Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: C0u7d u h37p p733z?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Grifter
Okay, so I'm creating a decker character. I've already worked out all the skills and stuff I want, but I really need help on cyberdecks/programs. I'm using the point-building method of character creation, and selected the 30 point, 1,000,000 nuyen resources option. Basically, I need help on getting the most bang for my buck. The intent I'm going for here is the ability to slide past IC and decieve, rather than being all attack programming. Any opinions? Oh, and also, I would like some nuyen left over for some cyberware (alphaware datajack and some other useful things). I was thinking of gpoing the route of having an internal cyberdeck in a cyberarm. The deck that's caught my eye so far is the Transys Highlander.

Help would be appreciated here, guys!
ShadowPhoenix
I'd say make sure your masking and evasion is setup high on your MPCP, get sleaze and deception progs at high ratings. Validate is good so you can get a valid account on a server and not worry as much about detection at that point. don't have my matrix book in with me presently, I'll grab it out of my car on my lunch break and give you more info smile.gif
Grey
Its all about Masking and Sleaze. If you can get an MPCP 8, go for Bod 4, Evasion 6, Masking 8, Sensors 6. Then get yourself a Sleaze 8.

I can't recall if you can have Masking or Sleaze higher than MPCP off the top of my head, but if you can, I'd go for Evasion 5, Sensors 5, and Masking 10 with a Sleaze 10. The higher you get your Detection Factor, the better.
ShadowPhoenix
I had a decker with mask/sleaze peaked on her Renraku Kraftwerk, she was virtually undetectable most of the time. and with good Validate/Deception because 1.) legitimate use is best if possible nyahnyah.gif
2.) if you're caught mucking around, it's always good to throw a curve ball at whatever is trying to do bad things to you biggrin.gif
Shockwave_IIc
You can't have any program or persona attribute highier then your MPCP rating. I believe and though it doesn't say you can alot of people read "the deck modes" rules (the about Persona modes) so that you can exceed your MPCP.
Sidethink
It specifically states that you can exceed your MPCP in my copy of the book.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE ( pg206 SR3)
The MPCP rating is the central value for cyberdecks. The MPCP rating multiplied by 3 equals the maximum total of the decks persona programs. No single persona rating my exceed the MPCP rating, and the maximum value for utility programs is equal to the MPCP

Emphasis obvioussly mine.

But my bad on the deck modes thing, Sidethink is right you can exceed the MPCP when running persona modes.

Side note, same rules apply to Otaku, they don't get any exceptions
The Grifter
Okay, I dig so far. So I should go for a high Masking and sensors rating, and high sleaze and validate programs. But what should I go for as my starting cyberdeck? A higher priced one with mid-level programs, or a low cost deck with high rated programs?
ShadowPhoenix
granted you could go the cheap deck route, but the problem is, is program space/max ratings are based on the kind of deck you have, the higher the mpcp, the higher the max rating of program. if I'm not mistaken you cannot have a program higher in rating than your MPCP rating of your Deck, so a Renraku Kraftwerk-8 can only take a max 8 rating program, whereas an allegiance sigma can only take rating 3 proggies. so I'd say the higher your starting mpcp, the better, and then mod it higher as your program ratings demand nyahnyah.gif
The Grifter
Yah, got that much out of it. So going for a better deck staring out is my best option, I'm guessing.

Would anyone happen to know the rules for an internal cyberdeck off hand? I.E. cost/essence cost?

Oh, and I don't have the rules for Otaku. I know basically what they are, but could someone lend me some insight on their game mechanics?
Kanada Ten
You could just make your own deck using the CCOC. It works good, as far as I can tell.
ShadowPhoenix
don't have my matrix book on hand else I could give you data on Otaku, maybe when I get home. However internal Cyberdecks are messy, there is a multiplier on the cost of the deck, and the essence cost is prohibitive if you're looking for body upgrades later. me, I go for the external deck with a hardened carrying case. Much cheaper both essence and Price wise. I think the rules for Internals are in M&M I'll post it when I get home.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (The Grifter)
Oh, and I don't have the rules for Otaku. I know basically what they are, but could someone lend me some insight on their game mechanics?

