Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are you Goth?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Dumori
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 14 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Probably. It seems Scientology isn't a satisfying target anymore.

I think this outdates that by a fair chunk.
Abigale
1. Frequently wears black clothing.
4. Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. Some of these include: reversed crosses, pentagrams, pentacles, ankhs or various other Satanic worshipping symbols.
5. Shows an interest in piercings or tattoos.
6. Listens to gothic or any other anti-social genres of music. (Marilyn Manson claims to be the anti-Christ, and publicly speaks against the Lord. Please discard any such albums IMMEDIATELY.)
7. Associates with other people that dress, act or speak eccentrically.
8. Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports.
9. Shows an increasing interest in death, vampires, magic, the occult, witchcraft or anything else that involves Satan.
11. Drinks alcohol.
14. Complains of boredom.
15. Sleeps too excessively or too little.
16. Is excessively awake during the night.
18. Demands an unusual amount of privacy.
19. Spends large amounts of time alone.
20. Requests time alone and quietness. (This is so that your child may speak to evil sprits through meditation.)
21. Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult.
22. Disregards authority figures; teachers, priests, nuns and elders are but a few examples of this.
28. Plays videos games that contains violence or are of a role-playing nature.
29. Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer.
31. Dances to music in a provocative or sexual manner.
32. Expresses an interest in sex.
33. Masturbates
35. Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism.

Clearly, I am well on the way to Hell and my soul is irredeemable. Might as well leave me alone, then. Wait...that's another one isn't it; wanting to be alone?
Tachi
QUOTE (Emeraldknite @ Jun 12 2010, 06:31 PM) *
No...Definately not. This is actually a bit tame for the right wingers. Some of who protest funerals of homosexuals that have died weilding signs that read 'You see, we told you God hates Gays'

I could go on for days about what they do here but the moderator is right. It may be construed as bashing. And I would never bash some one for their right of free speech. I fought for my country to uphold those tenets. And I'll stand up for your right.

QUOTE (Method @ Jun 12 2010, 06:56 PM) *
The "right wingers" you are referring to are Fred Phelps and his followers, the Westboro Baptist Church. I wouldn't say they exemplify mainstream Christians or conservatives. I would also argue that one's right to free speech does not entitle you to disrupt private funerals, or sue the parents of the deceased, but thats the topic of another debate all together.

First off, I'm a "right winger", an athiest, and guilty of 27 things on that list. You all can use you imaginations on which ones.

Second, my Baptist, bible thumping, "left winger" grandmother (who hates me) would totally agree with everything on that list being "bad". Her response when she found out I had tattoos, "Well, at least it will be easier for the police to identify his body when it washes up." Yeah, thanks grandma, you bitch.

Third, I met Fred Phelps once, he was in Colorado Springs to protest at a Planned Parenthood clinic on west Cimmaron near Old Colorado City (he also does gay and military funerals). His group had reservations to stay at the hotel where I was working. I recognised the name and town on his reservation from a conversation I'd had with a military friend of mine concerning different "peace" groups harassing military funerals. I told the hotel's owner (a retired USMC sniper recon instructor) who Phelps was and that his reservation wasn't prepaid, he told me to cancel it and to tell Phelps when he and his retardo/lackeys showed up that we (the hotel) reserved the right to refuse service to anyone. Phelps wasn't happy. Later that day I went to a friends house across the street and around the corner (about 100 feet away and in full view of the whackos) from the clinic they were protesting. Phelps saw me. He started yelling in his bullhorn about how I was the unrepentant sinner who had refused them lodging and some of them started moving in my direction. At which point my friend (his house) came out his front door with a shotgun and stood on his porch while his wife called the cops. The protesters stopped at the curb and yelled BS at us until the cops showed up, unfortunately, they were still on public property and the cops couldn't do anything but stand around and make sure they behaved themselves for a while and eventually had to leave to do real police work. When I left, a few of the braver ones came up to me and started screaming in my face. One started poking me in the chest to punctuate his "points." I grabbed his fingers and used them as leverage to take him to the ground, breaking his index and middle fingers in the process. My friend used the threat of his shotgun to keep the others off of me while I held him down until the cops arrived. And, after almost arresting me, decided to arrest him instead. I pressed charges for Battery and testified in court, it was fun. All in all, I rather enjoyed that day. I hadn't had that much free entertainment in a long time.

And, for the record, every group has it's whackjobs, just look at the G20 protests, or Congress for that matter.
nezumi
QUOTE (Tachi @ Jul 1 2010, 02:21 AM) *
And, for the record, every group has it's whackjobs ... Congress for that matter.

The question is, do all groups have their sensible, ethical moderates?
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 1 2010, 08:38 AM) *

Sometimes I'm not sure those exist in ANY group...
Tachi
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 1 2010, 06:38 AM) *

I wouldn't count on it.
Demonic357
QUOTE (Railgun @ Jun 12 2010, 04:36 PM) *
No no no, Count Dracula cereal is when you use your own blood instead of milk. Its far more gothy....

