Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Up to Boston
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sixgun_Sage
I'm looking to build a bit of information for my game for Boston, various reasons, anyone know where to look, books and on the net?
Grinder
Target: UCAS (old 2nd edition book iirc) has a chapter about the city.
Sixgun_Sage
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 29 2010, 03:04 PM) *
Target: UCAS (old 2nd edition book iirc) has a chapter about the city.

Any clues on where to find a copy online? Didn't spot anything on Ebay or Scribd.
Robineng
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ May 29 2010, 09:46 PM) *
Any clues on where to find a copy online? Didn't spot anything on Ebay or Scribd.

I would have to say ebay, just checked and found over a dozen for sale. Searched for 'Target UCAS Shadowrun'.
General Pax
Doesnt shadows of north america also contain some information? More recent and less silly information at that? Much as I love 1st and 2nd edition, they were way more over the top than the modern game is.
Propaganda
Yeah, Shadows Of North America is the most recent thing that has any details on Boston.
ravensmuse
The strange thing about Boston is, it gets mentioned a lot in material, but there hasn't been a good write-up of the town since Target: UCAS. And there, they were primarily talking about the Mob!

Remember that Boston is important for magical and technological progress (MIT&T, Harvard), as well as being a major part of the technomancer scare in the late 60s / 70s (Patient X was abducted from Harvard, iirc), plus lots of doctors, lawyers, lots of VIPs in training, as well as being a major party city. Then also remember that Boston Harbor was flooded with toxic waste in the early 21st century (Deer Island comes to mind), that there's Salem, MA (which, if it doesn't have something huge to add to the magical community, someone's smoking something), all sorts of stuff.

And if you have any questions, native Bostonian here, so.
HappyDaze
QUOTE (General Pax @ May 29 2010, 08:38 PM) *
Doesnt shadows of north america also contain some information? More recent and less silly information at that? Much as I love 1st and 2nd edition, they were way more over the top than the modern game is.

I find the SR4 setting materials to be much more silly than the early stuff. The early days of SR still had a lot of wonder and the ideas that a blend of styles were all acceptable. The current idea that Shadowrunners are stone cold professionals in a world that demands them to be that way is (IMO) much too silly.
tagz
I came across this when I had my game set in Boston. The Boston sprawl is quite large, encompassing all of present day Rhode Island.

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/RPG/SV/SRUN/BOSTON/boston.html

It's dated material but the best I've found so far. Hope it helps.
Saint Sithney
everybody forgets about the wiki...
Sixgun_Sage
This is why I posted here, I'm actually thinking of putting everything I can track down in to one big write-up. For some reason when I looked nothing showed up on Ebay before but it does now.... going to make a run to Orlando to see if the game store there has a copy of Target: UCAS or Shadows of North America. Not likely but hey, I found a copy of the storyteller's guide to the sabbat there for the old world of darkness...
'Sconnie
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 30 2010, 03:17 AM) *
The strange thing about Boston is, it gets mentioned a lot in material, but there hasn't been a good write-up of the town since Target: UCAS. And there, they were primarily talking about the Mob!

Remember that Boston is important for magical and technological progress (MIT&T, Harvard), as well as being a major part of the technomancer scare in the late 60s / 70s (Patient X was abducted from Harvard, iirc), plus lots of doctors, lawyers, lots of VIPs in training, as well as being a major party city. Then also remember that Boston Harbor was flooded with toxic waste in the early 21st century (Deer Island comes to mind), that there's Salem, MA (which, if it doesn't have something huge to add to the magical community, someone's smoking something), all sorts of stuff.

And if you have any questions, native Bostonian here, so

IIRC, Boston was also particularly hit hard by the Crash of '64. Wasn't Boston Ground Zero for one of Winternight's EMP devices?
LurkerOutThere
Not sure about the EMP bomb but boston had the East Coast Stock Exchange during the Novatech Buyout so it was effectively ground zero for the crash events as Deus worked to take over the matrix........and then puck turned his resignation along with a viral egg at the roots of Dues world tree construct.

At the very least the matrix around the old stock exchange and much of down town might have a lot of wierdness to it. Might even do something with a disonant cult trying to resurrect Deus if you've got any characters of a tech persuasion.
ravensmuse
Yeah, forgot to mention it (and I was thinking about that as I was writing up my previous post). I'm pretty sure they had an EMP bomb there (System Failure if you're looking for more information).

I also wanted to mention, as a native Bostonian, that every time that page gets brought up, I get a special little chuckle out of it. Boston would definitely expand, yes. But way out to Western Mass and Rhode Island? That's stretching it.
Saint Sithney
Meh, it's the old Metroplex thing. Remember that huge amounts of population shifted east after the Treaty of Denver. I could picture Boston absorbing a lot of those refugees.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Sixgun_Sage @ May 30 2010, 01:12 PM) *
This is why I posted here, I'm actually thinking of putting everything I can track down in to one big write-up. For some reason when I looked nothing showed up on Ebay before but it does now.... going to make a run to Orlando to see if the game store there has a copy of Target: UCAS or Shadows of North America. Not likely but hey, I found a copy of the storyteller's guide to the sabbat there for the old world of darkness...

You can also find Shadows of North America PDF (here on Battlecorps) Target: UCAS PDF (here on Battlecorps) Target UCAS PDF (here on dtrpg) and Shadows of North America PDF (here on dtrpg).

Hope that helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012