Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caracas: Hole in the Heart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Abschalten
Caracas: Hole in the Heart

"Hole in the Heart" is a PbP game I intend to start that takes place in the dangerous urban hell known as Caracas. The game will be done in a gritty, street level, film noir style, but with a distinctive South American flair. Fans of hard-boiled fiction and those who enjoy themes of hopelessness, cynicism, and depravity will find themselves right at home.

Details on Caracas itself can be found in Runner Havens, pages 124-127; and in Ghost Cartels, pages 134 and 135. I will be using this material as a reference, since I think the setting is magnificent for the style of game I want to run. However, whatever is not laid out on the page is within my domain to invent and create as I see fit. Since Caracas is more or less a bare-bones city as of right now, this minimal description gives me great leeway to come up with a living, vibrant backdrop. Characters may leave Caracas at some point, but the game will be based there primarily.

The game will start towards the end of the Ghost Cartels arc, when Tempo is still on the streets but starting to slowly fade as distribution channels are disrupted. Political tensions are high between Aztlan and Amazonia, with Caracas as the tainted, black prize in between them. The city is already on the verge of anarchy and complete collapse. It’s a scary time to be alive in Caracas.

This campaign will be VERY roleplay-oriented. There will be dice rolls for situational resolution, but I am looking for dedicated posters who really want to explore not only my twisted version of Caracas but also plumb the inner depths of their own tortured PCs. As stated previously, this is going to be a game done in a very film noir style. Your characters should be built to survive in such a world and mesh up thematically. Caracas is very dangerous, and only the toughest and hardest runners can make it, though doing so may come at a very heavy cost.

We will be using the optional Severe Wounds rules as described on pages 120-122 of Augmentation, for that extra gritty and dangerous feel. If you take enough damage, you will feel it in the morning. While I am not out to capriciously kill off characters, I do intend to create high tension, dramatic scenarios. If you’re twisted like me, you think it’s awesome when your PC is suffering from grievous bodily injury, because it adds to the story.

Characters will be built with the standard 400 BP character generation. All of the core books (SR4A, Augmentation, Arsenal, Street Magic, Unwired, and Runners Companion) will be allowed and used. There is a twist, however. The standard limit on Qualities applies, in that you can take 35 BP worth of Positive and 35 BP worth of negative. However, there is a list of negative Qualities from which you MUST choose AT LEAST ONE for your character, though you can take as many as you’d like from the list, up to the limit. Any negative qualities from this list are worth x1.5 (round up) their standard value. So for example if you take Bad Luck (20 BP), you would instead have 30 extra BP to use for your characters. This incentivizes making flawed, imperfect, tormented characters and also makes them slightly stronger than standard 400 BP PCs, meaning you have more points to spend on skills, special attributes, spells, etc.

This list of Negative Qualities is:
Addiction (Moderate or higher), Bad Luck, Scorched, Uncouth, Uneducated, Enemy, Bad Rep, Bi-Polar, Big Regret, Borrowed Time, Lost Loved One, Hung Out To Dry, Paranoia, Poor Self Control (any), Prejudiced, Amnesia (10 BP only), and SINner (Criminal), Cyberpsychosis

Allowed: Any of the standard metatypes and the metavariants in Runners Companion.

Disallowed: Drakes, AIs, Changelings, Infected, Sapient Critters, Free Spirits.

Requirements to be in this game:
• Must be a dedicated poster (RL circumstances are understandable)
• Must be willing to play an imperfect, tormented character in a harsh world
• Must be willing to play in a game with adult themes
• Must have an affinity for film noir and hard-boiled fiction

I Will:
• Engage you all as a team
• Help you explore your individual storylines
• Work with you if foresee an extended absence
• Do my damn best to create an enjoyable gaming experience for you all

Do not apply to play if you are not willing to stick around for the long term. I am not even fucking kidding about this. I want a handful (five or six at most) of dedicated, enthusiastic posters, and I really don’t want to have to write somebody out of an engaging story and fill that spot back in. I want to get to know your characters and see into their souls. I want to challenge them, and force them to confront their personal demons.

