Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wound levels
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fu-Man Chu
A thought just came to me the other day while running a Shadowrun PBEM - has anyone thought about (or rather, discussed) the idea of the TN and init penalties coming into effect at different wound levels? My thoughts sort of ran in this train and I wanted to hear some feedback.

Normally, when the body is damaged, it can compensate for a while. However, at some certain level, it becomes less and less effective at doing so. Some 'real-life' examples are with dehydration, thermoregulation, blood pressure, blood sugar, radiation damage etc.

In that line of reasoning, I was thinking that another way to handle penalties is to have them come on closer and closer together as a character gets damaged - so for instance

+1 TN/-1 init Penalties kick in at 4 damage boxes
+2 TN/-2 init at 7 boxes
+3 TN/-3 init at 9 boxes

So a character can take a four Light wounds, or a Light and a Mod before his body can no longer compensate.

Thoughts?
ShadowPhoenix
Definitely an interesting homerule! sounds fairly realistic, I may consider one of these days running with this idea nyahnyah.gif sounds cool. I myself was thinking about a rule for small/fragile people firing Big Guns. I'll be posting that probably later today, as it is bedtime nyahnyah.gif
Ezra
Seems to me that the canon system already handles one's body not coping with damage. Hence the increasing penalty that exists.

However, I do think you have a valid point in terms of post-trauma effects. What about bringing in a Post-Wound penalty, based on how long the wound is untreated. I speak not of post-wound infection, as an evil GM I already do that, (No-one crawls through an open sewer with a sucking chest wound and walks away clean. smile.gif ), but rather about blood-suger, shock, physical stress etc..

What I would then envisage is an additional penalty coming on after a wound has been left untreated for an extended period of time. (Obviously, this would be null if the character in question had successfully rolled his check to see whether he would heal unaided.) So a serious wound left untreated for more than 8 hours (Or something) would then incur an additional +1 modifier. And this would get worse as the wound is left untreated.

What do you think?
spotlite
What about if someone takes a moderate wound or higher in one hit they also take a box of Stun damage in [boxes of damage taken]Minutes? Its not actually further physical injury so much as it represents shock, the adrenalin crash, etc etc.

Just suggestions for the topic - I don't intend to take any on myself, alhough we do houserule a serious wound or greater in a single hit results in one extra box of damage every ten minutes from blood loss, overflow rules notwithstanding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012