Absolutely genius rotfl.gif

And Tachi, as prior service (Army Infantryman) I give you a hearty salute. Beer is on me if you ever make it up to Maine.
MortVent
Tachi: an easy way to get them is to find out when and where they plan to set up... get a local buisness to set up a concession stand. Some cities and states have ordances that count such as a buisness in regards to distances, if it was there first...

Tachi
QUOTE (Demonic357 @ Jul 10 2010, 03:56 PM) *
And Tachi, as prior service (Army Infantryman) I give you a hearty salute. Beer is on me if you ever make it up to Maine.

biggrin.gif Thanks, oh, and ahh, hooray for the good guys.

QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 10 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Tachi: an easy way to get them is to find out when and where they plan to set up... get a local buisness to set up a concession stand. Some cities and states have ordances that count such as a buisness in regards to distances, if it was there first...

Thanks. I may have to keep that info in mind for sharing with some people I know the next time I'm in ColoSpgs. I'm always up for making life miserable for people like Phelps. You might almost call it a hobby of mine. cool.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Emeraldknite @ Jun 12 2010, 07:31 PM) *
No...Definately not. This is actually a bit tame for the right wingers. Some of who protest funerals of homosexuals that have died weilding signs that read 'You see, we told you God hates Gays'

The group you're referring to is to "right wingers" as the radical New Black Panther leader (the one video taped standing on a street corner with a bullhorn, demanding that "to be free, brothahs gotta kill white people, gotta kill white babies!") is to "left wingers." Judging either political group by the completely radical, out there, insane, extremists does both the politically minded people you're talking about and yourself a disservice.

The Westboro Baptist Church group -- a group populated primarily by Phelps' family, and lawyers -- doesn't protest merely the funerals of homosexuals, you see. You're woefully behind the times with your half-legible indignation. They've taken, in the last several years, to protesting at the funerals of fallen servicemen and servicewomen, standing there at the grave of dead soldiers with their signs stating "God hates fags," and "God bless dead soldiers."

The thing to understand about the Westboro Baptist Church -- and please, do understand this -- is that they aren't really a church. They're a trick that Phelps is playing on the rest of the world, masquerading as a church. They're a cult, yes, and Phelps meanwhile gets all the benefits of being a cult leader; a sense of power, authority over others, to soak in charisma and influence and attention, yes, yes...but more importantly, look at their membership rosters, look at how many of them are lawyers, and look at the tactics they use. They are "shock and awe," in the classic sense. They are a group that exists -- almost like Paris Hilton -- solely to profit by drawing attention to themselves. By shocking and horrifying the American public, by saying obscene and preposterous things, by printing disgusting signs and having their children hold those signs, by spitting (proverbially) in the faces of the grieving families who've lost American servicemen...what are they out to do?

Do you really, really, think this lawyer-heavy group is out to spread the word of a loving God, by claiming that every dead soldier is God's retribution for America being too soft on homosexuals? Really? You buy that?

Or do you think maybe, just maybe, that this group is a scam? A shocking force, out to insult as many Americans as possible in as little time as possible, and then -- full of lawyers as they are -- ready and waiting to pounce? Because the truth is they're a cult of personality, yes, but they're also a group of sharks that are quick, quick, quick, to sue anyone and everyone they can for First Amendment breaches. Anyone that tries to silence them, anyone that tries to ban them from funerals, anyone that -- and watch the news for this, because it's just a matter of time -- anyone that confronts them physically over their insults and slander...these guys are going to smell blood in the water, and the Phelps family will retire in style over the checks they get.

By taking the Westboro Baptist Church at face value, just like by taking this obviously ridiculous OP at face value, and by attributing the stance of these farcical, ridiculous, things to "right wingers, DURP DURP DURP they're all like that," you say more about yourself than you do those who hold different political views than you.

Not a single real Conservative that I know would stand in the street outside a dead Marine's funeral with signs that say "God Killed Your Sons," "Pray For More Dead Soldiers," and "Thank God for 9/11." And I know more than my share of Conservatives and other "right wingers," trust me.
Fabe
It should also be noted that the westbro cult doesn't just attack the funerals of gays and soldiers but any potentially high profile funeral. Just last year they where planing to head up here to Canada to spew their hate at the Funeral of man who was decapitated in a attack on a greyhound bus. Canadians where naturally outraged and planed a massive counter protest that scared the westbros off plus they could have been arrested for hate crimes.
MortVent
And they are quick to cancel if it looks like they will get no good publicity... or the local laws put them in a bind legally
KarmaInferno
What if my kid dresses in rough leathers and fur, carries around a battleaxe, and wears a horned helm? Flys into a berserker rage at the slightest provocation?

Is he a Goth?

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 17 2010, 11:37 AM) *
What if my kid dresses in rough leathers and fur, carries around a battleaxe, and wears a horned helm? Flys into a berserker rage at the slightest provocation?

Is he a Goth?

That's Old School Goth, Karma. It's soooo 4th century. grinbig.gif
KarmaInferno
I still remember attending a Vampire: Dark Ages LARP.

