Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check my rules comprehension, please.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
I'm making an AI character housed in a modified Cyberspace Designs Dalmatian drone. According to Arsenal, p.129, "Vehicles have a slot maximum of 4 or their Body Attribute, whichever is higher." For my purposes, I am assuming that this also applies to drones. The Dalmatian's Body is 4, so it has 4 modification slots. The objective here is to field a tricked-out sensor platform so the AI can fly overwatch and act as the team scout, while also being able to support them in a firefight.

[ Spoiler ]

Total cost of drone, not including sensors or weapon: ¥17,600
*Improved Sensor Array (Vehicle Sensor Package, Capacity 12) equipped with:
[ Spoiler ]

Total cost of sensors: ¥6850
**I am assuming that added armor stacks with stock armor, i.e., that in order to reach the Dalmatian's maximum allowed armor of [Body 4 x 3 = 12] I need only add 10 armor. If this is incorrect, please cite book and page.
***Normal fixed external remote-controlled weapon mount with:
Ingram White Knight LMG ¥2000
250-round belt of regular ammo ¥500
Total cost of weapon + ammo: ¥2500

Grand total: ¥26,950
Books used: SR4A and Arsenal
Amidoinitrite?
Deadmannumberone
The ECM is limited to 6 at chargen, as is armor mod unless the GM house rules otherwise (this is typical, however).

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 4 2010, 02:07 PM) *
**I am assuming that added armor stacks with stock armor, i.e., that in order to reach the Dalmatian's maximum allowed armor of [Body 4 x 3 = 12] I need only add 10 armor. If this is incorrect, please cite book and page.

Last sentence of the armor mod description states that you're replacing the existing armor.
Tanegar
So it does. Armor cost has been updated to reflect that, thank you. I think I can get my GM to relent on the ECM and armor limits.
Udoshi
If you can't, invest in the relevant Shop type facility in character creation, and put the relevant mods on with your starting cash as soon as the game starts. It should work out to be about the same - modding yourself nets you half-off materials(hardware skill ruling in the main book).

I would also strongly consider going to a ford LEBD-1, out of arsenal. It comes with a weapon mount, and a mechanical arm, to boot. You can save a bit on sensors/slots by holding a jammer in the mechanical arm, or offloading some sensor capability to the mechanical arm with the optional rule that lets them have capacity. (Mostly Scanner systems and NLJD's, out of augmentation.)

Other than that, yeah, it looks good.
Five Eyes
Sensors might have some issues.

When an Availability for an enhancement is +blah, does that mean that the Avail overall is (Base +x +y +z) or that you're buying 4 items at Avails of (base, x, y, z) - if the latter, why the +?

Ultrasound takes 2 Capacity from a visual device, which I believe puts your camera at 7 slots out of 6 capacity

The SR4a changes pdf states that all audio enhancements take 1 capacity, so your microphone should be fine (but the text in my book preceding the description of the enhancements says they take one Capacity per rating - I suspect that's an error)
Tanegar
You're right about Ultrasound taking 2 Capacity, which I had missed. Sensor package updated to remove Image Magnification.

I note that Augmentation features a cyberlimb mod which increases Capacity (Bulk Modification, p.44). Is there a similar mod for vehicles and drones?
Udoshi
You're wrong about ultrasound.

There are, in fact, three different kinds of it.

Camera accessories.
Cyberware (ultrasound sensor)
and external US sensors.

And they all use different types of capacity frown.gif

Its pretty stupid, but drones can't take ultrasound just by itself - its got to be on a camera. I know, its stupid, but Capacity(for cyberlimbs) is not Sensor capacity.

In this particular case, it just costs one accessory slot on a camera.
Five Eyes
Cite?

I thought we were talking about the Ultrasound Vision Enhancement, which is on Page 333 of SR4a and takes two Capacity from a camera, goggles, etc. etc.
Udoshi
I am not sure where you're getting Ultrasound/2 capacity from.

The blurb under vision enhancements on page 333 says nothing about two capacity. (at least in my printing). It adds +8 availability and 1000Y to the price of a camera.
The ultrasound sensor on page 339 costs 6k nuyen, and takes two capacity - from a cyberlimb. See 343 for details on that.
Tanegar
The very last sentence of the Ultrasound entry on page 333 of SR4A reads, "This enhancement uses up 2 Capacity." Annoying, but there it is.
Udoshi
I have found the rules descrepancy.

My PDF of 4thA, does not have the line about two capacity. My hardcover book, however, does. So, yes, under the most recent revision of the rules, Five eyes is correct.

Thanks a lot, catalyst.
Five Eyes
Ah, that makes more sense. Thought I was losing my mind. I've only got a physical copy, so I'm always worried that I missed something that searching a digital copy could turn up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012