Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Next session
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
knasser

I have been putting together a pretty involved plot-line for my latest campaign arc which the players have been slowly working their way into. It's a modified Ghost Cartels campaign with Insect Spirits (not yet revealed in my setting) as the tempo producing villains and weaving in a feud between Ehran the scribe (a powerful magician who uncovered a lot of information about the Fourth World and passes around hints that he is secretly immortal, in order to impress movers and shakers in the Sixth World) and Harlequin, the last real immortal who is unamused to find some petty magician passing himself as one of Harlequin's lost brothers in arms. Ehran knows about the Invae from his reading of records of the Fourth World and is trying to play saviour by assisting them with their tempo plan so the Tir elves can "save the day" in the nick of time. Thanks to Harlequin, this isn't going to work and the campaign will culminate in the Chicago blast with the players involved.

I've also been writing up a lot of the PCs and location material for my site. I put a lot of time and thought into it all and I've discussed a lot of this in detail here or shared it on my site because I like other people to get use out of it.

However, despite my request to my players to avoid any of the printed material I use and to not read the comments and material I put online, I worked out after talking to one of my players last Friday that they'd been reading the material. Basically wasting all my work as far as my game is concerned. It clicked the next morning. So as I presume he's reading this now I'm creating this thread just to say: You're out of the game. Don't want you in it any more and if you want to play Shadowrun you can start your own game. You're done with mine. You told me you weren't reading and wouldn't read what I posted online. You've also directed people I wasn't planning on sharing my online stuff with toward it knowing full well that I prefer to keep some things private.

Trust. You're doing it wrong.

K.
Udoshi
Minor nitpick: While this is a very classy kick from your group - you might also want to tell the player to GTFO personally.

In case, you know, he denies having read this too :V
HappyDaze
This isn't classy IMO - it's just dumb. The OP posts it openly in the electronic equivalent of plain sight and then is upset when it gets looked at and when others are told where they can look at it too. If you didn't want it to be seen, then stick to private boards and groups.
Saint Sithney
I got a chuckle out of it.
Gotta wonder if he peppered it with misinfo in case the offending player tries to spoil shit for the other players.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ May 31 2010, 09:08 PM) *
This isn't classy IMO - it's just dumb. The OP posts it openly in the electronic equivalent of plain sight and then is upset when it gets looked at and when others are told where they can look at it too. If you didn't want it to be seen, then stick to private boards and groups.

Au contraire! (that's french for you're wrong) I know at least a couple of my players are aware of dumpshock but their also smart enough to be able to read things like "My players stay out" and other assorted stuff in the sub heading. So yes I think he's perfectly in the right for asking people not to cheat by whatever means, not the method I'd use to deliver the notifcation their gone, but still.
knasser
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 1 2010, 04:08 AM) *

Have you seen my site? I get thousands of downloads of some of the material on there. That's a lot of people who benefit from my sharing my gane stuff online. And I enjoy discussing my game with others here. I ought to be able to do both because I asked my players not to go reading this stuff and they said they didn't. If a player knows it's a violation of trust to go reading something and does it anyway, it really makes no difference whether they're going through my notes whilst I'm out of the room or if they're ferreting them out online. If, as you appear to be saying, you think that opportunity to do something means one is right to do something, then you'd get kicked from my game as well.

As to directing other people to my work, I have people who wouldn't ordinarily come across my stuff online and I like it that way. I don't necessarily want them reading some of my fiction, etc. When someone has been made well aware of that and then deliberately starts pointing others at it as a way of poking me, then they get dropped hard. That's what happens.

K.
HappyDaze
QUOTE (knasser @ Jun 1 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Have you seen my site? I get thousands of downloads of some of the material on there. That's a lot of people who benefit from my sharing my gane stuff online. And I enjoy discussing my game with others here. I ought to be able to do both because I asked my players not to go reading this stuff and they said they didn't. If a player knows it's a violation of trust to go reading something and does it anyway, it really makes no difference whether they're going through my notes whilst I'm out of the room or if they're ferreting them out online. If, as you appear to be saying, you think that opportunity to do something means one is right to do something, then you'd get kicked from my game as well.

As to directing other people to my work, I have people who wouldn't ordinarily come across my stuff online and I like it that way. I don't necessarily want them reading some of my fiction, etc. When someone has been made well aware of that and then deliberately starts pointing others at it as a way of poking me, then they get dropped hard. That's what happens.

K.

I have never seen your site, and I don't really feel the need to do so now. Despite the benefits you describe for sharing your work, perhaps it would be better to wait until after you use an idea in game before revealing it online. Sometimes playing your cards a bit closer offers an advantage when secrecy is your desire.

On the directing thing, if it's your site - then put a password on the sensitive info. If you have a party and open the doors to all comers, then you can't seriously object when someone you'd rather not see there shows up, even if they were given directions by someone else. The internet is as public as you allow it to be, and if your site has material you're not comfortable with anyone seeing, it's up to you to do something about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012