Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much history does your character have?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mardegun
It has been a few years since I have played SR and I looked at one of my characters. One character is a Minatour who was born in 2017, 4 years before the goblinlization. He entered the military in 2034 and retired in 2050. He started shadowrunning in 2055, and the last time I played him, the year was 2058.

What year is it in the latest cannon? I am currently reading YotC and it funny wondering what my character did during that time. How about you guys do you have similar experiences?
Kagetenshi
I have an Elf born in 2011. Canon current is 2064.

~J
Fahr
as a GM I've got an antagonist runner team headed by a troll who was born around 1990... he's getting pretty old, but he's a darn fine leader.

He's also way behind the times socially, and an outcast from other trolls cause of his age and position before the change (military officer in Ukraine) at this point, he feals that the world can't phase him anymore, he's seen it all, anything else is just icing on the cake.

-Mike R.
Mardegun
1990? I assume that the troll wasn't born one correct? 74 years old? I thought 50 was getting to old! eek.gif

How about PC characters?
moosegod
Our best character is a troll born in 2000.
Fahr
yep, 74, and he goblinized with everyone else.

he don't run around much, mostly sits in a van and co-ordinates, he has some cyber but most of it is very old.

-Mike R.
Parabellum1
My oldest was born in May of 2024, while I am human, both my Father and older brother Goblinized into trolls while I was in grade school. It has made for some interesting roleplaying let me tell you.
L.D
I have a dwarf born in 1994 and played last in 2057.

Yes, I know that by canon dwarfs are born and do not "goblinize", but we always found that a bit boring so he "goblinized" into a dwarf in 2011.

Otherwise you could just say that he was a spike baby. biggrin.gif
kryton
Actually in 1st edition all meta's changed at Puberty. That must be a 3rd ed. thing.
Nikoli
And i thought it was the elves that just sorta appeared, not just the IE's.
Solstice
isn't 74 way beyond the max lifespan of a troll?
Nikoli
Not if they were born human and expressed at puberty
Kagetenshi
So are some of the ages of living humans.

~J
TheOneRonin
The one character I play (rarely as I usually GM) is 39 in 2064. He was born in 2025, trained as a Ranger, then 18B in CASSOCOM, then spent a few years in the DIA, finally topping his pre-running career in ConsOps, sort of like a 2060's version of John Clark (for all you Clancy fans). He's been in the shadows for about 4 years, give or take.

Most of my players have characters in their late 20's, early 30's. Though the first two characters I ever GMed for were in their late 20's in 2052, but have long since been retired from the game.

This bring up another interesting question. What is the AVERAGE age of your characters? Are most of them in their 30's with a Corp/Military/whatever background, or much younger with a Street background?
Siege
Between 20 to 35, depending on concept and history.

History is usually limited, detailed enough to cover all the various aspects of the character and/or any particular quirks, but that's usually the extent of it.

-Siege
Mardegun
The troll I mentioned above started his Shadowrun career at age 38. All my other characters started in their late twenties. That seem like a good age for anyone as experienced as starting PC.

Then again my groups always added a LOT more skills, depending on the background of the character.
Kagetenshi
Most of my characters are either young teens/late preteens (Otaku, natch) or late 20s/early 30s, most often with some sort of either military or academic background.

~J
John Campbell
I actually worked a brief cameo of myself as an NPC into one of our Shadowrun games a while ago. It was 2054; I'd just turned 80.

QUOTE (kryton)
Actually in 1st edition all meta's changed at Puberty. That must be a 3rd ed. thing.

Only orks and trolls have ever expressed at puberty. I just checked SR1 to make sure. Elves were born beginning in 2011 or thereabouts, with no mention of them goblinizing. Orks and trolls goblinized starting in 2021 and subsequently may have either been born meta or born human and goblinized, and only orks and trolls are ever mentioned as goblinizing. Interestingly, dwarves aren't mentioned either way, though I presume that they worked like elves, as they have in subsequent editions.
Fortune
QUOTE (kryton)

You might want to recheck this, because the way goblination works has not changed across the different editions. Elves and Dwarves were born that way (and did not goblinize at all) in SR1 just as they do according to SR3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012