Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession spirits and flight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mantis
I was glancing through spirits and saw that a few have Flight listed for movement. So then I was wondering, does this move over to possession spirits as well? wobble.gif Does a possession based Fire Spirit for example, enable his host to fly? Street Magic says the spirit retains all its powers when possessing but does this include movement like flight? Is a possessed magician a flying, burning man ala the Human Torch? eek.gif Too munchy? Not munchy enough? nyahnyah.gif
merashin
no, i can't remember the line, but i remember when i thought that i ended up finding a line in street magic that says that possession spirits use the movement modes of whatever they are inhabiting.
merashin
whoops, double post
Mantis
I checked SM. Couldn't find any reference to that in either the Possession sidebar or the Vessels section. Do you know a page number or even section that says this isn't the way it works? My gut is to say no but on the other hand Drakes can fly and so can Pixies.
Dynamo Dave
I do not remember the exact area its listed but the rules do mention it somewhere. I recall it being somewhere awkward. Possession spirits are trapped by their physical shells as far as movement is concerned. Only vessels capable of flying can fly.
merashin
page 86 under vessel preperation "a spirit possessing or inhabiting a vessel can do anything the
vessel can do normally. A car vessel can drive and play the radio, a toaster can make toast, and a dead body without legs can pull
itself along by its arms. By the same token, a gun or magic lamp
cannot move by itself. "
Mantis
Ok thanks. I looked at that and didn't see anything about living vessels there so wasn't sure. I suppose a possession magician that wanted to fly could just grab the levitate spell instead. You know I think that part would be clearer without the examples.
Falconer
Merashin:
The play the radio part is questionable. It also goes into, a spirit cannot interact w/ computerized systems or DNI controlled implants. For example. the spirit would be unable to use the vehicles sensor systems or look through it's cameras... (where does any spirit have it's sensory organs).

So while possessing a '57 chevy... the spirit could possessing spirit could press the buttons and turn the dial... in some of the newer cars... if the radio is a virtual display controlled via AR or touchscreen... the spirit wouldn't be able to handle it.

A spirit for example... would be very questionable with flying an aircraft with unstable structural agility which requires the computer to fly it to keep it pointed in the right direction... but it would have no problem whatsoever w/ a vehicle with manual control override only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012