Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do shapeshifters become awakened?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gamer6432
As the topic says. Are they born that way? Do they wake up one morning with sapience? Does there need to be some trigger event such as a manastorm? Or is it just whatever works best for the player/character? I couldn't find anything in the 4th edition books. Any clarification would be appreciated.
Ancient History
They're born that way, like any other paracritter.
Caadium
Shapeshifters aren't hybrid creatures that are part man part animal. They are their own species, and as such, are born that way.

Daylen
I think the question is more along the lines of what are they before magic is high enough for them to be able to change forms.

I seem to remember a thread about this before and some sources being quoted as saying shapeshifters are wild animals that can take human form.
MikeKozar
With fresh Soycaf, if the rest of the team knows what's good for 'em!
TheOOB
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jun 16 2010, 07:58 PM) *
I think the question is more along the lines of what are they before magic is high enough for them to be able to change forms.

I seem to remember a thread about this before and some sources being quoted as saying shapeshifters are wild animals that can take human form.

Shapeshifters are in fact animals who take human form, and not the other way around, which affects their perceptions on the world. That said, a shifter who spends most their young life as a human in a city will act differently than one who spends most their young life as an animal in the wild.
Gamer6432
Thanks for the info. I knew they were animals (and any DNA tests will show as such), just wasn't sure exactly when in their life they become awakened.

QUOTE (MikeKozar @ Jun 16 2010, 05:27 PM) *
With fresh Soycaf, if the rest of the team knows what's good for 'em!

The shifter I'm making will be born in a zoo. I'm thinking introduction to Soycaf will be a very interesting experience.
Mordinvan
Ok, this makes me ask, shifters are animals which can change into metahumans. So are there any metahumans which can change into animals (not including through spells), with the reverse of the standard shifter? Or maybe a meta which can turn into another meta, or an animal which can turn into another animal. Cause to get techincal, we're all 'animals' in the scientific sense of the word.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Shapeshifters may be any animal who does not belong to the homo sapiens sub-species. Now, as far as I know, they are born this way. Running Wild has a lot of info on this. With a chapter talking about a parazoologist who spends some months with a wolf pack who had shapeshifters on it.
Caadium
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 17 2010, 10:57 AM) *
Ok, this makes me ask, shifters are animals which can change into metahumans. So are there any metahumans which can change into animals (not including through spells), with the reverse of the standard shifter? Or maybe a meta which can turn into another meta, or an animal which can turn into another animal. Cause to get techincal, we're all 'animals' in the scientific sense of the word.

Drakes are metas that change into an animal form.
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Caadium @ Jun 17 2010, 01:29 PM) *
Drakes are metas that change into an animal form.

I was more thinking something like a traditional werewolf, where it was human, hits a magic spike or something, and then can shift.
wylie
there was a story in a Shadowland magazine that had a shapeshifter in it. the creature was a nasty piece of work...

it would assume the form of one of its victims

not sure if it was ever stated out,
Daylen
QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 17 2010, 09:34 PM) *
I was more thinking something like a traditional werewolf, where it was human, hits a magic spike or something, and then can shift.

werewolfs are covered in one of the HMVVsomethings.
Daylen
QUOTE (Gamer6432 @ Jun 17 2010, 02:11 AM) *
Thanks for the info. I knew they were animals (and any DNA tests will show as such), just wasn't sure exactly when in their life they become awakened.

The shifter I'm making will be born in a zoo. I'm thinking introduction to Soycaf will be a very interesting experience.

hehe. Funny I had a Tiger shifter once that paid no money for a luxury lifestyle otherwise known as living in the seattle zoo. What better way to live for an egotistical runner? Sleep all day, get fed for free, and have many people coming by every day to admire how awesome he is. Then at night sneak out and go have fun in the concrete jungle. Oh and free security.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012