Most of the players who showed up were regular Vampire game players. Black clothes, eyeliner, etc.

So they were kinda shocked and speechless when in response to some highbrow insult my character Celerity'd over, ripped out the guy's throat, and threw his body out the window into the daylight.

They stared at me, and I responded with, "WHAT? It's the 14th century, we're all running around in spiked armor with great big honking swords. You were expecting maybe witty repartee?"

smile.gif

-np
Karoline
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 16 2010, 09:42 AM) *
Every Teenage man in America? How about we add most men in general? hehe

I think this list would actually encompass most people in general.

2. Wears band and/or rock t-shirts. <- who doesn't own at least a couple of band t-shirts?
4. Wears any odd, silver jewelry or symbols. <- Most jewelry is silver.
8. Shows a declining interest in wholesome activities, such as: the Bible, prayer, church or sports. <- I'd imagine most people don't read the bible regularly, pray, go to church, and play sports
11. Drinks alcohol. <- *cough* drinkingwineinchurch *cough* But seriously, most people drink at least occasionally
14. Complains of boredom. <- A favorite pasttime of many people
15. Sleeps too excessively or too little. <- Most people sleep more than 8 hours or less than 7 hours
21. Insists on spending time with friends while unaccompanied by an adult. <- I think most people spend time with friends without being accompanied by anyone else.
27. Watches cable television or any other corrupted media sources. <- I'm sure this is 99.99% of america
28. Plays videos games that contains violence or are of a role-playing nature. <- That would be 95% of video games
29. Uses the internet excessively and frequently makes time for the computer. <- Another one that includes most people under 40, and at least some over that age
31. Dances to music in a provocative or sexual manner. <- Is there any other way to dance to music?
32. Expresses an interest in sex. <- Everyone who has kids has obviously had an interest in this at some point
35. Pursues dangerous cult religions. Such include: Satanism, Scientology, Philosophy, Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism and Buddhism. <- Poor philosophists. Plato was so goth.

Real or not the list is funny. I think you'd have to look really hard to find someone who doesn't have at least 3 or 4 of these qualities.

Edit: Come to think of it, the sort of people who supposedly posted this would be guilty of some. They drink alcohol at communion, they request quiet time alone for prayer, show an interest in piercings/tattoos (Not in getting them, but they tend to be obsessed about them). They may also have a silver cross necklace or something similar (odd jewelry), and priests and nuns dress rather eccentrically. Oh, right, and most of them have kids, so they've expressed an interest in sex. I suppose the entire world is overrun with goths.
MortVent
most of the churches around here use grape juice vs wine for the communion... due to the precepts of the church being anti-alcohol

nezumi
No Catholic Church will turn down alcohol. If they aren't going to serve wine, they won't serve the blood at all.
Karoline
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 18 2010, 07:20 PM) *
No Catholic Church will turn down alcohol. If they aren't going to serve wine, they won't serve the blood at all.

Hehe, that just made me think....

26. Drinks blood or expresses an interest in drinking blood.

'This is my blood, take of it and drink' anyone?
da Loof
Now this is a little far from any right-wings I've met, and I'm surprise people are taking it seriously (or if it was, it was written by an old housewife who was just making crap up.) People who picket gay's funerals and sue the parents (as mentioned earlier) have gone so far in their zeal that they're actually going against the teachings of the bible themselves; while they don't have to condone homosexuality, condemnation or holier-than-thou attitudes is exactly what the Pharisees were doing. I'm not going to turn dumpshock into an internet sermon, but huh. I hate when people like that make Christians or Catholics look like that.
MortVent
QUOTE (da Loof @ Jul 18 2010, 10:26 PM) *
Now this is a little far from any right-wings I've met, and I'm surprise people are taking it seriously (or if it was, it was written by an old housewife who was just making crap up.) People who picket gay's funerals and sue the parents (as mentioned earlier) have gone so far in their zeal that they're actually going against the teachings of the bible themselves; while they don't have to condone homosexuality, condemnation or holier-than-thou attitudes is exactly what the Pharisees were doing. I'm not going to turn dumpshock into an internet sermon, but huh. I hate when people like that make Christians or Catholics look like that.

Where I live, most would believe it.

Sad to say it depends on the location.

As I said only one church actually uses wine for communion, because they forbid the congregation to drink spirits..

(hell they just got a bill passed where you can't drink in public... if you are in sight of the public roads even in your own back yard...)
nezumi
QUOTE (MortVent @ Jul 19 2010, 05:42 AM) *
As I said only one church actually uses wine for communion, because they forbid the congregation to drink spirits..

I believe you. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts they aren't Roman Catholic.
tete
QUOTE (da Loof @ Jul 19 2010, 03:26 AM) *

Right there with you. My biggest problem with Christianity has been some self proclaimed Christians.
DireRadiant
Locking thread.

"4. Discussion of politics, religion, and sex are prohibited, except as they directly pertain to Shadowrun or another game. Discussions on these subjects will be watched closely, and any innapropriate posts may result in warnings or suspensions."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012