Now that I’m done with the pitch, all I can ask is: anyone interested? smile.gif

Edit:
Players:
1. Combat Mage - "Amnesiac Sam" (Street Samurai)
2. Rastus - Smiley (Rigger/Smuggler)
3. Doc Chase - Kennedy "Sonora" Rojas (Social Adept)
4. DrZaius - Stephen Jacobs (Ork Magician/Investigator)
5. Mister Juan - Dexter Pope (ex-Special Forces)
6. MDI - Esteban Moreno (Troll Pitfighter)
7. Lamhslea - Chaske Mato (Technomancer)
8. Rystefn - Raul Blanca (Athletics Adept)

That's It Folks! - Recruitment is Over!
Abschalten
House Rules

1.) Ammo Faucet - All regular ammo is free, virtue of the Caracas Municipal Water System. All sinks have three nozzles: one for hot water, one for cold water, and one for bullets. (Yes, this is a joke... or is it? wink.gif ) You don't have to make tests for regular ammunition, nor do you have to buy it in character generation. Of course, you still have to buy other stuff - no free stick-and-shock, anti-aircraft missles, or panther cannon rounds.

2.) Wardrobe - We're here to play Shadowrun, not Barbie Shopping Simulator. I assume you have a reasonable wardrobe representative of your overall character and Lifestyle. You have jackets, coats, shoes, cosmetics, underwear, etc. You will not have to go to the store to buy a nice suit, nor will you have to spend money on it in character generation. I will not expect a Squatter or Street level character to have a 5,000 nuyen.gif suit and tons of golden jewelry, though. There are limits. Just look at the Lifestyle for your character and assume you have something in the closet that fits that level or lower.

3.)Scatter - I hate the new, "improved" scatter rules in SR4A. I have no idea what they were trying to "fix" but they failed miserably. For scatter we will use the older rules in SR4, the non-anniversary edition. I'd like to think that grenades have uses aside from blowing up the user and not the intended recipient.
Combat Mage
This sounds really awesome. I've been looking for the opportunity to play a character with amnesia and that film noir flair is just the thing for me.

I'm thinking of a guy that wakes up in a dark alley under a black sky, heavy rain is falling and he realizes that he has no idea where he is or even who he is. His body is aching with half-healed bullet wounds and a gun is lying next to him. Before he has time to think his situation over, he sees people appear on the streets pointing at him and raising weapons. He grabs the gun and stumbles out of the alley as the first shots barely miss him.

Mechanically it would be a street sam. I'm thinking of letting him start with amnesia, enemies and either big regret or lost love ones (or both) all tieing into the background story. Maybe an addiction too.

Of course with amnesia it's more fun to not know the exact background as a player but I don't know how you want to handle that. I can think up the background myself and seperate player from character knowledge or I can drum up a rough concept and let you do the details (which would be fun for me but more work for you). wink.gif

Probably a guy who started as an idealist but made a big mistake that cost him everything, his work, his girlfriend, his friends and family and led to him being hunted.

i have to think about this a little bit more, this kind of game needs a really fleshed out concept.
Abschalten
My idea for the Amnesia quality is that I would come up with the background and have you retracing your steps and trying to rediscover what you've lost. You can come up with a very rough outline but I'd need that giant "hole," so to speak, so I can come up with a good story. smile.gif

I actually waffled on Amnesia, but the deciding factor in its favor was this old NES game I played years ago, Deja Vu. Did you ever play that? You start off in a bathroom stall, waking up from unconsciousness, with no idea what your name is or who you are. There's a trenchcoat hanging off the door and a gun underneath it, and you have absolutely no idea why you are there. It's done in a film noir style and it provides a compelling narrative, so that's what made me allow Amnesia. smile.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
There's an island in Oceania called Narau, on which Aztechnology runs a penal colony. They use the prisoners as a workforce--putting goods together, or doing deep sea mining nearby. But there's another facet of Narau: the pit fights. After lights out, select prisoners are forced to fight while the guards watch and gamble. The more blood is spilled, the more fun the guards have. Lots of blood gets spilled.
Word has it, last year there was a riot. In the confusion a few of the prisoners stole a boat and got away. I hear a couple of them are hiding in Argentina, but one of them? A big troll named Coatl. One of their pit fighters. Word is, he's in Caracas, looking for some payback on the people who sold him out to the Big A...

