Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friday Night Fights in 2072
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DrZaius
“Hello, and welcome again to Friday Night Fights. I’m Joe Tessitore, and with me as always is Teddy Atlas. We’ve got another great fight tonight Teddy; what do you make of the opponents?”
“Well Joe, it should be pretty evenly matched. Once again we’re matching magic versus machine, the outcome of which will determine who advances to the next round of our tournament. “Irish” Charlie O’Brien is the adept in the fight, and I think he’s got a decent shot. He doesn’t hit as hard as his opponent, but what he lacks in strength, he makes up for in ability; he’s one of the best fighters I’ve seen in a while.”
[ Spoiler ]

“I agree Teddy, but my money is on his opponent, Marcus “Gunz” Schmidt. For those of you watching at home, he’s the one in the blue trunks, and with the two massive custom cyberarms. It should be pretty easy to tell the difference between these two during the fight.”
“Haha, that’s an understatement.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Alright, the fighters have been announced, they’re in their corners, let’s start this fight!”
[ Spoiler ]

“Right out of the gate, Gunz looks significantly faster than Irish; the question is, can Irish hold him off long enough to make a difference, or is this fight going to be over before it starts?”
[ Spoiler ]

“It didn’t look like either opponent made much progress in that exchange; but it won’t be long before the sparks start to fly.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Again, Gunz is landing his punches a half beat before Irish; if he’s going to have any chance in this match, he’s going to have to start landing those counterpunches for damage, or he’s in big trouble.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Back and forth, trading punches, neither landing a clean.. And Irish is tagged!”
“That left put Irish on the mat, and he looks hurt! That didn’t take long!”
“No kidding. I guess when you’re punching someone with metal fists, once you land a good one it’s gonna sting for a while.”
“1… 2… 3…”
[ Spoiler ]

“Irish stands up, but looks a little wobbly. Unless something major changes, I don’t know how much longer he’s going to last. Irish pushes the ref away, and we're ready to go.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Gunz looks like he’s moving in for the kill; let’s see if he can finish it right here.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Irish landed a shot against Gunz there, but it doesn’t seem to have fazed him at all.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Irish barely dodges that vicious uppercut! I know we say this all the time, but his luck is going to run out eventually.”
“The luck of the Irish? It’ll last longer than you’ll think!”
“Ha, that’s right Teddy. Well we’ll see exactly how much longer in this fight he’s got.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Irish looks tired out there; Any shot could knock him down.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Gunz throws a wild overhand right, and Irish tags him! It looks like he actually caused some damage there!”
“Irish is leaving it all out there, he knows the next shot Gunz gets on him is going to put him down, and he’s throwing like he’s got nothing to lose.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Oooh, a wicked left hook, And that will do it. To be honest, it didn’t look like Irish had much of a chance from the beginning. 25 seconds in, we have a knockout.”
“Even when he was hitting Gunz, it wasn’t doing much damage; most of his shots either grazed or landed on his arms, and those things are built to last.”
“Thanks again for watching Friday Night Fights, we hope to see you again.”
Doc Chase
*whistles* Once he had that one bad resist roll, the fight was over.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 21 2010, 02:00 PM) *
*whistles* Once he had that one bad resist roll, the fight was over.

Yeah; he didn't look like he had much of a shot from the get-go. Counterstriking probably would have helped him some, but only rolling 4 body on a resist test is really the issue. 6 armor from dermal plating and cyberlimb armor is pretty crucial. Irish's best shot would be to just not get hit, and he failed at that smile.gif

-DrZaius
HugeC
Rules question: As I understand it, Improved Ability can't increase a skill by more than half its actual rating, rounded down. So Irish would be limited to +2 dice from that unless he got his Unarmed Combat skill to 6. I didn't think a specialization counted as improved skill rating (only a dice modifier). Am I reading it wrong?
Makki
that 9 Agi are crazy...
the adept can't have improved ability 3, unless he has the skill at 6, just for rule clarification
Falanin
You can use REA+unarmed (or REA+gymnastics) for defense instead of REA+dodge. For a pair of professional boxers, I'd generally expect them to be using unarmed for defense, since that way they can take the skill up to 6. Granted, they wouldn't get the specialization dice unless you chose their unarmed spec as (defense) or something appropriately vague (martial arts).

