Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friday Night Fights in 2072
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DrZaius
“Hello, and welcome again to Friday Night Fights. I’m Joe Tessitore, and with me as always is Teddy Atlas. We’ve got a special undercard tonight, outside of our normal matches. Teddy, what makes this fight different?”
“Well Joe, for starters, it’s rare that we have two different races fighting each other. Troll-Elf fights are rare, mainly because most elves have some semblance of self-preservation. He agreed to the match however, so I guess he thinks he’s got a shot!”
“Or maybe he knows the Troll has some money on him!”
“Hah, it’s a possibility. Let’s go to the tale of the tape to break it down.”
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

“As you can see, they’re very different styles of fighter; Brick is your standard “Impossible to knock down, hits like a freight train” Troll, while Twitch is a speed boxer. His best shot is going to be avoiding those bombs his opponent throws, and chipping away at him.”
“That’s the bell, let’s get this fight started!”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch looks like a live wire out there, he's going to try to keep moving and hopefully do enough damage to fell Brick like a Tree.”
I think his best bet was to feign injury in the locker room, but we’ll see how this plays out.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch throws a rapid flurry of punches, but Brick doesn’t appear to be paying attention. Brick throws a meaty right hook, and Twitch barely ducks underneath!”
“That was close. I’m not sure if Twitch could take it if one of those lands.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Brick punches more air, and Twitch dances around him, deftly avoiding his blows.”
“Now all he has to do to win this fight is knock over the Troll three times his size.”
[ Spoiler ]

“The crowd is getting into it; I think they’re rooting for Twitch, he’s completely dwarfed by the size of Brick in the ring.”
“Dwarfed in the literal sense, the Dwarf fight is next week.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch connects with a flurry of blows to the body, but I can’t tell if they’ve had any effect.”
“I think the first sign of Brick being hurt is going to be when he hits the mat dead.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch continues to peck at Brick, without much visible effect. It’s only a matter of time before one of those haymakers lands, and Twitch is in serious trouble.”
“I think if he keeps chipping away like this, he’s going to have a shot, but he has to keep lucky. He’s faster than Brick, and he needs to use that to his advantage.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Brick is chasing Twitch around the ring, leading him towards the corner as he throws huge sweeping hooks. Twitch ducks under them deftly, but it would appear like he’s getting frustrated; he’s not landing nearly as many shots; his speed advantage is useless as anything he lands glances off Brick’s huge body and arms.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch is chipping away, but is just barely ducking under those shots! This is starting to get exciting, it looks like Twitch is starting to enforce his will.”
“Sure, until Brick goes from annoyed to angry.”
[ Spoiler ]

“Now Twitch is backing Brick up! Unbelievable! It looks like his relentless attack is finally doing some damage!”
[ Spoiler ]

“Left, right, left, right, Twitch is working the body, and attacking at will!”
“Uh Oh! That gutteral howl from Brick makes me think he's done playing around and means business!”
[ Spoiler ]

“Twitch keeps swinging, getting closer and closer, throwing everything he's got, completely controlling the fight and … Oh my GOD! What a shot!”
“A galactically huge right smacks into Twitch and obliterates his face! He is down, and I don't think he's getting up!”
“His corner throws in the towel, and the ref is waving his arms. This fight is over! My god, what a shot!”
“Let's look at the replay!”
“As you can see, Twitch is landing against Brick, and doing some damage. A few shots to the body, some to the chin; Brick is bleeding, he just doesn't seem to care.”
“And right here is where the fight turned around- Brick drew him in, and then unloaded on him with everything he had. And what a shot it was! His ancestors are going to feel that right.”
“Thanks again for watching Friday Night Fights, see you next time!”
AStarshipforAnts
Would you mind if I used these as flavor-text for a game I'm running?
DrZaius
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Jun 22 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Would you mind if I used these as flavor-text for a game I'm running?

Not at all.
-DrZaius
AStarshipforAnts
Excellent.
IKerensky
Really good replay.

Luck at the end was deserved considering the bad rolls on previous turns.

Did you consider using Brick Edge sooner in order to act 3 times ?
Makki
oh, too bad, no happy ending for the fast and brave Elf..
DrZaius
QUOTE (IKerensky @ Jun 23 2010, 01:36 AM) *
Really good replay.

Luck at the end was deserved considering the bad rolls on previous turns.

Did you consider using Brick Edge sooner in order to act 3 times ?

My plan for Brick was to wait for him to actually be hurt (i.e. no more pain resistance), and then use his adrenaline pump. I used edge when I did with him because I figured I wouldn't have another lucky roll like that, and I should exploit it as much as possible. My thinking with edge going in was to use it in three circumstances; one, as a last resort to avoid getting clobbered (which didn't work out for Twitch); two, to have a massive success (As Brick did), and third (and probably the least likely), when I rolled really poorly on a test that I didn't want to fail (i.e. Twitch only getting 2 on a dodge test or somesuch). In retrospect, it seems like unless you have a small dice pool, it's almost always better to reroll failures. I'll remember that for the future.

EDIT: I didn't answer your question. I felt Brick's edge was best saved for what I had planned; one huge punch to end the fight. It wasn't a huge issue that Twitch was going 3 times to his 2; Brick was absorbing his attacks pretty well.

-DrZaius
TommyTwoToes
These are awesome, more more!
DrZaius
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Jun 23 2010, 09:59 AM) *
These are awesome, more more!