EDIT: I remember Deja Vu! I rented that damn game a bunch of times from the place down the street. Never did get very far in it but it stuck with me, for sure.
Abschalten
You're quite in luck, Martin. In my version of Caracas underground pit fights abound, since life is cheap. Lots of skilled fighters come from Aztlan to take part in the circuit, especially fighters skilled in Sangre y Acero. The cyberimplant fights tend to be the bloodiest and have the highest stakes.
Combat Mage
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 24 2010, 10:17 AM) *
My idea for the Amnesia quality is that I would come up with the background and have you retracing your steps and trying to rediscover what you've lost. You can come up with a very rough outline but I'd need that giant "hole," so to speak, so I can come up with a good story. smile.gif

I actually waffled on Amnesia, but the deciding factor in its favor was this old NES game I played years ago, Deja Vu. Did you ever play that? You start off in a bathroom stall, waking up from unconsciousness, with no idea what your name is or who you are. There's a trenchcoat hanging off the door and a gun underneath it, and you have absolutely no idea why you are there. It's done in a film noir style and it provides a compelling narrative, so that's what made me allow Amnesia. smile.gif

I never played that game but the funny thing is I totally imagined my character waking up in that alley wearing a trenchcoat with a gun lying on the ground. It's just so film noir. wink.gif But I think the Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines game had a very film noir style too, that's what came to my mind when I read your intro.

I'd love it if you do the background, that means I can discover it as a player not just as a character. Would I still choose the qualities (like big regret and such) and you would decide what exactly it was?
Abschalten
@Combat Mage: You most certainly can choose them. However, expect the impact to be exacerbated due to the Amnesia quality. Of course, if you're posting in this thread that won't deter you. smile.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 24 2010, 01:21 AM) *
You're quite in luck, Martin. In my version of Caracas underground pit fights abound, since life is cheap. Lots of skilled fighters come from Aztlan to take part in the circuit, especially fighters skilled in Sangre y Acero. The cyberimplant fights tend to be the bloodiest and have the highest stakes.

I don't know if I'd call it luck, exactly. nyahnyah.gif Although I guess bad luck counts, too.
I'm definitely going to take SINner. I was thinking of taking Enemy and pumping it up to represent AZT, but given the noirish feel it would probably be more appropriate to ignore Aztechnology and instead take Hung Out To Dry and a smaller Enemy to represent the folks that set Coatl up. (Not sure yet what he was set up for, but I'll figure that out tonight while I try to fall asleep.)
Digital Heroin
Oh the agony of so many threads starting at once, while I'm still getting the last bits of starting my own game off done... and such a promising bit of gritty this looks to be.
Rastus
Well it's about time you got around to this, been waiting forever. Without further ado, my rigger/smuggler, because it just ain't noir unless you got a glorifed taxi with fancy gadgets(or maybe that's more pulp noir).

Cesar de'Silva aka "Smiley"

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

And for everyone else, here's a little extra dose of noir.
BlackHat
My interest is certainly piqued, and I am usually a very avid poster. I'll see what I can get put together tonight.
crizh
I recently had a few ideas for darker characters that I would love to explore and Caracas sounds like just the place to really let your hair down.
Abschalten
After rereading my pitch I wanted to post and clarify something. Caracas is a dangerous place and runners needs to be equipped to deal with it, but I don't necessarily mean that you need to all play cyborgs with max armor ratings layering the FFBA, or cybertrolls or anything. While some bullets may fly, I'm mostly speaking in terms of emotionally and psychologically. The kind of armor that will serve you best is not the kind you buy down at WeaponsWorld, but rather the kind that keeps you somewhat sane and functional in a world that seeks to tear you down. I'd still like to get a nice blend of characters and roles, so not everyone has to build sams.
Doc Chase
Been more than a few years, Abs.

I'll have to see what I can put together tonight post-workthing.
DrZaius
I'm interested. I think this time I'll try a character outside of my comfort zone a bit, to try and spice things up. I'll noodle on it for a while and get back to you.

-DrZaius
Abschalten
Take your time. I'll have this thread up a week or more. That should be enough time for everyone to come up with character ideas.
Renard
I'm definitively interested.

I think about playing a medic, does this suit you ?

Martin_DeVries_Institute
Lord knows we're probably going to need one.
Rastus
Yeah, a medic is definately a talent to have around just in case.

... Unless we face off against a special ops team, right Abschalten? nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
Burnt out, on the edge ex Force Recon Marine, reporting in.
When do you want a character sheet in by?

Dexter Pope
[ Spoiler ]

Abschalten
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jun 24 2010, 07:44 PM) *
Yeah, a medic is definately a talent to have around just in case.

