Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] Professional Ship-Stealing!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nezumi
Saw this article, thought it was relevant to running. Seems an easy hook for a run (especially if it has that Special K weapon I posted about before).
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100702/wl_time/08599200106200

[ Spoiler ]
hobgoblin
as they say, real life is stranger then fiction. Stuff like this, and how rarely it shows up on the evening news, makes me ponder how much joe wageslave really knows about SR daily happenings, vs what the shadows know.
Brazilian_Shinobi
lol, this was actually amusing and disturbing at the same time.
CanadianWolverine
Was this the same guy who retrieves airplanes too?
LurkerOutThere
In the strange but interesting careers field I read an article not too long ago, perhaps it was posted on here, about a outfit that repo's planes. Wild stuff.
Backgammon
Seriously cool article, thanks smile.gif

On a side note, this again llustrates no problem cannot be solved by the judicious application of prostitutes.
hobgoblin
Even my Haitian fixer says he doesn't believe in voodoo, but whenever the priest arrives he makes himself scare.

lovely.
kzt
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 2 2010, 07:07 AM) *
In the strange but interesting careers field I read an article not too long ago, perhaps it was posted on here, about a outfit that repo's planes. Wild stuff.

That was mine. Grab the Airplane and Go
MortVent
Just hope it's not a repo from the Azzies... they sank a ship vs losing it.

FlakJacket
Here's another newspaper story on him I posted a few years back that gives more in-depth details on the voodoo priest on the football field story. The kicker? The cargo ship he was reclaiming was apparently called the Aztec Express. smile.gif
toturi
So he steals the ships?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 3 2010, 06:25 AM) *
So he steals the ships?

after they have been stolen by someone else, or have defaulted on a loan that have them as security.

basically, a repo-man specializing in grabbing big ships rather then cars or similar.
toturi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 3 2010, 08:09 PM) *
after they have been stolen by someone else, or have defaulted on a loan that have them as security.

basically, a repo-man specializing in grabbing big ships rather then cars or similar.

so he's basically a pirate that steal stolen ships...
Belvidere
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 3 2010, 07:49 AM) *
so he's basically a pirate that steal stolen ships...

Effectively, yes. Haha, he's the robin hood of the sea... for hire.
LurkerOutThere
Well pirate is a very funny and narrow term in maritime law, I'm not sure if there is as enat and snappy a term for what the person in the article does. To pirate someone you have to take control from those who are legally entitled to have it, which he does not do.
toturi
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 3 2010, 11:50 PM) *
Well pirate is a very funny and narrow term in maritime law, I'm not sure if there is as enat and snappy a term for what the person in the article does. To pirate someone you have to take control from those who are legally entitled to have it, which he does not do.

Once the judge issues the seizure order, those people who hires him isn't legally entitled to have it anymore.
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Well, except for
BEFORE repossessing a ship, they make sure the vessel has been seized illegally and the claims filed against it are fraudulent.

IE, there's no basis for seizure orders to be filed. When corrupt officials take bribes to expedite the illegal seizure of someone else's property, that is piracy. What he's doing is kinda the opposite.
Faraday
They're pirates, alright. The folks that seized the ships in the first place paid good money to get those bribed officials. Not to mention they hire from the local, downtrodden populace of those countries! What kind of villain steals from the 3rd world?!
toturi
QUOTE (Martin_DeVries_Institute @ Jul 4 2010, 09:46 AM) *
IE, there's no basis for seizure orders to be filed. When corrupt officials take bribes to expedite the illegal seizure of someone else's property, that is piracy. What he's doing is kinda the opposite.

He is a pirate that steals from other criminals. That doesn't necessarily make it right or legal (in the country of the ports he steals the ships from).
LurkerOutThere
For someone with such a reliance on RAW-fu your basis of legal fu is lacking.
toturi
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 4 2010, 09:09 PM) *
For someone with such a reliance on RAW-fu your basis of legal fu is lacking.

Perhaps my legal-fu is lacking, certainly I am not a lawyer.

If the country in which he re-possesses the ship doesn't have anti-corruption laws or has lax anti-corruption laws such that what the official is doing can't be proven to be such in that particular country and that the country does have laws against such actions that he has taken, why would his actions be legal?
LurkerOutThere
Because maritime law is international and without borders, it is conceivable that a country could hold itself seperate from the those laws but unlikely. For example even "Rogue States" like North Korea mostly hold by that. I'm not saying there's no grey area in what he's doing just that piracy is fairly specific and narrow terminology.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012