Simply put, they are skill and karma intensive much like mages. they have 5 skills (called channels) that mimic all operational utilaties. and there MPCP is work out from there mental attributes.
mfb
otaku, starting out, aren't as handy at actual decking as deckers are; they've got higher skill and a better DF, but channels are no match for the right program at a higher rating. on the other hand, channels handle any and all operations, whereas a decker might find himself without the right program for the job.

where otaku truly excel is at cybercombat. a starting-out decker might have persona programs at rating 6 or so, pretty much max; they can switch them around some by changing modes, but cybercombat calls all your persona programs into play--if you lower one, it's probably going to hurt you at some point. otaku, on the other hand, have rating 7-8 persona progs, and pretty high init, and they can probably start the game with an 8D attack program (a decker will have 6M, or 6S if he's really serious about cybercombat). toss in an armor-8, maybe a lock-on or cloak (or both!) at 6-7, and you're set--after all, otaku don't need to spend their Mp on operational utilities such as Deception; pretty much every complex form they know is related to cybercombat.
The Grifter
Wiz. Thanks for the help so far, chummers.
toturi
QUOTE (mfb)
otaku, starting out, aren't as handy at actual decking as deckers are; they've got higher skill and a better DF, but channels are no match for the right program at a higher rating. on the other hand, channels handle any and all operations, whereas a decker might find himself without the right program for the job.

where otaku truly excel is at cybercombat. a starting-out decker might have persona programs at rating 6 or so, pretty much max; they can switch them around some by changing modes, but cybercombat calls all your persona programs into play--if you lower one, it's probably going to hurt you at some point. otaku, on the other hand, have rating 7-8 persona progs, and pretty high init, and they can probably start the game with an 8D attack program (a decker will have 6M, or 6S if he's really serious about cybercombat). toss in an armor-8, maybe a lock-on or cloak (or both!) at 6-7, and you're set--after all, otaku don't need to spend their Mp on operational utilities such as Deception; pretty much every complex form they know is related to cybercombat.

Channels are rated 6, 5, 4... Therefore an otaku might not have Operational Utilities, a Control 6 channel is as good as a Validate Utility 6.

Moreover, a Technoshaman can reduce TNs by 1 when using their channels.

A Cyberadept can have a complex form Sleaze of 7.

I disagree with mfb on otaku being good at cyber combat. Once they are injured, they are hurt bad. One on one, an otaku may be very good. But a decker can shrug off persona damge better than an otaku. All in all, an otaku is better off using stealth and staying hidden.
Shockwave_IIc
Hear that toturi, granted it might be harder to hurt them, but once hurt those double would penalties start adding up (don't forget you might get unlucky and suffer feed back as well)

But it's the fact that it's hard to hit/ hurt them that make's them hard. Heavy weight boxer with a glass jaw anyone?. Because as pointed out, They CAN throw it out.
The Grifter
Don't Otaku have to be real young, too? Like, teenage?
Kagetenshi
Not to mention that Otaku get a flat +1 to their DF just from being Otaku...

Sample living persona from a starting Otaku I munched once:

MPCP: 9

Bod: 9

Evasion: 9

Masking: 9

Sensor: 9

Reaction: 9+4d6

Hardening: 5

I/O Speed: 900 Mp

Detection Factor: 8

Edit: Grifter, you're right. Otaku start to lose their abilities at... 18? 21? Something like that. Most Otaku I've encountered tend to be between 12 and 16.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
You start losing your abilies from your 21st birthday.

Kage that not munched.
Elf
charisma 10
Int 9 (bonus attribute)
Will 9 Albino
MPCP: 10
Bod:9
Evasion:9
Masking:10
Sensors:9
DF 11 at start (programming 9 Cyberadept)

And thats not even totally munched.

The ones in Greys Misfits games (on here) are age 13 (Mo, Though i started her at 11) and older. Don't know the age of the other 2 Otaku (the fourth ( ED)is a decker)
Kagetenshi
The character I mention above was human, so she had more skills. Also, she was a character pair with a rigger who had a Permanent Satellite Dish in her van. Untraceable and completely mobile, and with 10 points of vehicle armor between her and the world. Damn straight that's munched.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
Ah team munched, thought you was going straight plain old vanilla munched my bad.
Kagetenshi
Team munching is more effective smile.gif

~J
toturi
Otaku human(doesn't need be human though, just that a PC of mine is) joins a pregenerated otaku tribe with High/Luxury Resources. The surrounding area and the jackpoints around the Tribe's HQ are patroled by her brother's gang.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012