Alternately, your adept could use the REA+gymnastics to exploit improved ability(gymnastics) being cheaper than improved ability(dodge).
DrZaius
QUOTE (Makki @ Jun 21 2010, 02:10 PM) *
that 9 Agi are crazy...
the adept can't have improved ability 3, unless he has the skill at 6, just for rule clarification

Ah yes. Well, then he has a 6 in it. The skills are pretty arbitrary in these.
-DrZaius
Edit: By that, I mean that I am restricting myself to 200 BP for attributes, and 50 BP for gear, but that's about it. I suppose if I wanted to fight a troll vs. a dwarf, I might have to think harder about completely fleshing out a character, but these guys are just for messing around.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 21 2010, 02:13 PM) *
You can use REA+unarmed (or REA+gymnastics) for defense instead of REA+dodge. For a pair of professional boxers, I'd generally expect them to be using unarmed for defense, since that way they can take the skill up to 6. Granted, they wouldn't get the specialization dice unless you chose their unarmed spec as (defense) or something appropriately vague (martial arts).

Alternately, your adept could use the REA+gymnastics to exploit improved ability(gymnastics) being cheaper than improved ability(dodge).

Yeah; for the most part, I was either blocking (Reaction + Unarmed skill), or full dodging (Reaction + Dodge + Dodge). There are rules in the book for "full parry", which is "Weapon skill x 2 + Reaction", but I think those were more for actually parrying an attack with a weapon.

Edit: Yes, gymnastics dodge would be cheaper, but it doesn't really fit in my mindset for how a boxing match should go. In theory, if I do one of these as an MMA fight, that would make sense, but in the meantime I'm going to keep them with pretty standard boxing rules. Someday, maybe I'll actually get to the end of the 1st round, and we'll have the corner working on the guy! (Logic 3 + First Aid 3 + Medkit rating 3?)

-DrZaius
Falanin
I can see that as a legitimate interpretation, I suppose. I've always run it that full parry and gymnastic dodge work identically to full dodge (in melee) regardless of the weapons used.
Falanin
Also, ha! Awesome thought on the corner guy. Medkits are easily available, though. Given the amount of money on the line in augmented prizefights, they're likely to be using a medkit 6.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 21 2010, 07:24 PM) *
Also, ha! Awesome thought on the corner guy. Medkits are easily available, though. Given the amount of money on the line in augmented prizefights, they're likely to be using a medkit 6.

True! Though how long does it take for that medkit to heal a single box of physical/stun damage? IIRC, the corner dosen't have long to compress bruises or 'fix' cuts before the next round starts.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 21 2010, 02:24 PM) *

Yeah; and he'd probably be a pretty smart guy (logic 4-5), plus this is his job, after all (4-5 skill, with specialization). It's one of those things where "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it". As these fights are generally over in 30 seconds, when one goes 4 times as long (I've been operating under the assumption of 2 minute rounds), I'll write up some corner guys if I get that far. smile.gif
EDIT: Generally, I think they get 30 seconds between rounds. Time for the Round girls to prance across stage, get a drink of water, have the guy plug their cuts.
"Characters with the First Aid skill may immediately help reduce the
trauma of wounds (Stun or Physical). First Aid may only be applied
within 12 hours of when the damage was taken. Roll a First Aid + Logic
(2) Test, applying appropriate situational modifiers. (Characters using
First Aid on themselves must apply their wound modifiers to the test.)
Using the First Aid skill is a Complex Action, and takes a number of
Combat Turns equal to the amount of damage the character is attempting
to heal. Each net hit over the threshold reduces 1 box of damage.
A critical glitch on a First Aid Test increases the damage by 1D3
boxes; time is increased accordingly.
The maximum damage healable with the First Aid skill is equal
to the skill’s rating. First Aid may only be applied to a character once
(for that set of wounds), and it may not be applied if the character has
been magically healed."
So basically, unless they're already dying, it should be enough time to heal 'em up almost full. That's not saying they will get healed full though; there are modifiers for being magical & having lots of 'ware, plus it's not exactly a clean room..

