Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wards
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
Does aura masking allow a critter/mage/free spirit to pass through a ward undetected? Also when a mage passes through a ward with deactivated foci why is he then able to reactivate them on the inside without detection? The same mage can also summon spirits once he is inside as well without detection or am I reading the rules wrong?
Mongoose
Aura masking won't let you pass through a ward undetected on its own, but I think there's a more advanced version that allows you to attune your aura with the ward to "spoof" it and pass through.

As for the deactivated focus- well, the ward has no effect on things that aren't present on the astral plane. So the mage himself can pass through just fine if he's not using astral perception / projection. Similarly, a deactivated focus that isn't active is just a physical object like any other- wards don't have the ability to use astral perception and detect mages and foci that aren't astrally active!

Once past the ward you can do whatever you like, because you aren't interacting with the ward. Same way you can just walk normally once you get over a fence.
Dahrken
The basic Aura Masking metamagic technique is enough, but you need to have assensed the aura of the creator of the ward in order to be able to suplicate it well enough to fool the ward (Opposed test Ituition+Magic+inititation grade vs ward's Forcex2. Material, sympathetic or symbolic links can also be used for the aura sync process, but this adds extra penalties to the roll.

See Street Magic p. 124 for the complete rules about this.

And yes, once you're inside you can happily play with your focuses, spells or spirits. The ward is not a volume, but just it's surface and it only react to auras crossing it in the astral plane. A summoned spirit pops from his native metaplane to the summoner, a spell or a focus draws on ambiant mana etc... Obviously if your spell is ranged and you target something outside of the ward, then there is a crossing and a reaction.
Hamsnibit
Advanced Masking Metamagic just allows you to cloak other dual natured objects/persons in your range too and nothing more.
Shinobi Killfist
Huh I wonder if you have extended masking so you can mask your focuses, does the ward see them? I assume a active magical link is an active magical link they would interact with the ward but I am not sure. I guess if you assensed the wards creator you could spoof it for you and your focuses with extended though.
Dahrken
Since even the creator of a ward cannot cross it with activated focuses, I don't think this would work.
Falanin
But, with extended masking, can't you make the auras of your activated foci look as though they were mundane?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jun 29 2010, 11:05 PM) *
Since even the creator of a ward cannot cross it with activated focuses, I don't think this would work.

Why on earth do you say that? A ward's creator can let anyone and anything he chooses to pass through.
Aarakin
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 30 2010, 03:18 PM) *
But, with extended masking, can't you make the auras of your activated foci look as though they were mundane?

Extended Masking makes the aura of the foci/spell/whatever look mundane, but it is still present on the astral and so has to deal with astral barriers.
So an active focus has to deal with going through an astral barrier if it is masked or not (unless the barrier/ward is yours of course)
Ol' Scratch
Actually, Extended Masking does exactly what it says; it extends your Masking to your foci, spells, etc. So if you use Masking to spoof a ward, all those spells, foci, and etc. get to come along for the ride, too.
Dahrken
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 30 2010, 07:35 AM) *
Why on earth do you say that? A ward's creator can let anyone and anything he chooses to pass through.

Anyone yes, but anything ?

The only things I've been able to find in the rules is that a mana barrier or a ward does not affect it's creator and that he can see though them, pass though them at will and allow other to do so. Him, not his spells or focuses. The desription of the "Mana Barrier" spell does not explicitely state an exception for your own stuff either.

I think you could extend the rules for pressing through a barrier to the aura synchronization process : each net success of the opposed roll (Magic + Charisma to force through/Intuition+Magic+Initiation to synchronize vs 2xForce) allow you to bring 1 friend, spirit, active focus, sustained or anchored spell though with you rather than automatically carrying everything and the kitchen sink.

And yes, I would ask a roll to synch your active focus or spells well enough to carry them through a ward/barrier of your own creation.
Ol' Scratch
Anyone yes, but anything ?

Yep. It's just kinda dumb to assume otherwise. They have full control over what can and cannot pass through their wards.
Dahrken
Would you allow a mage to set a mana barrier he created to stop incoming spells, inflicting large penalties to them, but so that he and his buddies can hapilly slings spells against targets on the other side unaffected ? A perfect one-way anti-magic shield ?
Ol' Scratch
Yep. That's pretty much the point of wards. Protect you, screw them. The rules for that (like most of the rules regarding wards) assume that it's a hostile spell being cast against those protected by the ward, not the other way around. Though I see why you'd think otherwise courtesy of the always wonderfully worded rules.
DireRadiant
SM p. 125 "Aside from being transparent
or opaque depending on viewing direction, polarized
wards function as basic wards and block unauthorized spells
and astral forms."
Ol' Scratch
The one thing I never understood is why does it have to be the creator's aura you're spoofing to get past a ward? Wouldn't mimicking any authorized individual's aura be sufficient?
Mr. Unpronounceable
That's arguably correct...however, the ward's creator is the only guaranteed authorized individual.
Wandering One
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jun 30 2010, 01:18 PM) *
That's arguably correct...however, the ward's creator is the only guaranteed authorized individual.

This. If you knew a ward was keyed for another 'allowed' person, it should work spoofing that other person just as well. It's just that the ward always recognizes its creator and the creator won't (can't?) revoke that person's access.

EDIT: Sorry, fast fingers... creator won't (can't?) revoke his OWN access. [/EDIT]
Ol' Scratch
I'm aware. I just think it's odd that the rules don't even allow for that option.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jun 29 2010, 10:05 PM) *

If he made the Foci (they will have his astral signature) and he has excluded himself from triggering the Ward, I do not see why he would not be able to cross the Ward with the Foci Activated, or Spells Sustained. The Rules for Wards allow that after all.

That may just be me though...

Keep the Faith
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 30 2010, 12:10 PM) *
SM p. 125 "Aside from being transparent
or opaque depending on viewing direction, polarized
wards function as basic wards and block unauthorized spells
and astral forms."

The KEY part of that Quote being "UNAUTHORIZED Spells and Astral Forms"... Pretty sure that that covers a Mage's sustained spells and foci...

Keep the Faith
Ol' Scratch
I'm pretty sure that was his point.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 30 2010, 08:37 PM) *
I'm pretty sure that was his point.

Indeed... My Guess as well... wobble.gif

Keep the Faith
Dahrken
OK, I didn't see this one... It's a shame that something so fundamental in the way the thing work is explicitely said only in passing and in a supplement rather than in the main rulebook. Poor wording indeed !

This leaves a question still unanswered. Is the astral signature of the caster/creator/owner of a spell/focus enough to say pass/block, or does this authorisation need to be granted/removed on an individual spell/focus basis ?
Ol' Scratch
The former.

Don't make it more complex than it is, man. smile.gif Wards are intended to be a boon for their creator and those its created to protect. It's not supposed to be a nuisance or liability.
Dahrken
If the signature is the key for spells/focuses, with Flexible signature could you fake (probably with a Magic+Intuition and maybe Initiation) the signature of the ward's creator - or someone allowed to cast spell through - on your own spells so that they pass through unimpaired ?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Jul 1 2010, 12:14 PM) *
If the signature is the key for spells/focuses, with Flexible signature could you fake (probably with a Magic+Intuition and maybe Initiation) the signature of the ward's creator - or someone allowed to cast spell through - on your own spells so that they pass through unimpaired ?

That is actually what Masking is for... though You could make a good argument for Flexible Signature being used in that way...

Keep the Faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012