Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arabia, Dubai
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hermit
Planning a game, I have take on research about the place where it is to be set - Dubai in the Caliphate.

So far, Sources I found were:

- Shadows of Asia (both in the Arabia section and in Game Info)
- Corp Enclaves (Dubai writeup)
- Loose Alliances (for arabian policlubs)
- Target: Wastelands (for the desert)

Also, the german-only novel Jede Wette takes place largely in Arabia, but it seems to contradict the CE writeup.

Anything else, anything I missed?
nezumi
Sex in the City 2 is set in Dubai.

You know. In case your game touches on those topics.
hermit
Not likely, since they're gonna go there to work, not buy fashionable shoes.

Did they shoot in the Chalifa tower?
CollateralDynamo
Due to the word "Sex" in the title, the Caliphate actually has a ban on the film. They had to shoot in another Middle Eastern country and make pretend it was Dubai. They did buy shoes there tho I think.

Also, why do I know that? How embarrassing....
nezumi
I know it because of Cracked.com . It was filmed in Morocco. But let's be honest, we're all Americans here, we can't tell the difference.

(To the non-Americans on DSF, let's be honest, you're not going to watch Sex in the City 2.)
Rasumichin
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 20 2010, 04:07 PM) *
(To the non-Americans on DSF, let's be honest, you're not going to watch Sex in the City 2.)

It's insanely popular amongst girls in Germany, too.
SitC exposure probably depends more on whether you're single than where you come from.
Unless you're from Dubai.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I only know it was shot in Morocco because of Stephen Colbert.
KarmaInferno
I'm going to bet that movie is going to completely ignore or gloss over the human rights violations that go on in Dubai.

QUOTE (nezumi @ May 20 2010, 08:22 AM) *
Sex in the City 2 is set in Dubai.

You know. In case your game touches on those topics.

I would totally play in this game.
toturi
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 20 2010, 11:07 PM) *
I know it because of Cracked.com . It was filmed in Morocco. But let's be honest, we're all Americans here, we can't tell the difference.

Let's be honest, I'm a non-American, so why the fuck won't I watch Sex in the City 2?

And to be brutally honest, I am not quite sure even 90% of DSF is American. So let's be honest, we aren't all Americans here.
hermit
Actually, I am not an American and I will watch it (if anything, it buys me a zombie movie evening; I am also to watch the movie on TV this weekend because I mentioned I have forgotten all about it). Some things are pretty universal. And this show is all the rage among girls pretty much everywhere where you can buy shoes and like western fashion (that is, anywhere).

My personal and in no way accurate estimate about Dumpshock's demographics, for what it's worth, is around 60% Americans, 20% Germans, and 20% other nationalities, ranging from other culturally primarily Anglo countries like Australia to Eastern Europe to Southeast Asian to South American. Are there any African dumpshockers?
Saint Sithney
I thought Americans were over Sex in the City.

Aren't all the women on that show old enough for senior citizen's discount tickets to see their own movie?
hermit
The beauty of digital post-work and make-up effects. It's the same with the Harry Potter actors being twens now and still playing teenagers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012