-DrZaius
Ryu
One thing I have trouble with is calculating damage for boxing from the strength of the arms alone. Proper strikes are delivered with the full body.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jun 21 2010, 03:33 PM) *
One thing I have trouble with is calculating damage for boxing from the strength of the arms alone. Proper strikes are delivered with the full body.

That's true, but I think the intention of the game was to have unarmed combat be "the leading limb". For example, if I had used a cyberspur, I think most people would rule the strength of the arm would be where the source of the damage came from. In fact, I'm sure there are those who would say that having 2 cyber arms was unnecessary- so long as he had a mean right, the left could be normal and I could shove more 'ware in him.

-DrZaius
Ryu
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 21 2010, 10:42 PM) *
That's true, but I think the intention of the game was to have unarmed combat be "the leading limb". For example, if I had used a cyberspur, I think most people would rule the strength of the arm would be where the source of the damage came from. In fact, I'm sure there are those who would say that having 2 cyber arms was unnecessary- so long as he had a mean right, the left could be normal and I could shove more 'ware in him.

-DrZaius

I agree that most players would concur, but I hold a different opinion.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jun 21 2010, 04:44 PM) *
I agree that most players would concur, but I hold a different opinion.

Well then I respect your opinion! Do whatever makes sense for you or makes your game fun. RAW arguments always bore me smile.gif

-DrZaius
IKerensky
I would have expected the Irish guy to have far more Edge, it would have helped mitigate a bit the Cyberbeast.

Also, if he want to dodge and jab he really need one more IP than his opponent, Improved Reflexe level 2 seems the very minimum to me.
DrZaius
QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 22 2010, 03:08 AM) *
I would have expected the Irish guy to have far more Edge, it would have helped mitigate a bit the Cyberbeast.

Also, if he want to dodge and jab he really need one more IP than his opponent, Improved Reflexe level 2 seems the very minimum to me.

Believe me, every time I do one of these I second guess my builds immediately afterwards. Even as I started this one, I was pretty sure I should have given him counterstriking (but I don't have the book that contains it, and I didn't want to open the floodgates to, "Why didn't you use nanites to heal the cyberbeasts wounds?" arguments). Thanks for the input though.
TommyTwoToes
I would like to see a juicer (combat drug user) give it a go in one of these fights.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 22 2010, 02:46 PM) *
I would like to see a juicer (combat drug user) give it a go in one of these fights.

Test out that K-10(?) mix from the other thread?

That would be interesting.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Right now I'm working on an elf with 3 IPs vs. a Troll Adept, but if someone else wanted to post a guy, I'd consider putting them in a fight.

-DrZaius

Hmm; would the effects of Nitro and a Damage Compensator stack? I'm thinking of giving this troll (who is now a cyberbeast) a breakable tooth.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 08:50 AM) *

I think he is sticking to just the basic book, so this would be jazz, cram, + whatever out of the SR4A book. I am AFB and don't remember what the mix was that my Orc was using while he did runs to "save up" for cyberware, but you can get pretty good stat adds and 3 IP's out of stuff in the basic book, along with a serious ammount of High Pain Threshold.

Besides, if you don't spend the points on gear, you have more available for base stats, qualities and skills.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 22 2010, 08:54 AM) *
Right now I'm working on an elf with 3 IPs vs. a Troll Adept, but if someone else wanted to post a guy, I'd consider putting them in a fight.

-DrZaius

My project once I get home from work rotate.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 22 2010, 03:07 PM) *
I think he is sticking to just the basic book, so this would be jazz, cram, + whatever out of the SR4A book. I am AFB and don't remember what the mix was that my Orc was using while he did runs to "save up" for cyberware, but you can get pretty good stat adds and 3 IP's out of stuff in the basic book, along with a serious ammount of High Pain Threshold.

Besides, if you don't spend the points on gear, you have more available for base stats, qualities and skills.

Very true! For the purposes of this simulation, though, additional skills would be unnecessary. A boxer doesn't need Demolitions, he just needs to throw and block a punch. biggrin.gif

I'm also AFB at the mome, so I don't recall the price of street drugs, but you'd be able to get a decent output for barely any money.
DrZaius
Here's a troll I'm considering adding in here. The concept is to see how well he does against an opponent with 3 IP.

