Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Human Lie Detector
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Siege
Spawned by the "new spells" thread, how would you couple cyberware systems to function as a human lie detector?

First round proposal

Enhanced Hearing
Chipjack/datajack + knowsoft link

Optional Upgrades
Thermo
Olfactory boost

The explanation:
The program used to process the information is encoded on the skillsoft which uses the processing ability of the user's gray matter coupled with the basic processing ability of either the datajack/knowsoft link combo or chipjack.

The chip is encoded at a specific rating: 1-8. The TN is the subject's Charisma or Willpower, whichever is higher. Complimentary bonus dice comes from Psychology or Human Perception.

Per optional upgrade, the user receives a -1 TN bonus on the skill roll.

The subject being interrogated resists with either Charisma or Willpower. Complimentary bonus comes from Gambling or Resist Torture/Drugs.

-Siege
Nikoli
Vision Magnification for watching hairs twitch, eyes dilating, etc.
Halloween Jack
I think this is a really great idea.
spotlite
Works for me, Seige. That's really quite cunning. Not 100% reliable, but then what lie detector is? Even Analyze Truth is only accurate as far as the subjective opinion of the target. As a tech based solution, its quite neat (as in tidy, rather than any colloquialisms).

Tell you what though - that skillsoft is going to be illegal, hard to get hold of, expensive, or all three. I mean, you'll need a team of both highly skilled psychologists and biologists, and a VERY good data capture program to make it run. No probs with the processing power, just the code is going to be horrendously difficult in order to account for all the variables and vagaries of metahumankind. In principle, I do like the idea. Not something I'm going to a: let the runners know about or b: let them use though. Strictly for Resource Adjustment Departments, this tech...
Siege
+3 edge: Poker Face

Benefit: Confers a +2 TN penalty against attempts to read a subject's tells or mannerisms. At GM discretion, can also offer a -1 TN bonus in negotiations as not many people can "lie with a straight face."

-Siege
Siege
Idle thoughts on the idea that a professional Johnson would undergo some serious conditioning and training to be the perfect, anonymous Face.

I also noted these skills as "secondary" rather than strictly "knowledge" to minimize confusion. As people have suggested before, if it's not Active then it's a Secondary skill.

Psychology
This is the science of mental or behavioral characteristics of an individual or group.

Human Perception
Invaluable to cops, therapists and conmen, this enables the character to read body language in order to determine emotional content and/or general purpose.

Gambling
This covers a character’s skill at and knowledge of various games of chance.

Acting
Whether trained in classical Shakespeare, daytime soaps or knowing when to milk a bruised knee for ice cream and a day in bed, this skill entails faking an emotional state and mimicking physical behavior for benefit of an audience.

Resist Torture/Drugs
The character has been trained in resisting conventional interrogation techniques as well magical effects. Extreme biofeedback training to exert maximum control over personal response in order to defeat or sabotage biometric monitoring systems. I.e. voice stress analysis, blood pressure and similar diagnostics.

Wardrobe and Style
You know what's in fashion and where. Not only do you know how to make anything look good, but you also set fashion trends and people often ask you for fashion tips.

Perception skills

Spot
Whether looking for an easy mark, dodging cops or marking perps, you have a sharp eye for detail and picking up visual clues.

As with Spot and Search, each sense has a skill that denotes the amount of extra attention the character has spent to cultivate his or her ability to utilize those senses.

Listen
Smell
Taste
Touch

Search
You knew where your brother hid his drugs before your parents did. You've raised violating someone's personal space to an art form -- you excel at locating nuances and detail in a relatively confined area.

-Siege
Nikoli
Wardrobe and Style
You know what's in fashion and where. Not only do you know how to make anything look good, but you also set fashion trends and people often ask you for fashion tips.

Not that I mind, but isn't that basically straight out og Cyber punk?
Siege
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Wardrobe and Style

Not that I mind, but isn't that basically straight out og Cyber punk?

Yepper. Amazingly applicable and just too cool not to use.

I have a standing gripe about CP, so I don't feel particularly guilty about implementing the idea/concept.

-Siege
Halloween Jack
One of the interesting things about CP2020 was that taking a skill had background implications. That is, if you had a high Style skill, it was assumed that you had a good wardrobe and that you had some degree of renown for your fashion sense.
Arz
QUOTE (Siege)
Spawned by the "new spells" thread, how would you couple cyberware systems to function as a human lie detector?

The explanation:
The program used to process the information is encoded on the skillsoft which uses the processing ability of the user's gray matter coupled with the basic processing ability of either the datajack/knowsoft link combo or chipjack.

The chip is encoded at a specific rating: 1-8. The TN is the subject's Charisma or Willpower, whichever is higher. Complimentary bonus dice comes from Psychology or Human Perception.

Per optional upgrade, the user receives a -1 TN bonus on the skill roll.

The subject being interrogated resists with either Charisma or Willpower. Complimentary bonus comes from Gambling or Resist Torture/Drugs.

-Siege

Actually there already exists a piece of cyberware with a heavy duty processor and cyber-sensory integration that results in skill bonuses.

It's called the Tactical Computer.

I'd just insert a new firmware chip into the Tac Comp and use rules similar to how it functions in combat. Don't have the book on me right now, but I believe it adds extra dice to skill (Tactics) tests.

Being lazy, I usually look to adapt existing cyberware that has a similar function instead of blazing off into the sunset.
Siege
Yes, but the tactical computer is miles above this bit of 'ware (or combination of ware).

And truthfully, I have yet to see a player take the tactical computer at cg or in game for varying reasons from price, to essence to a flat GM denial.

-Siege
Arz
QUOTE (Siege)
Yes, but the tactical computer is miles above this bit of 'ware (or combination of ware).

And truthfully, I have yet to see a player take the tactical computer at cg or in game for varying reasons from price, to essence to a flat GM denial.

-Siege

I can't help it. I sell things. The tac comp ain't being bought so I come up with an incentive. You know players can't resist buying the best available.

I personally think you are giving away something too easily. The integration costs of linking all that stuff together and then tapping it into a guys brain is going to hog some serious essence.

frown.gif I feel nostalgic for the SR2 version of the tac comp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012