Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisibility, what the point of using more than 1 Power ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
IKerensky
I double-checked the spell description, and except for extra-drain I failed to see any advantage of raising the Power of an Invisibility Extended spell... did I miss something ?

Also, I fail to find it during game, did you have to resist your own spells ?
Ramorta
A force 1 invisibility spell is signifigantly easier to resist then a higher force version. Considering invisibility is pretty much an all or nothing thing, you want to put a little more effort into not having it resisted.
Adarael
To clarify what Ramorta means: you can only ever get as many hits on your spellcasting roll as the force of the spell, unless you spend edge. As such, you can only ever get 1 hit on a Force 1 invisibility spell. As such, defenders only need to roll 1 hit to resist it.
Bull
1) Yes, each spell has a Drain value, and you always have to resist the drain from spells you cast.

2) Invisibility is an illusion spell. You're not really invisible, you're just making other people (and cameras/sensors, if you're using the Phsyical version of the spell) think that that can't see you. As such, they get to resist the illusion. They have to get more hits on their resistance test than you got on your spellcasting test.

3) This is the important one. The number of hits you can get on a spellcasting test is capped by the force of the spell. So if you only cast at Force 1, you only count 1 hit, regardless of how many 5+'s you roll. Which means it's easy for others to resist and see through your Invisibility.

There are a few spells that hits don't really factor in too heavily, or spells where there comes a point where extra hits won't do anything more. Generally these are over in the Health spells category (Improved Initiative has a threshhold you have to meet to get certain Initiative Pass bonuses. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think the Threshold caps at 4 or 5 hits for the +3 IPs)

But, for the most part, force effects something about a spell: Damage, Resistance, or something.

Bull
JakeMilo
The force of the spell limits the hits on the spellcasting test. Invisibilty acts as a threshold for someone to see you.

In your example:

You could get 1 sucess when you cast the spell sue to the spell being force 1. The guard now has a threshold of 1 to spot you. Which isn't much

"A spell’s Force limits the number of hits (not net hits) that can be
achieved on the Spellcasting Test."

and

"Anyone who might perceive the subject must first successfully
resist the spell. Simply make one Spellcasting Test and use the hits
scored as the threshold for anyone that resists at a later point"

Refers.
IKerensky
Thanks for the answers, I understand now that what I miss was the limitation on success.

Thanks again all.
PatB
One other thing: The Improved Invisibility spell allows you to stay hidden from cameras and other tech toys, but for this you need to overcome the Threshold of 3, meaning that you need at least 3 hits, meaning the spell must be of at least Force 3.
Orcus Blackweather
As another point, there is really no point in casting Invisibility below 3 (unless your magic rating is too low to cast it). Drain is Force/2. Since you round down, and drain can never be less than 1, 3/2 = 1, 1/2 =1, and 2/2 =1.
Hand-E-Food
QUOTE (PatB @ Jun 7 2010, 10:46 PM) *
One other thing: The Improved Invisibility spell allows you to stay hidden from cameras and other tech toys, but for this you need to overcome the Threshold of 3, meaning that you need at least 3 hits, meaning the spell must be of at least Force 3.

Where's the rule that you need to overcome a Threshold of 3 when invisible vs. cameras?

Speaking of which, does Invisibility (rather than Improved Invisibility) hide you from cybereyes?
Orcus Blackweather
Cybereyes are paid for with essence, and are thus considered to be flesh rather than machine for mana spells.

As for thresholds, objects do not roll a resistance (unless it is damage resistance from elemental spells). Instead they have an object resistance. The gm assigns the difficulty based upon the quality and material type of the object. If the GM decided to, the OR could be significantly higher than 3.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Orcus Blackweather @ Jun 7 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Cybereyes are paid for with essence, and are thus considered to be flesh rather than machine for mana spells.

As for thresholds, objects do not roll a resistance (unless it is damage resistance from elemental spells). Instead they have an object resistance. The gm assigns the difficulty based upon the quality and material type of the object. If the GM decided to, the OR could be significantly higher than 3.

But, in general, the OR of Cameras is 3...

Keep the Faith
Orcus Blackweather
But, in general, the OR of Cameras is 3...

Keep the Faith

Heh! not in our game! All 4's or 5's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012