"Brick"
[ Spoiler ]

-DrZaius

EDIT: Drugs are very affordable.
Drugs (per dose) Avail Cost
Cram 2R 10¥
Deepweed 8F 400¥
Jazz 2R 75¥
Kamikaze 4R 100¥
Long Haul — 50¥
Nitro 2R 50¥
Novacoke 2R 10¥
Psyche — 200¥
Zen 4R 5¥
EDIT 2: Kamikaze seems better than Nitro, which also gave him an extra IP, negating the need for cram.
Doc Chase
An assault cannon versus a machine gun? Should be a helluva fight.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 10:28 AM) *
An assault cannon versus a machine gun? Should be a helluva fight.

Provided the machine gun survives the first shot, yes smile.gif

-DrZaius
Doc Chase
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 22 2010, 03:29 PM) *
Provided the machine gun survives the first shot, yes smile.gif

-DrZaius

Edge Edge Edge. biggrin.gif

I'm really looking forward to the next round now.
DrZaius
Brick's potential competition. Thoughts?

[ Spoiler ]

I feel like this one could last 10 rounds. Brick won't be able to hit Twitch, and Twitch won't be able to hurt Brick.

EDIT: I gave Brick 190 BP of attributes to Twitch's 200, to make up for the racial differences.
EDIT 2: Following Makki's advice, I lowered his Intuition to raise his strength. This should give him a slightly better shot of actually touching Brick.
Doc Chase
Twitch is going to get obliterated if he fails a dodge roll, but he's got a shot at least at doing something...

I think it'll be a good fight.
Makki
troll: i don't think Reach is added to anything else but attacking
elf: an even strength value is useless. find another point of str or drop one ^^

hm, he'll need a hell lota net hits to hurt, but'll be interesting
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Very true! For the purposes of this simulation, though, additional skills would be unnecessary. A boxer doesn't need Demolitions, he just needs to throw and block a punch. biggrin.gif

I'm also AFB at the mome, so I don't recall the price of street drugs, but you'd be able to get a decent output for barely any money.

Perhaps the extra points that would have been used on gear go into edge. That could start him with 6 edge (the sample guys you made had 3 and another 35BP puts them to the cap.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 22 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Perhaps the extra points that would have been used on gear go into edge. That could start him with 6 edge (the sample guys you made had 3 and another 35BP puts them to the cap.

Perhaps, but we'd be breaching the 200BP attribute barrier, I think.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 11:17 AM) *
Perhaps, but we'd be breaching the 200BP attribute barrier, I think.

Isn't Edge a special attribute outside the 200 BP limit? Our group played it that way, but we could have been doing it wrong.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 22 2010, 04:27 PM) *
Isn't Edge a special attribute outside the 200 BP limit? Our group played it that way, but we could have been doing it wrong.

Let me consult my b-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT ISN'T HERE WHY MUST YOU ASK ME THESE THINGS

I mean, I'll have to look it up when I get home from work.
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 22 2010, 11:39 AM) *
Let me consult my b-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT ISN'T HERE WHY MUST YOU ASK ME THESE THINGS

I mean, I'll have to look it up when I get home from work.

yeah, going from memory (which is dangerous as I get up there in years) the book says to buy attributes, then talks about the 200 BP cap, and then goes into buying special attributes (magic, edge and resonance).
DrZaius
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 22 2010, 11:54 AM) *
yeah, going from memory (which is dangerous as I get up there in years) the book says to buy attributes, then talks about the 200 BP cap, and then goes into buying special attributes (magic, edge and resonance).

Yup. That's what I've been going on.

Reach:
Melee Modifiers (pg. 157 BBB)
Various factors may affect a character’s ability to attack, parry, or dodge in melee combat. The
modifiers noted on the Melee Modifier Table (below) apply to both attackers and defenders,
unless specifically noted.
Character has longer Reach: +1 per point of net Reach*
* You may apply Reach as a –1 dice pool modifier per net point to the opponent instead.