... Unless we face off against a special ops team, right Abschalten? nyahnyah.gif

Oh man, fuck you for even bringing that up. wobble.gif
Abschalten
@Mister Juan: Holy shitballs, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Good job!

Edit: As for when character sheets are due, let's try to get them all in in about a week. Say July 1st? I'll make the pick of who gets in based on who I think would work in the game. I really like the driblets I'm seeing so far, though. I'm getting all excited and coming up with some cool ideas. If I get carried away I might allow more than I originally planned in and weave you guys in and out of the main arc. But you guys will never be without events going on. There will essentially be as many plotlines as there are players, not including whatever overall plot arc I've got cooking at the time.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 24 2010, 08:38 PM) *
@Mister Juan: Holy shitballs, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Good job!

I actually created this character a long time ago, in the hopes that a dark gritty game would someday come along wink.gif Somehow... it seemed appropriate to submit him nyahnyah.gif

I was wondering, are you using any special house rules for contacts?
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Jun 24 2010, 07:49 PM) *
I actually created this character a long time ago, in the hopes that a dark gritty game would someday come along wink.gif Somehow... it seemed appropriate to submit him nyahnyah.gif

I think you've found that game. Oh, and Paris Island! You know I live in SC, right? smile.gif

I was wondering, are you using any special house rules for contacts?

I sometimes use Cha*2 in free points. But considering you guys will be able to get extra points by loading up on those special negative qualities, I think it might be a bit much to allow that in this case.
Renard
Lt. John Alistair Shepherd, D.V.M., R.V.A.C.

[ Spoiler ]

Just a short overview of my concept...
Abschalten
Edit: The list of players and those still needing character sheets have been moved to the first post.
Rastus
So... Day later and nobody else has got any new concepts to share to the rest of class? Don't tell me you all got intimidated by Juan's little short story. nyahnyah.gif

Remember, sooner you give a concept to work with, the sooner Abs can plot terrible, terrible things to do to your character.
DrZaius
Is a face still a face when no one will return his calls?

[ Spoiler ]

Doc Chase
My idea for a Social Adept, Kennedy "Sonora" Rojas:

Light background/Motivation:
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes - 160 BP + 75 BP for Specials = 235 BP + 30 for metatype = 265 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Skills - 136 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Magical Adept Powers, Hooray! - 6 Power Points
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts - 22 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Gear - 2 BP (HAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAA)
[ Spoiler ]

Grand total:
Metatype: 30
Attributes: 160
Special Attributes: 75
Skills: 136
Gear: 2
Contacts: 22
Qualities: -25
=========
400 BP
I am feeling better and better about this now that I have things fleshed out.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 01:14 PM) *
My idea for a Social Adept, Kennedy "Sonora" Rojas:

Light background/Motivation:
[ Spoiler ]

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Magic Adept powers will be redone - I have Rapid Healing 3, but it doesn't entirely fit with the concept. I'll update it after I get home, as will I with the contacts. I need a good fence, and I think I know who it will be...

Edit: Zaius, how is it we have the same idea for a character, but we go different ways? Goodness gracious. biggrin.gif

It might make more sense to use your guy; as a face without contacts is just an elf with a small pistol... nyahnyah.gif That is pretty funny though.
Doc Chase
I could see the two playing off one another to work a particularily nice con. I'll probably end up reworking some more to squeak a few more contacts in - I have a nun I'm turning into her fence, but keeping her a nun.

It'll be great.
Abschalten
Man, I really like what I am seeing. Keep those character sheets coming in, guys!

@Doc Chase: Kudos for taking Borrowed Time. That backstory gives the quality some serious class.
@DrZaius: That's so interesting, making a face with "Hung Out To Dry." Not a bad concept at all.
Doc Chase
I giggled when I was able to use the campaign title as the description for the quality.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 01:42 PM) *
I giggled when I was able to use the campaign title as the description for the quality.

I was quite amused, too. smile.gif
Rastus
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 02:34 PM) *
I have a nun I'm turning into her fence, but keeping her a nun.

The nun's organization wouldn't happen to be named the Church Of Violence would it? If anyone spots a maid carrying a briefcase and umbrella, run for the car as fast as possible or get left behind.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jun 25 2010, 06:50 PM) *
The nun's organization wouldn't happen to be named the Church Of Violence would it? If anyone spots a maid carrying a briefcase and umbrella, run for the car as fast as possible or get left behind.

