Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Infusion (Adept Advanced Metamagic)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanee
Basically what the title says...

Can Infusion (Adept Advanced Centering) be used to raise a power above (Magic) in Rank?

Bye
Thanee
Ancient History
I would say no.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Agreed...

Your abilities are still capped at their maximum rating (Equal to Magic), but it its great when you have a LOT of those Abilities that can increase by Level Purchased...at that point, the Infusion works out quite well... Just don't raise your Magic up too high, or you will be sucking down a lot of drain (Drain equals your Magic Attribute in DV)...

Keep the Faith
Thanee
That's what I thought. I was mostly questioning that, because of...

...the adept gains the capacity to temporarily channel a 0.5 Power Point “boost” that can be used to briefly enhance an existing power beyond its normal range.

Though that can easily be interpreted either way.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Bonus question... does anyone know where the optional rule is located, that Adepts can gain a Power Point instead of a new Metamagic Technique? I just can't find it. smile.gif
Ancient History
It's in the second printing (orange cover) version of Street Magic, Tweaking the Rules bottom of page 31.
Thanee
Aha, then that is why I cannot find it. I have the first printing (have been looking at exactly that table earlier smile.gif).

Thanks! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
Another Infusion question...

Can Infusion only affect powers, that have actual levels, or could it also enhance, say, something like Improved Sense?

Bye
Thanee
Dynamo Dave
Id say its up to your GM. The intent seems to be only powers with levels or ranks associated with it.
Thanee
Seems reasonable enough. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Ranarion
Whats about raising a capped skill? like power throw?
Aerospider
QUOTE (Ranarion @ Jan 12 2011, 12:50 PM) *
Whats about raising a capped skill? like power throw?

I think that falls under the category of 'it doesn't say so, so no'. For example, Improved Ability should still be limited by the standard augmented skill maximum.
Mardrax
Improved Ability caps out at Magic, not the augmented skill maximum.
Just that boosting it to a rank that would take the associated skill over your augmented skill maximum would be useless.
Thanee
It also caps out at half base skill rating, which is the more relevant limit in practice. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Makki
what you want is Free Fall 1, Rapid Healing 1, Great Leap 1, Natural Immunity 1, Temperature Tolerance 1, Iron Lungs 1, (Flexibility 1, very vague)
all the powers you don't need regularly, but are great at some point and drain afterwards isn't a problem. also the shouldn't cost much
pbangarth
I asked about this a long time ago (God knows where the thread is archived) and a Power That Was replied that "beyond its normal range" really means beyond what it is right now, and that it could not go beyond the limit set by an Attribute such as Magic.

So, in the case of Enhanced Perception and Combat Sense, for example, say you have Magic 5, INT 4 and Enhanced Perception (2), Combat Sense (2). You could raise the Enhanced Perception power to (4) but not beyond because of the INT 4, and raise Combat Sense to (5) but not beyond because of the Magic 5.

Capped powers such as Power Throw don't exist beyond (3), so you can't go beyond that limit, either.
Thanee
Makes sense. That's also pretty much what I thought, but you never know. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Udoshi
For infusion, you guys may want to check out Infusion Foci in digital grimoire.

They're handy, because it lets you use Infusion to gain access to adept powers you don't have, and also burn out the foci instead of your own magic rating.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Jan 12 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Improved Ability caps out at Magic, not the augmented skill maximum.
Just that boosting it to a rank that would take the associated skill over your augmented skill maximum would be useless.

I wasn't clear enough, but yes that's what I meant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012