Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral Bacteria
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bodak
Since the Awakening caused heaps of organisms to become Magical, and there are FAB that are astral, there are likely other bacteria that are DN too. Since on a pinhead there are literally thousands of bacteria, and in the air around us there are millions of bacteria, and these things reproduce and mutate at an astounding rate, there is a high probability of any given bit of air containing hundreds of DN bacteria. As an astral form passes through this space it would sweep them aside, causing a visible Swoosh effect similar to an invisible person walking through dusty air or on dusty ground.

Discuss
Cedric
Perhaps realistically you are right...but I don't want so much realism in my games that it stops being a game.
Herald of Verjigorm
Seeing as an astral critter can drift through you and you only get one test against a high TN to notice, no. Astral activity is apparent in FAB because of the F, flourescent. It glows, it doesn't drag.
Kanada Ten
I doubt that "evolution" would create many dual-natured bacteria, because it offers little advantage to normal bacteria. Only bacteria that somehow used mana would evolve into dual-natured. Thus, the need for genetically enhanced bacteria to fulfill the role. Additionally, I surmise that dual natured creatures would require a slight elevation in energy usage, therefore reducing the number of dual natured bacterial species.

Also a natural astral form, such as a corpse-light that only ate bacteria, would quickly eliminate all but the most tenacious dual bacteria. Sort of like an astral whale. So in some ecosystems we may see such developments, but in the sterilized & poisoned world of 2060s cities only the most efficient bacteria will survive.

Perhaps after SURGE...
DigitalMage
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Seeing as an astral critter can drift through you and you only get one test against a high TN to notice, no. Astral activity is apparent in FAB because of the F, flourescent. It glows, it doesn't drag.

And remember FAB Strain I only glows under UV light, so no UV light, no glow!
DigitalMage
Also, FAB Strain I is not dual natured, it is just very sensitive to an astral aura passing through it.
Frag-o Delux
Since dual natured animals shed too would there sheddings be seen in the astral world or would its dual naturedness fade because the shedding are no longer living? If it remains dual natured how hard would it be to say track a hellhound following it sheddings? I am of the opinion that its shedding stay astrally active hence dragon clippings and such being used in spell and foci formulas but the level of astrall activity would be so low it would take a great perception test to see it.
kevyn668
If it remains dual natured how hard would it be to say track a hellhound following it sheddings?

It'd probably be as hard to track a dog in RL by following its sheddings. smile.gif
Frag-o Delux
Which can be done by professional game trackers, finding hair and other things.
kevyn668
fair enough. wink.gif

So are you suggesting there could be an Awakened Professional Game Hunter? Some sort of detective/mage or dectective/adept, maybe? He/she could probably make big nuyen.gif leading rich folk on a "hunt" for some nasty awakened beastie...or some nasty awakened PCs (assuming that hair from dual natureds stays active on the astral and PC in question was dual)

On the other hand, it might be intersting to play a PC Hunter like that....
hobgoblin
personaly i would find it easyer to track the beast by other means (say useing the shedding as a connection in a ritual)...

as for those FABs, from what i know they are lab creations, probably hardend on the physical side by genetic engineering and only living of nutrient (unless we are talking FAB3 as that stuff feed of mana!). the glow in the dark ones (more or less, UV is like those blacklight lamps that have at some places) come in a nutrient solution in a spraycan and will die after being used. the one in the wall needs nutrients filled now and then and i belive it dies easy when removed from its controled enviroment. only the FAB3 is able to survive in the wild...
Orgone Accumulator
QUOTE (DigitalMage)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Aug 22 2003, 08:14 AM)
Seeing as an astral critter can drift through you and you only get one test against a high TN to notice, no.  Astral activity is apparent in FAB because of the F, flourescent.  It glows, it doesn't drag.

And remember FAB Strain I only glows under UV light, so no UV light, no glow!

So, since it likewise is called fluorescent, wouldn't strains II and III likewise glow under UV light?
Cain
So, since it likewise is called fluorescent, wouldn't strains II and III likewise glow under UV light?

Strain 1 and 2, yes. Strain 3 was an accident.

Remember, FAB 2 was designed to be astrally over-active, to have the effect it does. Normal dual-natured bacteria simply wouldn't do the trick, which is why FAB had to be specially developed and cultured.
Orgone Accumulator
I understand that, but what I'm wondering is if there might be some way to differentiate FAB-III from background count beyond a Magic roll. If the other forms show up under UV, does FAB-III?
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
personaly i would find it easyer to track the beast by other means (say useing the shedding as a connection in a ritual)...

I am just wondering if it could be done. I am contemplating a Bounty Hunter character and I am just thinking of ways to track a bounty among the other useful ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012