Heh, I'll try; I'm running out of ideas! I think a 'dwarf fight' could be interesting.
If I do one more fight, I can run this like a tournament, and end up with an eventual champion.
-DrZaius
StConstantine
ok firstly, THAT WAS SO FREAKIN AWESOME. I was like on the edge of my seat nyahnyah.gif

Secondly, i wouldnt mind seeing someother things, like a couple of guys going at it with dueling swords or something, or possibly some of the fighting styles out of arsenal...

please keep them coming
Makki
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 23 2010, 03:24 PM) *
In retrospect, it seems like unless you have a small dice pool, it's almost always better to reroll failures. I'll remember that for the future.

it is. as long as dicepool > edge, reroll is the mathematically better solution

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 23 2010, 04:04 PM) *
Heh, I'll try; I'm running out of ideas! I think a 'dwarf fight' could be interesting.

what about two dwarf twins vs a troll (enjoying superior position in melee)

DrZaius
QUOTE (StConstantine @ Jun 23 2010, 10:32 AM) *
ok firstly, THAT WAS SO FREAKIN AWESOME. I was like on the edge of my seat nyahnyah.gif

Secondly, i wouldnt mind seeing someother things, like a couple of guys going at it with dueling swords or something, or possibly some of the fighting styles out of arsenal...

please keep them coming

I'm considering a Mad-Max style "Thunderdome" for a fight in the future, with weapons and only 1 rule; two men enter, one man leaves. That would have helped my cyberbeast in the first fight, when his opponent was working the count getting up. As I do not own Arsenal & Augmentation at the moment, my gear and fighting styles are somewhat restricted. Glad you liked it!

-DrZaius
Dr.Rockso
This style of entry would make great explanations/examples for future core books.
Doc Chase
Great fight. It went right about the way I figured it would from the discussions yesterday. I think if Brick had been an Ork instead of a Troll, Twitch might've had a better shot at it.
DrZaius
A dwarf for the next round of fights. Frankly, I'm not sure what kind of dwarf to throw against him that would have a shot. Maybe I'll make more use of the 'called shot' rules.
[ Spoiler ]
Doc Chase
Well there's The Terminator, where's Kyle Reese?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 23 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Great fight. It went right about the way I figured it would from the discussions yesterday. I think if Brick had been an Ork instead of a Troll, Twitch might've had a better shot at it.

Yeah; giving Brick Kamikaze really, really helped. The difference between 3:2 IP and 3:1 IP I imagine is significant. Also, afterwards I realized I probably could have started his adrenaline pump from the get-go; he's got 7 damage compensation from his cyber+drugs, so even when it wore off he wouldn't be winded from it. He'd just pass out when the Kamikaze wore off in 20 minutes. That would make for an interesting run cyber.gif . You don't know time restrictions until you know how hard it is to move a 15 body troll whose just knocked himself out from a combat drug binge.

-DrZaius

EDIT:
Working on an Adept with some cyber/bioware.

Question: Platelet Factories + Damage Compensation 3, or Aluminum Bone lacing?
Answer: Went with Aluminum Bone lacing. Let's see how it works out in the fight.
McCummhail
Here is a dwarven adept that may be interesting.
He has a bit of bioware installed as well.
[ Spoiler ]
DrZaius
The Terminator's competition, another dwarf.
[ Spoiler ]

Anyone laying odds? cyber.gif

EDIT: Ha! Remarkably similar builds smile.gif I think your stun damage track is low though (8 + Will/2)
Doc Chase
Hmm. I'll go with the Adept on this one, but he'll need to throw a lot of head shots in order to win it.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 23 2010, 11:05 AM) *
Hmm. I'll go with the Adept on this one, but he'll need to throw a lot of head shots in order to win it.

Heh; dropping 10 dice on his attack isn't going to make it easy, that's for sure.
Doc Chase
I like an underdog. biggrin.gif
McCummhail
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 23 2010, 12:03 PM)
The Terminator's competition, another dwarf.
Anyone laying odds? cyber.gif
EDIT: Ha! Remarkably similar builds smile.gif I think your stun damage track is low though (8 + Will/2)

Thanks for the catch! It is amusing how similar they turned out.
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 23 2010, 12:09 PM)
Heh; dropping 10 dice on his attack isn't going to make it easy, that's for sure.

Statistically, it would be in your favor to call a shot to add damage (+4DV, -4dp) instead of negating the armor.
Favorably factored it takes +12 dice to offset +4DV for only a loss of 4 dice.
Losing 10 dice to remove his 10 dice is effective, but using only 8 dice to attack is a heavy handicap.

Taking just the called shot for damage sets you even odds attacking (14 dice attack to 14 dice block).

Using this tactic, I put the odds heavily in the adept's favor.
DrZaius
QUOTE (McCummhail @ Jun 23 2010, 12:33 PM) *
Thanks for the catch! It is amusing how similar they turned out.

Statistically, it would be in your favor to call a shot to add damage (+4DV, -4dp) instead of negating the armor.
Favorably factored it takes +12 dice to offset +4DV for only a loss of 4 dice.
Losing 10 dice to remove his 10 dice is effective, but using only 8 dice to attack is a heavy handicap.

Taking just the called shot for damage sets you even odds attacking (14 dice attack to 14 dice block).

Using this tactic, I put the odds heavily in the adept's favor.

I'm working on it now; we'll see how it works out! The Tank can also call shots, so it's anyone's fight.
-DrZaius
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012