Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrawideband/Terhertz Radar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hamsnibit
Hi there,

While looking for another augmentations i stumbled upon an oddity.
The terhertz radar sensor for drones is a device which allows
you to wallhack everything up to several hundred meters only limited by the barrier rating of walls.
Such a powerful spying device with high abuse potential is sensefully restricted so heres my question :
Why is the cyberware version in the augmentation book on p36 not restricted? It is the same device
just built into a natural metahuman body even the sensory output is redirectable to any trid or screen.

So whats is going on here, any ideas why?
Yerameyahu
Do you mean the UWB Radar sensor that lets you see through 1 to 4 walls and has a max range of 100m, and is vulnerable to jamming?

In Arsenal, it's 8R, and in Augmentation, the cyber version is 12-. Yes, it's quite a neat little toy. I wouldn't say it's dangerously powerful. It is odd that the Avail/Legal don't quite match up. Oh well. smile.gif
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 17 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Do you mean the UWB Radar sensor that lets you see through 1 to 4 walls and has a max range of 100m, and is vulnerable to jamming?

In Arsenal, it's 8R, and in Augmentation, the cyber version is 12-. Yes, it's quite a neat little toy. I wouldn't say it's dangerously powerful. It is odd that the Avail/Legal don't quite match up. Oh well. smile.gif

If you wear a tinfoil hat while using it, will it cook your hair?
Minchandre
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 17 2010, 01:27 PM) *
If you wear a tinfoil hat while using it, will it cook your hair?

Typical frequencies used in UWB radar detection are too small (that is, the wavelength is too large) to generate significant currents in an antenna the size of a tinfoil hat, unless it's like a tinhoil Papal mitre.

Sorry to give a pedantic and technical response to your lighthearted question grinbig.gif
Minchandre
Double post
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jun 17 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Typical frequencies used in UWB radar detection are too small (that is, the wavelength is too large) to generate significant currents in an antenna the size of a tinfoil hat, unless it's like a tinhoil Papal mitre.

Sorry to give a pedantic and technical response to your lighthearted question grinbig.gif

So if we were to wrap a potato in said mitre and then look at it, we could have baked potatoes?
Tanegar
I now have a burning urge to create a paranoid schizophrenic character who wears a tinfoil mitre and is referred to as the Tinfoil Pope.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 17 2010, 05:39 PM) *
I now have a burning urge to create a paranoid schizophrenic character who wears a tinfoil mitre and is referred to as the Tinfoil Pope.

#2992: Your Tinfoil Pope may not have the Dependant quality with his Dependant "Altar-Boy Timmy" - This message is not brought to you by HOL (Human Occupied Landfill).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012