Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultramobile Aquariums
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SkepticInc
Now that we have Transparent Aluminum [link] would it be possible to make ultramobile aquariums? I'm thinking of aquariums in shapes like the old ant-farm: two slices of glass with an ecosystem in between them, likely with nutrient and water exchange ports somewhere accessible. Another way to phrase the question would be: What is the smallest sized aquarium that a Bad Guy can keep his blue-ringed piranha octo-fish inside of so that he can eventually get killed by in in a very poetic justice sort of way?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 29 2010, 05:11 PM) *
Now that we have Transparent Aluminum [link] would it be possible to make ultramobile aquariums? I'm thinking of aquariums in shapes like the old ant-farm: two slices of glass with an ecosystem in between them, likely with nutrient and water exchange ports somewhere accessible. Another way to phrase the question would be: What is the smallest sized aquarium that a Bad Guy can keep his blue-ringed piranha octo-fish inside of so that he can eventually get killed by in in a very poetic justice sort of way?

While awesome, i think Shadowrun isn't that far technologically:

QUOTE (WikiPedia)
To create transparent aluminium, more power than is used by an entire city had to be focused into a dot with a diameter of less than one-twentieth of a thickness of a human hair, and then could only maintain the transparent state for 40 femtoseconds

Remember, it took them till 2065 to develop wi-fi silly.gif
SkepticInc
Ok, so no transparent aluminum. How about transparent alumina [link]? It works with ceramic as opposed to metal, which is a much more robust and mature technology. There is current interest in using it for armored windows on military vehicles, and if it can be mass produced it can be used to increase the overall sheer strength of buildings (higher high-rises, earthquake proofing, etc).

[ Spoiler ]
Stahlseele
There were ultra mobile aquariums in the 70's / 80's allready . . in shoes of all places . .
hermit
That would explain why car windows use the general armor rating.

I don't see how this makes aquarium more mobile than glass, since the density isn't that lower than with regular glass.
Stahlseele
And why would you not simply use safety dance . . err, glass . . or plexi-glass/high strength transparent plastics for something like this?
Dr.Rockso
How about transparent alumina

Sounds much more promising. But doesn't SR already have rules/ratings for super glass?

And why would you not simply use safety dance[...]

You can glass if you want to?

SkepticInc
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 29 2010, 09:31 PM) *
And why would you not simply use safety dance . . err, glass . . or plexi-glass/high strength transparent plastics for something like this?

Well, if you were on a PSWAT (Paranormal Special Weapons And Tactics) squad, you could stick some Force 10 Biofiber (Arsenal p65) inside of a riot shield or make containment panels that you could use to seal off an area from Astral snoopers. I imagine any team that would use a Forensic Thaumaturgy Kit might want panels like that.

Your PSWAT team would also get a PR bonus, because their equipment looks so pretty as they go blasting into a wacked out magic crime scene.
hermit
Well, if you were on a PSWAT (Paranormal Special Weapons And Tactics) squad, you could stick some Force 10 Biofiber (Arsenal p65) inside of a riot shield or make containment panels that you could use to seal off an area from Astral snoopers. I imagine any team that would use a Forensic Thaumaturgy Kit might want panels like that.

Yes, something like that was in Corp Security.

Your PSWAT team would also get a PR bonus, because their equipment looks so pretty as they go blasting into a wacked out magic crime scene.

Only in LA.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 29 2010, 09:44 PM) *
Yes, something like that was in Corp Security.

If you can take it that far, can you build an anthroform vehicle with biofiber armor plates? I could see some Transhumanists wanting a Leech Construct suit, or armor that makes them look like a Greenman or something. Add in Astral Pigments, and it's very pagan-chic.
Dr.Rockso
Only in LA.

Really? I would say only in Miami silly.gif

"Detective! It appears the victim was mauled in half by a barghest! His entire left side is no where to be found!"

"Well it looks like the he's" *slides on AR goggles* "...all right"

[ Spoiler ]
Martin_DeVries_Institute
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jun 29 2010, 01:37 PM) *
You can glass if you want to?

Yes. But you should leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't glass, and if they don't glass then they're no friends of mine.

I do like the idea of the riot shield with biofiber woven into it, though.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Jun 29 2010, 09:54 PM) *
Yes. But you should leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't glass, and if they don't glass then they're no friends of mine.

I do like the idea of the riot shield with biofiber woven into it, though.

Not woven, but grown in a small aquarium between armored plates. Almost arbitrary shapes, but bulky, and heavy. It would be like making armor out of stained glass: gorgeous, but fracking heavy.
hermit
If you can take it that far, can you build an anthroform vehicle with biofiber armor plates? I could see some Transhumanists wanting a Leech Construct suit, or armor that makes them look like a Greenman or something. Add in Astral Pigments, and it's very pagan-chic.

Transhumanists apparently have lots and lots of money to throw around.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 29 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Transhumanists apparently have lots and lots of money to throw around.

I think so. I tried to figure out who would actually have the money, the desire, and the ability to change themselves in ways that take weeks and make them less than employable. Who would deliberately put cephalopod suckers on their underarms and grow themselves dark blue skin? Really rich brats. If you remember the Goth movement IRL, the only people who could really trick out their homes with coffins and go in for body modification were rich brats. The rest of us just looked like ass with crappy coats and cheap makeup. The same group of people who would buy an Icarus™ The Brick That Soars©, would be the trendsetters in the Transhuman movement. Any body mod that trickled down to the unwashed masses would be years out of "cool" for the elite. They could also throw sweet parties in Orbit, and invite the current 15-minutes of fame Changeling as the star of the party.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (SkepticInc @ Jun 30 2010, 12:00 AM) *
Not woven, but grown in a small aquarium between armored plates. Almost arbitrary shapes, but bulky, and heavy. It would be like making armor out of stained glass: gorgeous, but fracking heavy.

Rent-A-Coppers of the Future are supposed to be Muscle-Heads anyway . .
SkepticInc
There are also the Manahazard Containment Devices, which I guess do exactly what I was describing, but are all in right-angle geometries. But the entry does set a precedent for "a simple self-contained symbiotic ecosystem" which is the kind of thing that's likely to make the start thinking up all sorts of fun things. Stay tuned, more Manatech weirdness to come from SkepticInc, I'm sure.
Dumori
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Jun 29 2010, 10:19 PM) *
Remember, it took them till 2065 to develop wi-fi silly.gif

Not true IIRC the had it b4 crash one. Whent with wires after the crash then after the 2.0 they whent back to wifi of uber high band width.
Dumori
Biofiber under the armor of veicahal is a must other wise ou get a low force spirt apareing in side and frying it.
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Dumori @ Jun 29 2010, 05:54 PM) *
Not true IIRC the had it b4 crash one. Whent with wires after the crash then after the 2.0 they whent back to wifi of uber high band width.

Basically, the fastest wifi connection prior to the crash was capable of transferring data at around 15-20 Mp per minute (calculated based on the specs for data storage amd images from 2E), while fiber could transfer at several thousand Mp per second and a cyberdeck needed the higher bandwidth to function effectively against the first crash virus. Now wifi is up to around 100-200 Mp/sec, which is plenty for matrix access and interaction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012