I thought about it. Heck, I'm still thinking about it, but Kennedy fences things like fine jewels and pieces of art (and dataz). I don't think maids with overlarge parasols will be involved. biggrin.gif
Rastus
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 02:52 PM) *
I thought about it. Heck, I'm still thinking about it, but Kennedy fences things like fine jewels and pieces of art (and dataz). I don't think maids with overlarge parasols will be involved. biggrin.gif

Thank god. A pair of young children causing destruction with a combat axe and machinegun I can handle. They're creepy as all hell, but hardly competetors for the goddamn Terminator.
Combat Mage
Normally I would have fleshed out my character's background, contacts, important NPCs and all that stuff but since that would kinda run against the whole amnesia thing I'm just posting the sheet.

"Amnesiac Sam"
[ Spoiler ]
Abschalten
*squeals with delight!* biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I've been... EAGERLY waiting for your character, Combat Mage. Oh the sweet, sweet music we shall make together... devil.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 25 2010, 08:03 PM) *

I've been... EAGERLY waiting for your character, Combat Mage. Oh the sweet, sweet music we shall make together... devil.gif

Did anyone else just hear a demonic laugh masked as thunder?
Combat Mage
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 25 2010, 09:03 PM) *

I'm a little bit afraid now. rotfl.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Just wanted to post, sayingI know I've been quiet on this front... I will have my character up on Sunday, probably.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Jun 25 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Just wanted to post, sayingI know I've been quiet on this front... I will have my character up on Sunday, probably.

That's cool, man. You've got until the evening of July 1st. smile.gif

I must say I've been looking forward to your character, too. We need a big, strong troll to balance out all these dandelion eaters!
DrZaius
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 25 2010, 02:13 PM) *
That's cool, man. You've got until the evening of July 1st. smile.gif

I must say I've been looking forward to your character, too. We need a big, strong troll to balance out all these dandelion eaters!

I like my guy, but if you feel our group needs a mage, I could make another, or modify Lopez.

EDIT: I mention it because Kennedy looks really thought out, whereas my guy is basically just the concept at this point; "A Face with Hung out to Dry".

-DrZaius
Rastus
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 25 2010, 03:13 PM) *
We need a big, strong troll to balance out all these dandelion eaters!

What? The hot-sim addicted thrillseeking human rigger with a past filled with rebellion and criminal misdeeds who loathes the Japanese and owns a spycar doesn't balance things out?

Edit: Speaking of spycars and trolls... Martin's guy might make things tough. Not only is Smiley going to have to take out seats, force people to sit on laps, and stuff smaller people into trunk but the extra weight is going to make automotive acrobatics difficult.
Abschalten
@DrZaius: That's totally fine. We do need a magician at this point, but I'm going to look at all the characters and see how to work them into this twisted, sordid tale.

And I've had tremendous fun and experience playing a magician. I would be more than happy to help you build one.

Should you build one, however, I will go ahead and tell you that some areas of Caracas are pretty astrally polluted and there will be a background count. And if you go outside of Caracas into the forest, the fact the Green Wall itself is living AND awakened will make astral navigation and targeting out there a bit of a pain in the ass. But the group does need one, and I can give you tips to compensate for these things if you only but send me (or anybody else who volunteers to help) a PM. smile.gif
Abschalten
QUOTE (Rastus @ Jun 25 2010, 03:19 PM) *
What? The hot-sim addicted thrillseeking human rigger with a past filled with rebellion and criminal misdeeds who loathes the Japanese and owns a spycar doesn't balance things out?

Throw your mom into that package and I think the equation balances out nicely.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 25 2010, 02:21 PM) *
@DrZaius: That's totally fine. We do need a magician at this point, but I'm going to look at all the characters and see how to work them into this twisted, sordid tale.

And I've had tremendous fun and experience playing a magician. I would be more than happy to help you build one.

Should you build one, however, I will go ahead and tell you that some areas of Caracas are pretty astrally polluted and there will be a background count. And if you go outside of Caracas into the forest, the fact the Green Wall itself is living AND awakened will make astral navigation and targeting out there a bit of a pain in the ass. But the group does need one, and I can give you tips to compensate for these things if you only but send me (or anybody else who volunteers to help) a PM. smile.gif

Seems like the type of place an Eco-shaman might find gainful employment..
Abschalten
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jun 25 2010, 03:22 PM) *
Seems like the type of place an Eco-shaman might find gainful employment..

You know those are quite in vogue with Amazonia, right? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012