Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question regarding Bardobard's Seattle Map
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
10gauge
Yea. Long ago I went to a copy shop and let them print Bardobard's fantastic Seattle Map on 30x25 inch photographic paper. It costs me about 40$. Now I don't need it anymore. My question is: Am I allowed to sell this item on ebay?

Cheers!

edit: I'm such a damn fool. Just discovered that this map was done by Bardobard. My appologies! Shame on me! Post edited.
10gauge
Ok, I will do the following:

I will sell this item on ebay. If I earn more money than I payed for the print, I will donate the rest of the money to Bardobard. I think this is fair.
Karoline
Did you pay the $40 to the copy shop or to Wordman?

Is this something that Wordman charges for?

If you payed Wordman, than you can should be able to sell it to whoever you want for whatever price you want, because at that point it is just like if you purchased a painting from Wordman.

If you paid $40 to the copy shop for them to make a copy from Wordman's website or something, then you can't sell it for more then the $40 it cost to print it because it is (most likely) copyrighted work, which means you can't sell it for a profit. At this point it is basically 'someone else paid you to print it out for them'.

If this is something that you paid for, and then paid to have a copy made of it, then you can't sell it at all (unless you include the original) because at that point it is like copying a DVD and selling the copies.

You're best bet is to e-mail Wordman and ask.
tagz
I'm no lawyer, but I think since it's someone else's intelectual property and all you did was duplicate it... I'd say it's something someone could make a fuss about.

It's sorta like selling a burnt copy of Shrek on eBay.

But then, I don't really know. And it's entirely possible that it's not ok, but nobody would think it worth the trouble to pursue litigation.
Redcrow
Maybe you should just ask Wordman.
10gauge
Well, as I mentioned, I DO NOT want to make any profit. I paid 40$ to print it (Wordman stated that it's ok to print his work). If I should gain more money than the 40$ I paid to print the map, I WILL give every cent above 40$ to Wordman. This way I just get back what I already spent. So, everybody should be happy. I don't want to make profit with his work. I'd NEVER do.

Unfortunately I can't find a working e-mail to reach Wordman an he didn't show up here since the beginning of april. So, if anybody could give me a valid e-mail to reach him... please?! smile.gif
MJBurrage
Is there a working link to Wordman's Seattle map ?

I looked around his archived website, but could only find the world maps and regional maps.
10gauge
Yea. That's my fault. Sometimes I suck. The map was done by Bardobard and not by Wordman. smile.gif Shame on me.

You can download it from my website:

Shadowrun Seattle Map

Again: My appologies.
KarmaInferno
Copyrights protect against unauthorized 1) duplication, 2) distribution, 3) derivative works, 4) public performance, and 5) public display.

Duplication is copying (Duh). Distribution is handing or transmitting those copies to other people, regardless of if you made a profit or not. Derivative works is using copyrighted material as part of new work, which includes fan-fiction. Public performance only applies to works that can be 'performed', like music. Public display primarily covers showing movies.

None of these things can be done legally to a work unless the owner gives you specific permission to do so. Profit is irrelevant.

So, even if you have specific permission to duplicate (print out a copy), you as far as I can tell have NOT obtained specific permission to distribute said copy. So, if you wish to do so, understand the risks.

I will do ask for permission. Thanks.
Grinder
QUOTE (10gauge @ May 28 2010, 02:49 AM) *
Yea. That's my fault. Sometimes I suck. The map was done by Bardobard and not by Wordman. smile.gif Shame on me.

For what it's worth, I corrected the topic at least.
10gauge
Cool, thank you.
10gauge
Now I am allowed to sell it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Bardobard)
Moin!

Theoretisch haben die Foren-Trolls recht... Anyway, du hast hiermit mein Einverständnis, deinen einen Ausdruck der Karte zu verkaufen und dabei auch gerne steinreich zu werden wink.gif

Schöne Grüße
Bardobard

It's German, I know but he said it's ok to sell it an he also said I should make as much profit as possible. smile.gif

So, if anyone is interested, here's the link to my ebay auction:

Shadowrun Seattle Map (2060) on 30x25 inch photographic paper

International shipping is 15,40€ (about 20 US$).

Cheers!
10gauge
Biddings are at 8,00€ ATM. GO GO GO! Make me rich! biggrin.gif
10gauge
Yay. Auction is over.

So download the map and print it out by yourself. You you'll love it!

Bardobards Seattle Map (around 2060)

And... sorry. This is the last time, I will bump this up. Just want to generate some traffic for my site. notworthy.gif
Wordman
Damn. Sorry I missed out on all this filthy lucre!

Anyone know if Bardobards actually had the right to give you the selling rights?

As an example, I would not be able to give you selling rights to my world maps. This isn't because I don't want to; it is because I'm not allowed. My map is a derivative work of a world map I purchased from somewhere else. This purchase came with a license that allowed redistribution of derivative works in particular formats, but not the editable original. I'm pretty sure this same license prohibited selling such works, and certainly prohibited selling the original.
phillosopherp
QUOTE (Wordman @ Jun 16 2010, 07:08 AM) *

Anyone know if Bardobards actually had the right to give you the selling rights?

As an example, I would not be able to give you selling rights to my world maps. This isn't because I don't want to; it is because I'm not allowed. My map is a derivative work of a world map I purchased from somewhere else. This purchase came with a license that allowed redistribution of derivative works in particular formats, but not the editable original. I'm pretty sure this same license prohibited selling such works, and certainly prohibited selling the original.

I'd love to see your maps but the linkie no workie, please can I get an update so as to be able to see your stuff?
10gauge
QUOTE (Wordman @ Jun 16 2010, 04:08 PM) *

I don't know. Seriously.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012