Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physical spells from astral
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nefacio
So in order for a magician to interact with the physical plane while astrally projected has to manifest.

Can he cast physical spells in this way?

Sorry if the question is easy, I havent been played in a while and I didnt get the info from the BBB.
brennanhawkwood
QUOTE (Nefacio @ Jun 5 2010, 07:36 PM) *
So in order for a magician to interact with the physical plane while astrally projected has to manifest.

Can he cast physical spells in this way?

Sorry if the question is easy, I havent been played in a while and I didnt get the info from the BBB.

IIRC, no. When 'manifesting' the mage is still an Astral entity. They have only made themselves visible on the physical plane. As such, they still cannot target a spell against anything that doesn't have an active astral presence. And just to be sure, 'interact with the physical plane' should mean they can be seen (and maybe heard) but they aren't able to touch things or move items around.
Traul
Just to make sure: he may not cast a mana spell on a purely physical target either. Only mana spells on astral targets are allowed.
Hopsnbaer
QUOTE (Traul @ Jun 5 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Just to make sure: he may not cast a mana spell on a purely physical target either. Only mana spells on astral targets are allowed.

Don't for forget that even though some spells have Mana in the title they are physical spells, like Manabolt.

If I am mistaken please show page and book

Thx
Cube
QUOTE (Hopsnbaer @ Jun 5 2010, 08:42 PM) *
Don't for forget that even though some spells have Mana in the title they are physical spells, like Manabolt.

If I am mistaken please show page and book

Thx

It's actually in the spell description.

Manabolt can only affect living or astral targets. Powerbolt affects Physical Targets, but has no effect on the Astral Plane because it channels physical energy.

Manabolt: Attacks the Life Force

Powerbolt: Attacks the Physical Form.
Hopsnbaer
QUOTE (Cube @ Jun 5 2010, 09:51 PM) *
It's actually in the spell description.

Manabolt can only affect living or astral targets. Powerbolt affects Physical Targets, but has no effect on the Astral Plane because it channels physical energy.

Manabolt: Attacks the Life Force

Powerbolt: Attacks the Physical Form.

I read the post wrong.

Thought he was saying you could not cast a mana spell on a person, but he was saying a purely physical target, like a door.
Medicineman
While Astral you can A) cast only Manaspells and B) target only astral Beings (or dual Beings)
and even if the Mage Manifests,he's still Astral (he can only be perceived by and communicate with Mundanes)
and a Manabolt is no Physical Spell !
(Manabolt:German SR4A BBB Pg 244 )

Hough !
Medicineman
Traul
QUOTE (Hopsnbaer @ Jun 6 2010, 04:03 AM) *
I read the post wrong.

Thought he was saying you could not cast a mana spell on a person, but he was saying a purely physical target, like a door.

No, you read it right. It is not about the target being alive or not, it is about being active in the astral. While projecting, you may target another projecting or assensing mage with a manabolt, but not a samy.

Even if mundane live beings project an aura in the astral, they only exist in the physical plane.
Hopsnbaer
yes while projecting I agree
Dynamo Dave
Its like this.

If youre mundane and/or not using astral perception or projection, you can cast all the physical and mana spells you like as long as your opponents are also on the physical plane.

If youre astrally projecting, you can only cast mana spells, and only against targets that are also astrally projecting, dual-natured, astrally perceiving, or otherwise active on the astral plane. Mundanes, even those with strong auras, are completely immune to anything you can do to them.

If youre dual-natured or astrally perceiving, you can do either of the above, though you have to spend an action to shift your focus from one plane to the other to gain the respective benefits, but you are also vulnerable to both planes even if your focus is shifted to another one at the time.
Nefacio
OK thank all for answering. Though you all confuse me more nyahnyah.gif

I was almost sure you CANT, but I want it to verify it.

Now just to make it sure... While astrally projected but manifesting, you can target a living target with a mana spell, but not a physical. Is this correct?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Nefacio @ Jun 6 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Now just to make it sure... While astrally projected but manifesting, you can target a living target with a mana spell, but not a physical. Is this correct?

Only if that living target is an astral form on the astral.
Nefacio
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jun 6 2010, 10:13 PM) *

A randome dude would be ? what other things but an object may not?
Cube
I think an example of this would be in the preface to the Chemistry section of Arsenal (P.68)

The Narrator is Astrally Projecting with a Mageblade in hand.

I'm not familiar with how a Mageblade works, but I'd assume they function in a manner similar to the Mana line of combat spells. (Namely, they channel destructive magical energy into a target.)

In the preface, the target (A mundane doctor) could only be attacked after being slipped some Shade. When he began Astrally projecting, the narrator could attack his spirit and take him out with ease.

If the Mageblade (or Mana Spells) worked on physical targets, then there would be nothing stopping him from simply geeking the doctor at any time.

Think of it from a balance point of view. Most people can't perceive the Astral Plane, so a projecting mage can float around mostly undetected. If a projecting mage could also cast spells that affected the physical plane, imagine how broken that would be.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Nefacio @ Jun 6 2010, 10:08 PM) *
A randome dude would
A random dude would not have an astral form. His presence on the physical plane casts a shadow on the astral, the aura, but auras are not targetable.

what other things but an object may not?
Things that have astral forms on the astral plane include:
Spirits on the Astral
Dual natured beings (including mages using astral perception, and also cyberzombies)
Activated Foci
Mana Barriers in the Astral Plane
KarmaInferno
Things that have an active presence on the astral will ALWAYS state in the rules that they specifically are.

Most things do NOT. They might have an astral shadow, but they are not actively present in the Astral Plane.

Inversely, a manifesting astral projecting magician is merely a shadow in the physical plane. A hologram, if you will. He's not actively on the Physical plane.

Medicineman
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Jun 6 2010, 08:13 PM) *

No
Sorry ,but thats wrong.
Living beings have an Aura, but that can't be targeted from the Astral
Only Astral Forms (astral Mages,Spirits, dual Beings)
A Mundane is perfectly safe from Astral Influence (even a Mage whos not astrally gazing)
Don't Mix Aura (living beings) with Astral Form smile.gif

with a mixed Dance
Medicineman
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Nefacio @ Jun 6 2010, 07:10 PM) *
OK thank all for answering. Though you all confuse me more nyahnyah.gif

I was almost sure you CANT, but I want it to verify it.

The Caster is

Physical - May cast mana or physical spells on the physical plane. May not cast on anything in the astral plane.

Dual Nature(Physical and astrally perceiving) - May cast on Physical or Astral Plane. Use penalties for plane the spell is cast on

Astrally Projecting - May only cast on astral plane.

Manifesting (Astral form projecting a psychic presence into the physical world) - May only cast on astral plane.

Materialized (Astral Spirits with spell powers become physical) - May cast on physical plane. Typically spirits that do this are also dual natured and could choose to cast on the astral plane.

Spells do not cross planes when cast. Spells are cast on the plane the caster is active on. The caster is vulnerable to spells and is a viable target on any plane they can also cast on.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jun 7 2010, 01:33 AM) *
No
Sorry ,but thats wrong.

So, you tell me I'm wrong, then proceed to say the same thing that I do, that only things with astral forms can be targeted from the astral. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong, don't agree with me in the next sentence.
Medicineman
Ahhh,OK I See.... I Misunderstood what you've been posting embarrassed.gif

Hough !
Medicineman
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012