EDIT: Maybe after the elf/troll fight, I could do something a little more interesting. And by that I of course mean Thunderdome cyber.gif
Critias
You are correct (Edge, Magic, etc. don't count as the 200 BP limit for attributes).
DrZaius
Working on Round 3 now.
-DrZaius

EDIT: will have to wait for another day.
McCummhail
It may not make a massive difference but you have the option of doing
Full Defense (Block): REA + Unarmed (Block) + Dodge (Melee)
as opposed to
Full Defense (Dodge): REA + Dodge (Melee) + Dodge (Melee)

For the adepts you played in the ring this would have gained them a few net dice on full defense tests.
For some boxers full dodge is appropriate as they literally drop their hands as they bob, weave, and dance,
but full block is just as common with them bobbing and weaving with their hands up, especially for "peek-a-boo" boxers.
DrZaius
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jun 22 2010, 02:22 PM) *
It may not make a massive difference but you have the option of doing
Full Defense (Block): REA + Unarmed (Block) + Dodge (Melee)
as opposed to
Full Defense (Dodge): REA + Dodge (Melee) + Dodge (Melee)

For the adepts you played in the ring this would have gained them a few net dice on full defense tests.
For some boxers full dodge is appropriate as they literally drop their hands as they bob, weave, and dance,
but full block is just as common with them bobbing and weaving with their hands up, especially for "peek-a-boo" boxers.

Yes; I was going to be a jerk and quote the book, but then I read the relevant page and decided not to make an ass of myself. It tricked me by not listing it as "Full Defense (Block)", but rather under Full Defense Dodge: REA + "Melee Skill" + Dodge. Cool stuff, I'll have to adjust my fights a bit here. Obviously if they're going full defense, they're going to want all the dice they can get smile.gif My big Troll definitely is going to avoid "dodging" anything cyber.gif

-DrZaius
McCummhail
Though you are intentionally sticking to the BBB, it is worth noting that for the cost of -2 capacity, +4 availability and +5,000 nuyen you can get an "optimized" cyberlimb.
The Ultimate Champion line of cyberarms are optimized for boxing, granting +1 dice to unarmed combat tests.
That is per cyberlimb, so for 10K you can get +2 dice for boxing.
Although optimized cyberlimbs don't see a lot of use at my table, I can see arms designed for boxing being used ubiquitously by top end boxers.
Arsenal and Augmentation have some interesting ideas and toys in them.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 21 2010, 12:13 PM) *

Not quite true. Gymnastic Defense is only a valid choice on a full defense. Sucks, but them's the rules. Other than that, roughly accurate. Gymdodging is good.

So, what are the rules for friday night fight? This sounds kind of cool. Hows it work?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 22 2010, 10:00 PM) *
Not quite true. Gymnastic Defense is only a valid choice on a full defense. Sucks, but them's the rules. Other than that, roughly accurate. Gymdodging is good.

So, what are the rules for friday night fight? This sounds kind of cool. Hows it work?

I make two guys, and fight 'em out. The rules are standard boxing rules; 2 minute rounds, and 3 knockdowns in a round equals a TKO. No armor (other than what's under their skin, i.e. dermal plating), and nothing but fists (so no cyberspurs). The two fighters generally are 200 BP of attributes (or slightly less, if I'm fighting 2 different races and want to even things out), with only stuff in the BBB and under availability 12 (normal starting Shadowrunner gear). I don't think I'm forgetting anything; but that's pretty much it. I've got ideas for corner guys and other stuff like that, but I'm going to wait until one of these fights lasts more than 30 seconds first. Hitting someone with a metal fist appears to be quite damaging. cyber.gif
McCummhail
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 23 2010, 09:41 AM) *
I make two guys, and fight 'em out. The rules are standard boxing rules; 2 minute rounds, and 3 knockdowns in a round equals a TKO. No armor (other than what's under their skin, i.e. dermal plating), and nothing but fists (so no cyberspurs). The two fighters generally are 200 BP of attributes (or slightly less, if I'm fighting 2 different races and want to even things out), with only stuff in the BBB and under availability 12 (normal starting Shadowrunner gear). I don't think I'm forgetting anything; but that's pretty much it. I've got ideas for corner guys and other stuff like that, but I'm going to wait until one of these fights lasts more than 30 seconds first. Hitting someone with a metal fist appears to be quite damaging. cyber.gif

I would advocate for some damage tweaking to account for the gloves.
I don't know how much of a difference they would make for steel fists,
but I do know that bare knuckles and gloves feel different when they tap my chin.

Even gloves might not take the fight out of the first round though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012