Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession vs. Rigging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
augmentin
What happens when a possession spirit attempts to possess a vehicle or drone being operated by a rigger, or ai, or pilot program. (Assuming of course, the spirit wins the possession test vs. the object resistance test.)
Thanks dumpshockers!
Mantis
I'd say good question, not a stupid one. I'd guess the spirit takes control over all of it since the vehicle or drone becomes their body. The AI or rigger would just be along for the ride, the same as if the possession spirit takes over a meat body. Pg102 in street magic has a side bar about possession and vehicles. It is ultimately up to the GM what can or can not be controlled by the spirit.
augmentin
QUOTE (Mantis @ May 21 2010, 05:09 PM) *
I'd say good question, not a stupid one. I'd guess the spirit takes control over all of it since the vehicle or drone becomes their body. The AI or rigger would just be along for the ride, the same as if the possession spirit takes over a meat body. Pg102 in street magic has a side bar about possession and vehicles. It is ultimately up to the GM what can or can not be controlled by the spirit.

Makes sense. Treating it like a meat body seems logical. Thanks!
Eratosthenes
I'd think it'd be the same as if a person was physically driving the car: the spirit gains control.
Valashar
The spirit gains control over portions of it. Remember that a possessing spirit cannot control anything that requires DNI or computer control within its vessel. So while the jumped-in rigger would lose gross control over the vehicle itself, they would retain control over those portions that the GM determines are too electronic for the spirit to interact with.

Not a bad distribution of actions for a rigger with a possession tradition magician on their team, come to think of it.
augmentin
QUOTE (Valashar @ May 21 2010, 10:50 PM) *
The spirit gains control over portions of it. Remember that a possessing spirit cannot control anything that requires DNI or computer control within its vessel. So while the jumped-in rigger would lose gross control over the vehicle itself, they would retain control over those portions that the GM determines are too electronic for the spirit to interact with.

Not a bad distribution of actions for a rigger with a possession tradition magician on their team, come to think of it.

The PC wanted to have a standby spirit possess the pursuing drone. Didn't know how to resolve it.
But, now that you mention it: having a rigger with summoning ability (or the combination you described) could lead to some interesting tactics.
I feel like I remember reading a thread about that somewhere. Where was that...

There it is.
I think I would've gone possession tradition myself.
Senjin24
the spirit would definitely have control over most of the vehicle though the rigger might still have access to some of the secondary systems like onboard sensors and maybe even weapons. when it comes down to it rigging is just an advanced version of move-by-wire driving/piloting. the only thing that changes is the control interface.
Eratosthenes
QUOTE (Senjin24 @ May 22 2010, 06:59 PM) *
the spirit would definitely have control over most of the vehicle though the rigger might still have access to some of the secondary systems like onboard sensors and maybe even weapons. when it comes down to it rigging is just an advanced version of move-by-wire driving/piloting. the only thing that changes is the control interface.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to rule that the rigger and/or driver would not have access to these systems, unless the spirit allowed it. They'd become as much a part of the spirit's new body as the tires or windows would, after all.

I think the rigger would get dumped (and suffer dumpshock) if rigging a vehicle that got possessed, now that I think about it. The electronics cease to be normal electronics upon possession, IMO.
augmentin
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ May 24 2010, 07:58 AM) *
I don't think it would be inappropriate to rule that the rigger and/or driver would not have access to these systems, unless the spirit allowed it. They'd become as much a part of the spirit's new body as the tires or windows would, after all.

I think the rigger would get dumped (and suffer dumpshock) if rigging a vehicle that got possessed, now that I think about it. The electronics cease to be normal electronics upon possession, IMO.

Hmmm. I can see both arguments. And now that we're exploring the tactical possibilities of possessing your own team's drones it becomes an important point. Not sure how to handle this one...
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ May 24 2010, 06:58 AM) *

Street Magic Sidebar p.102

"While the spirit may use all of its powers on the physical
plane through such a vessel, it may only
animate it to perform actions the vessel could
otherwise mechanically perform. For instance,
a possessed gun would be able to fire or eject
a clip, but would be unable to move by itself or
access its smartgun functions. Likewise, a possessed
bright-red SAAB Fury would be able to
drive itself, but not access GridLink, use a Pilot
program, or target weapons with sensors. As
a rule of thumb, spirits can control mechanical
functions, and not those which require complex
electronic, DNI, or wireless controls. Ultimately,
it’s up to the gamemaster to rule what the spirit
can control and what it can’t.
The combined entity uses its enhanced attributes
(or simply the spirit’s if it lacks attributes)
to calculate Initiative, and uses the spirit’s normal
Initiative Passes."

From the bit about grid link and sensors I think the rigger would still be jumped in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012