite it to make it more believable, maybe have a second fenian invasion of canada, this time with covert support from the USA. The snag though is that the elves say 'no thank you' to the offer of the trade so then america is stuck with a canada full of hate for all irish descendents (including their own, who must surely have helped the fenians)

and yes, i am serious, 100% so, about all of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012