Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The way home is blocked?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crimson Jack
If someone were to coat an astrally projecting mage's body with FAB, would that prevent him from re-entering his body or would the FAB just wear off? I know that they inject the stuff into window panes to prevent pass-through movement. Does it need a hermetically sealed environment or can it coat objects? Can it be mixed with anything and still maintain its usefulness? Just curious.
Kagetenshi
The dreaming way is closed...

I'd say the mage'd have to Manaball his way through if you did that. The stuff'd wear off, but probably in a matter of hours, which is all the mage has.

~J

Edit: I misremembered the quote; it should be "The dreaming way is eased"
Jpwoo
This may be misremembered,

Don' the mage mask restraints keep a mage from projecting? Conversely would they also keep a mage from returning to their body?

This seems like a lot of work when you could just beat their limb body to death with an encyclopedia. Wait that is a lot of work too. Use a bullet.
Fahr
difference would be that beating (or shooting) is an obvious way to kill someone, if you have a mage you want dead and you want it to look like an accident, than blocking his way back would be a good way to kack him.

why not just fill the room with the stuff(FAB)?

-Mike R.
Nikoli
Better yet, sneak the body onto the mass transit system.
BitBasher
im pretty sure he could just engage the FAB in astral combat and kill it, its counted as a single organism.
Rev
He could also find some way to knock himself unconcious, in which case he instantaneously and automatically returns to his body regardless of barriers... heh.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Rev)
He could also find some way to knock himself unconcious, in which case he instantaneously and automatically returns to his body regardless of barriers... heh.

Hmm, that's a good idea.
RedmondLarry
It is a good idea -- but he'll have to roll to avoid Magic Loss for getting disrupted.
toturi
Do it the meta way. Go metaplanar, then go home.
Sunday_Gamer
Only an option for initiates but yeah, I'm with him.

You think you can hold an astral monkey? I laugh at you and flee to the native jungles of my monkey friends! Follow me now tough guy!

Kong
Kagetenshi
I believe by the technical wording you have to project to the metaplanes straight from your body...

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I believe by the technical wording you have to project to the metaplanes straight from your body...

Yep. Metaplanar travel has to be pre-determined prior to actual Projection.
Sunday_Gamer
All right then smarty pants wink.gif Guess it's a city spirit wedgy and a stun bolt for you then!

Kong
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 26 2004, 11:39 AM)

~J

It says the Character has to project to the metaplanes directly, it doesn't say from where.
Zazen
You must choose a metaplane before leaving your body. If a player decided to "always have one picked, just to be safe", then I'd declare that lame and send him to the metaplane of herpes.
toturi
It's your game, man. Knock yourself out. But that's not Canon.
Zazen
Well canon does say "directly". Wangling the wording around to create weird interpretations is your perogative, but I think you'll fail to convince most people nyahnyah.gif
toturi
If it must be from physical, does a spirit have to manifest physically to go metaplanar? It says character as well and the last I checked character means everyone, PC and NPC.
Zazen
Like I said, wangling this stuff around until it is totally nonsensical is your perogative.

Just to humor you, if your position is really to apply these rules to spirits then please consider the absurdity. Characters must be on a quest while on the metaplanes, ("idle travel is not possible" and all that), so now you have to roll astral quests for all spirits, all the time, whenever they are on call or dip into their metaplane to heal. Low force spirits will end up getting their asses kicked and be disrupted.. which sends them to a metaplane forcing them to get their ass kicked by a quest again... and again... and again...

You do roll perpetual astral quests for all of the spirits in your campaign, right? nyahnyah.gif
toturi
Which is why, by my reading, you can project directly to the metaplanes from anywhere.

Also concerning the spirits question, you evidently did not read MitS very thoroughly or you would have given me a Canon rebutal.
Reaver
May I recommend the Sterilize spell. Comes in handy for many things, FAB included. biggrin.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (toturi)
Also concerning the spirits question, you evidently did not read MitS very thoroughly or you would have given me a Canon rebutal.

Are you telling me that you DO force all spirits to do endless astral questing whenever they are on their metaplane? eek.gif

That's pretty weird, man!
Cochise
QUOTE (toturi)
Which is why, by my reading, you can project directly to the metaplanes from anywhere.

The important words being both "project" and "directly" ...

Now my question would be: What would be an "indirect" projection to the meta planes in your interpretation?

RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Reaver)
May I recommend the Sterilize spell. Comes in handy for many things, FAB included.

Unfortunately Sterilize is a Physical spell, and may not be cast while using Astral Projection. Only Mana spells can be cast in Astral Space.

Projection from the physical world directly to the metaplanes is the only way a magician can get there, either on his own or using the astral gateway power of a free spirit. He can not project to Astral Space before projecting to the metaplane.

MitS p. 92 selected text on lower half of left column:
"A character must choose a destination metaplane before leaving his body."
"The character must project directly to the metaplane."
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (OurTeam)
QUOTE (Reaver @ Feb 26 2004, 04:11 AM)
May I recommend the Sterilize spell.  Comes in handy for many things, FAB included.

Unfortunately Sterilize is a Physical spell, and may not be cast while using Astral Projection. Only Mana spells can be cast in Astral Space.

So manifest, tell an adept to take some of that astral perception drug, possess him, sterilize your body, go home.
Kesh
Rather than trapping the mage's body, trap his astral form. It was used in Corporate Security Guide and makes it easier to keep the FAB pumped into the area even if he attacks it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012