Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stacking Discounts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
I'm building a character with Black Market Pipeline - Wares, Genecrafted, and Genetic Heritage. Black Market Pipleine reduces the cost of the relavent category of items by 10% (assume geneware is included). Genecrafted reduces the cost of genetic enhancements by 20%, and Genetic Heritage reduces the cost of transgenic enhancements by 20%. How should I figure the cost of transgenic and non-transgenic genetic enhancements?
Abstruse
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 11:01 AM) *
I'm building a character with Black Market Pipeline - Wares, Genecrafted, and Genetic Heritage. Black Market Pipleine reduces the cost of the relavent category of items by 10% (assume geneware is included). Genecrafted reduces the cost of genetic enhancements by 20%, and Genetic Heritage reduces the cost of transgenic enhancements by 20%. How should I figure the cost of transgenic and non-transgenic genetic enhancements?

I can't say the rules back it up, but as a GM, I wouldn't allow those to stack. It just seems to me like a cheap trick to get at least 42.4% and at most 50% off geneware. I'd also say that Genecrafted and Genetic Heritage are incompatible because the genecrafting would remove the genetic heritage by "homogenizing" your genetics in the womb. Like I said, I have no rules to quote that's correct, but that's how I'd rule it in my game, and I typically encourage powergaming/min-maxing.
Tyro
By my reading, genetic heritage is the result of inheriting persistant genemods from a parent, while genecrafted involves genetic modifications, not a total genetic rewrite. I wouldn't consider those incompatible.
Deadmannumberone
I'd rule it that Genecrafted gives the discount on any genetic modifications at birth, Genetic Heritage gives the discount on transgenic modifications post post birth, and Black Market Pipeline gives discounts on one type of wares, and if genetic modifications is chosen, then it stacks with Genetic Heritage, allowing a 30% discount on transgenic modifications and 10% discount on non-transgenic modifications, however it only applies to post chargen purchases.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 11:18 AM) *
By my reading, genetic heritage is the result of inheriting persistant genemods from a parent, while genecrafted involves genetic modifications, not a total genetic rewrite. I wouldn't consider those incompatible.

Like I said, that would be my ruling as GM, both in-game and out of game reasons. I MIGHT let the Black Market Pipeline stack with one of them, but not both. I'm sure if I did the math (figuring out those percentages were about the max of my abilities), I'd be able to tell you whether or not the BP costs of the feats unbalances vs. the save in nuyen (my guess is you're probably better off just paying full price). And like I said, I don't have any rules to quote you to tell you that you can't do it by canon rules, just common sense and the "default rule" in most games (including the previous editions of SR) -- unless it says specifically it stacks, it doesn't.
Manunancy
Transgenic and genetic mods are basically two differents words for the same. What matters here is when the mods are done :

- genetic heritage : gives one free mod, every other genemod is 20% cheaper as your genome is tinkering-fridenly
- genecrafted : it reduces the cose for the mods purchased at creation by 20% (cumulative with the 20% discount from genetic heritage). Or more accurately the mods mom and dad (usually, it could be a third party acting with or without their knowledge, opening plenty of interesting possibilities) payed to have fitted into you before you were born. Anything purchased after birth will have only the 20% discount from genetic heritage

Black market pipeline only affects what's bought during play - if it affected prices during creation one can suppose it would have been mentioned.

And don't forget that both genetic heritage and genecrafted will be of no use for getting cutting-edge geneware : when the character was born, htat sorf of stuff was barely a topic of conversation amongst scientist. They apply only to 2050 vintage mods, 2060 if your were fitted with experimental stuff. It's not told in the rules, but it's common sense.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jun 9 2010, 11:32 AM) *
And don't forget that both genetic heritage and genecrafted will be of no use for getting cutting-edge geneware : when the character was born, htat sorf of stuff was barely a topic of conversation amongst scientist. They apply only to 2050 vintage mods, 2060 if your were fitted with experimental stuff. It's not told in the rules, but it's common sense.

And, at least IMO, the genemods available before 2060 or so are worthless...not worth the effort to shave some cash off them.
Tyro
The character in question is only 15 years old; I think everything short of genetic infusions, nanotech and adapsin were available circa 2065.

What I'm really asking is, ASSUMING they stack, would it be base cost minus the sum total of the percentage discounts or each percentage discount applied separately to the base cost?

For example:
45000 * 0.7?
Or 45000 - ([45000 * .2] + (45000 * .1])?
Abstruse
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 12:20 PM) *
The character in question is only 15 years old; I think everything short of genetic infusions, nanotech and adapsin were available circa 2065.

Nanotech was before then. It was definitely in Cybertechnology and I think it got some mentions even as far back as Shadowtech.
Tyro
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 9 2010, 11:37 AM) *
Nanotech was before then. It was definitely in Cybertechnology and I think it got some mentions even as far back as Shadowtech.

My point exactly.
Mäx
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Jun 9 2010, 07:32 PM) *
Transgenic and genetic mods are basically two differents words for the same.

Nope, transgenics is a specific sub-category of geneware.
Catadmin
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 01:20 PM) *
What I'm really asking is, ASSUMING they stack, would it be base cost minus the sum total of the percentage discounts or each percentage discount applied separately to the base cost?

For example:
45000 * 0.7?

The later. Think about how business works these days. Barnes & Noble has a book with a 20% New Bestseller discount. They remove that discount and then apply your membership card of 10% to the total after the 20% has been removed. So you're not getting a true 30% discount, even if they advertise it as such.

I'd think the businesses in SR would run the same way. Discounts applied to individual products and then the totals of those individual products added together.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 11:20 AM) *

If he's 15 now, he would have been born in 2057, not 2065.

QUOTE (Tyro @ Jun 9 2010, 11:20 AM) *

For example:
45000 * 0.7?

You made a small math error, as both of those equal the same amount.

Correct examples:
45000 * 0.7
Or
45000 * 0.8 * 0.9

The first one is RAW, however it is up to your GM as to which one to use.
Tyro
At least you knew what I meant. I have a serious mental block when it comes to math frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012