Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn of the Artifacts questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ghremdal
Continued from this thread to avoid necromancy.

[ Spoiler ]
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Ghremdal @ Jun 11 2010, 08:18 AM) *
Continued from this thread to avoid necromancy.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Method
[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jun 11 2010, 09:08 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

This is functionally not accurate, all Frosty is there for is to be a GMNPC/babysitter. THey've just gone the extra step now that in last adventure that she was shown to be "more powerfull then you could ever hope to be" of coming up with a reason to have her be depowered, which now you have to split forces and protect her in Midnight (or at least you'd be wise to).

There's nothing about either module that requires Frosty, there's nothing about Midnight that Frosty does in person that couldn't be better accomplished by an offsite NPC with a sat phone.
Tiger Eyes
The entire reason Frosty was included had to do with the overall plan for the Artifacts series - which originally included a tie-in trilogy of novels featuring Frosty and the runner team (I won't go into the plot too deeply here - let's say there were a lot of revisions and some horrendous ideas but Peter had it pretty well hammered out before Loren pulled the plug on it for various reasons - including wanting to blow Tir Na nOg up which Peter just wouldn't allow). Frosty's point in the adventures were to get players working with one of the main characters in the novels and to have an impact on course of events in the novel. Therefore, it was necessary to have Frosty in the adventures working directly with the runners.

Had the novels not been designed and plotted out before writing commenced on the first two adventures, Frosty would've stayed a Ms. Johnson (or potentially left out altogether - my first proposal had Elijah being the Mr. Johnson) and that would have likely been the end of it. Unfortunately both the first adventures were written before the whole novel debacle exploded, so we're left making lemonade out of lemons. I think the plot reasons developed primarily by Ancient History, Bishop McQ, and myself in the final campaign book would have tied it in nicely. The last two adventures, as written, have far less involvement of Frosty since they were written after the full plot was derailed.

Anyway. Yes, in the first and subsequent adventures, you can leave Frosty out - but you will need a PC or NPC magician. The adventures were designed for a team with magical support.

LurkerOutThere
Which to be honest is every single Shadowrunning team I've ever played with or ran for.
Prime Mover
Oh how much I'd pay to have an open subscription to a flyspy drone during some of these "meetings".
Method
No kidding. Blow up Tir-na-Og? Good thing Peter was there to stop that. Of course, Peter isn't there anymore... frown.gif
Demonseed Elite
My memory is fuzzy on the specifics (it has been a few years), but I remember when the whole Artifacts adventures line was being proposed. And some of the absurd ideas that were being attached to it (apparently from management) made me stay as far away as I could from it. I didn't want to touch the thing for fear it would come out horrible. Jen and Bobby were braver than I for even going near it. Fortunately, many of those lame suggestions imploded (I guess with the end of the novels idea and Peter's intervention) and so the end product was manageable.
Ghremdal
Thanks for the responses.

Another slight problem I have is with the auction for the map. Namely why should the PCs accept of the auction price for the retrieval of the map? Especially since they know their Johnson has offered 1 million nuyen for it. It offers a very real possibility for the steal the map, screw their Johnson and sell the map to the next highest bidder.

Since I won't include Frosty, the solution I came up with is that their Johnson flies in for the auction. He has the PCs waiting in the garage, while he is at the auction. When he loses he can call the PCs and offer them the 200k if they intercept and secure the map.

Do you think that is a smart way to handle it?
LurkerOutThere
[ Spoiler ]
sabs
I would never take a run that potentially brings my notice to a Great Dragon as anything but a 1000+ karma character.
And even then, I probably wouldn't do it. Unless my character was dumb, or psychotic in some way.
Ghremdal
So my modified adventure is going to go like this:

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012